WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just won this on ebay tonight for around 70 dollars. I think it might be a military watch from the 60s but the pictures are so bad I cant make it out and the description was lacking in the ad. The strap is interesting as well but not sure if correct as i have never seen one before. I took a chance anyway I might be wrong but for the price I can deal with it or if needed return it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I'm with James A, but no one will know for sure until it arrives.

As a afterthought, from the looks of the case and James A example, I would hope other "equipment" we supply our men and women in the military holds up better than these watches did......

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
It is a issued Bulova watch. But it is not from the 1960's. What you have is a WWII Bulova A-11 Navigation watch . This was a manual winding watch that had the Bulova 10AKCSH movement in it.

The case was chrome plated with a stainless steel case back.

Crown looks original and so does the crystal. The early plastic crystals tended to degrade and turn yellow, blue or blue green. While cool to look at, the degrading chemicals cause the dial and hands to rust. So you need to change that quickly.

The reason the watch was chrome plated was so that bunches of watches could be made quickly and sent to the military. The watch was meant to be disposable even though the Bulova 10AKCSH was a very good movement that could be serviced and regulated.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a issued Bulova watch. But it is not from the 1960's. What you have is a WWII Bulova A-11 Navigation watch . This was a manual winding watch that had the Bulova 10AKCSH movement in it.

Crown looks original and so does the crystal. The early plastic crystals tended to degrade and turn yellow, blue or blue green. While cool to look at, the degrading chemicals cause the dial and hands to rust. So you need to change that quickly.

The reason the watch was chrome plated was so that bunches of watches could be made quickly and sent to the military. The watch was meant to be disposable even though the Bulova 10AKCSH was a very good movement that could be serviced and regulated.
Oh wow so this could be ww2? Ive only looked into Elgin ww2 watches and never was able to get one at a decent price. If this is a ww2 watch I am VERY happy because ww2 era is my favorite and adding it to my collection would be great. Also what about that band? Added later I guess? Thanks alot.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey journeyforce!
If you still have that 96B250 Bulova watch for sale, please reply to my PM.
Or at least post a reply to the sale thread that it's already sold.
I'm trying to contact you for weeks now.
Thanks.
Sorry for off topic.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cant wait to get this watch now and tracking says thursday it gets here. Anyone know what size crystal this takes? Just so I can order it ahead of time. Ive wanted a ww2 watch for a long time!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Go on Ebay and type "Bulova crystal military 10AK" into a search and you should get some hits.

The lume is likely made with Radium so be careful not to inhale any lume dust during replacement.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the watch after I cleaned it up a bit and quickly changed out that yellow crystal because of what was said above about them causing rust dont know if its "correct" but it fits. Does the watch look genuine? Broken balance staff. Has what I believe is called hack feature as well. I took the screw to the balance part out myself. Seems I was first in 60 years to take the back off. I thought it was going to destroy the case but it eventually came off and didnt damage anything.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
That's one nice A11 there, Freddy... I'd only suggest that you take it off that bracelet, you wouldn't want it to chew into the plated lugs more than it already did.

A canvas or distressed leather strap would make it look way better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts