WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just saw a watch on The Bay that looks an awful lot like the Mil Spec Bulova UDT and wondered what you all thought. It is item # 171637124804 I'll try to post a pic
note: this pic is of a very similar watch but is NOT the watch on EBAY.
The ad below is the actual watch!!!!

Attachments

Reactions: jah

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How does this watch not intrigue you? Could it be real? Could it be all correct? If it is what would it be worth?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Bulova UTD. The rarest of the rare?

If it is a UDT there were very few made and only three still surviving.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just broke $10,000. One without a bezel went for $18,000. You have to wonder whether the sellers story is true? Never opened it?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,277 Posts

How does this watch not intrigue you? Could it be real? Could it be all correct? If it is what would it be worth?
How does it not intrigue me? Hmmm...not sure how to answer that. Does the watch intrigue me? Decidedly no. To me it is a dull design that I would not chase regardless of it's purported rarity. However if there is a hole in your collection that needs filling then go for it if you can validate it's authenticity. Realize that the seller has dropped several hints about it's heritage but hedged them extensively. Do your homework or you will be rolling the dice with a lot of money on the table.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

John, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the look of it but without provenance i would not bid on it. There are also stories that a seller had one on ebay and was bidding his watch up and eventually never sold the watch. I would love to know where it came from.

Reactions: John MS

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,277 Posts

John, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I love the look of it but without provenance i would not bid on it. There are also stories that a seller had one on ebay and was bidding his watch up and eventually never sold the watch. I would love to know where it came from.
I agree. That's why we enjoy and collect what we do. About 10 to 12 years ago there was a minor flood of 1960's Omega Seamaster 300 dive watches on the market. Really attractive in the Ebay pictures, but many of them were marriages of new parts from China and vintage Omega parts. So I'm a skeptic when it comes to rare watches.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts

My first question is where is the case serial number, the ones I have seen pictures of have the movement number of the case as well.

The second question is the guys sells a lot of vintage watches, says he has never seen this model before, don't you think that would make bells go off in his head? If you search "vintage Bulova dive watch" on google pictures come up on the first page. I can't imagine he would not have done at least a cursory look for info on an odd watch...that looks quite like a Blancpain even if you don't know the Bulova/BP Tornek story.

He is gonna open the thing up before I would bid (if I was interested), a guy who deals in vintage watches will have to be able to open a case back, for bids in the 10K range and I guarantee someone has ask him, well unless he has already been inside it...

The story goes there were 6 of these, could have been a very few more, my bet is it is not what it seems, I can't believe the guy is not savvy enough to have a clue what this could be and researched it.

It doesn't look like shill bidding from what I see. It is obvious what people think it is, my guess is it will top $20K and if two serious bidders both are sure it is real it could REALLY take off, maybe into the 40-50K range. If real it is a HELL of a find and could rewrite some "history". I am really skeptical but at the same time looking at his auctions the guy doesn't seem to play in the big boy pond so who knows he could be that naive, I wish I knew where he actually got it. This level of franken just wouldn't end up at a flea market or estate sale.

Reactions: locolockman

·
Registered
9,883 Posts

For that price, I'd rather buy a used Fifty Fathoms.
I tell you what, if you ever happen on a verifiable UDT, call me and I will happily trade you my Fifty Fathoms for it, heck I will go buy you a brand new one to trade for it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What he said ^

·
Registered
514 Posts

I tell you what, if you ever happen on a verifiable UDT, call me and I will happily trade you my Fifty Fathoms for it, heck I will go buy you a brand new one to trade for it.

Haha, I keep l'll keep my eye out for one, then!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

My first question is where is the case serial number, the ones I have seen pictures of have the movement number of the case as well.

The second question is the guys sells a lot of vintage watches, says he has never seen this model before, don't you think that would make bells go off in his head? If you search "vintage Bulova dive watch" on google pictures come up on the first page. I can't imagine he would not have done at least a cursory look for info on an odd watch...that looks quite like a Blancpain even if you don't know the Bulova/BP Tornek story.

He is gonna open the thing up before I would bid (if I was interested), a guy who deals in vintage watches will have to be able to open a case back, for bids in the 10K range and I guarantee someone has ask him, well unless he has already been inside it...

The story goes there were 6 of these, could have been a very few more, my bet is it is not what it seems, I can't believe the guy is not savvy enough to have a clue what this could be and researched it.

It doesn't look like shill bidding from what I see. It is obvious what people think it is, my guess is it will top $20K and if two serious bidders both are sure it is real it could REALLY take off, maybe into the 40-50K range. If real it is a HELL of a find and could rewrite some "history". I am really skeptical but at the same time looking at his auctions the guy doesn't seem to play in the big boy pond so who knows he could be that naive, I wish I knew where he actually got it. This level of franken just wouldn't end up at a flea market or estate sale.
I agree that it doesn't look like shill bidding but while I was watching this yesterday it went from $10,200. down to $5000 I have never seen an auction do that. I agree about opening the back, too many questions, unless he knows the answers and doesn't like them.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts

Just looked at some of his other auctions, funny he didn't open this one (should have a 10BPCHN movement) BUT he has pictures of a Seamaster movement he also has up for sale.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts

I think it's super cool, but I couldn't see myself paying much over $1,000 for it. With the auction over $10k it's clear others feel differently.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

The watch is now at $11,000. I have twice asked the seller for more info and pics of the movement, crickets chirping. Too many questions, the first is how someone could bid $11,000 for a mystery watch. If it's real it would be sensational, I'm betting not.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,277 Posts

The watch is now at $11,000. I have twice asked the seller for more info and pics of the movement, crickets chirping. Too many questions, the first is how someone could bid $11,000 for a mystery watch. If it's real it would be sensational, I'm betting not.
If real, the high bidder can recover with a disputed sale through Paypal or the credit card company. When a rare watch suddenly appears on Ebay I look for a lot of supporting documentation. The needle on the Skeptic-o-Meter is climbing.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts

I think it's super cool, but I couldn't see myself paying much over $1,000 for it. With the auction over $10k it's clear others feel differently.
From "just another watch" perspective I agree, cool and all and maybe worth 1K for the look and the apparent condition. The key is if it is REAL and if one can put together the evidence to prove authenticity it could bring BIG numbers at auction.

This is a really intriguing auction to me and I just wish I ha some way to know the end of the story.

Reactions: locolockman
1 - 20 of 57 Posts