WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the bezel of my trusty daily wearer Tudor Black Bay Black just randomly popped off the watch, and it is definitely broken. I don't think it is supposed to come off in the first place, and after I snapped it back in place, the clicking mechanism no longer works. It just spins freely.

Has anyone else had this happen with a Black Bay or heard of it happening? I'm curious whether this is a common issue or just an unlucky fluke.

I trust this issue should be covered under warranty? I bought the watch new from a local AR less than 9 months ago, and I would think this qualifies for warranty repair. Even so, I'm still bummed because I assume it will take weeks if not months to get it back from the service center. Oh well. That's life I guess.

·
Registered
154 Posts
That is a bummer, I'm sure it's a just a fluke and will be covered under warranty. Hope the turnaround is quick, I would think so since they don't really have to open the case or anything.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
The whole watch is now broken. Just put it into an envelope and mail it to me for proper disposal :)

I suspect that is a fairly easy fix but. I'm not positive that it is going to be covered under warranty. Did you bang the watch to cause the bezel to come off? Are there any sign of external damage?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
There are a number of springs and clickballs that will have fallen out (hence the free spinning). Not sure if these can be purchased from Ofrei/cousins etc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
As others have mentioned here before, the new Rolex/Tudor bezels are constructed differently and not end-user repairable or even removable. You have to go to the AD and a one-time only disposable washer is needed to install, even if you do have all the other parts. Makes you long for the days of simple bezel construction, pushrod engines, and cars that needed human drivers...oh wait

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a bummer, I'm sure it's a just a fluke and will be covered under warranty. Hope the turnaround is quick, I would think so since they don't really have to open the case or anything.
Fingers crossed!

The whole watch is now broken. Just put it into an envelope and mail it to me for proper disposal :)

I suspect that is a fairly easy fix but. I'm not positive that it is going to be covered under warranty. Did you bang the watch to cause the bezel to come off? Are there any sign of external damage?
Nice try. :) I did not bang the watch or do anything to damage it at the time it came off. I was just wearing it in the normal course. And I have never had any serious sort of accident with it. Sure it has lightly knocked into a doorframe or something like that a handful of times, but never hard enough to leave any visible damage. And I can't remember the last time that happened, so it definitely wasn't right before it fell off. In other words, this wasn't a case of banging it or dropping it that caused the bezel to get knocked off. It just came loose in the course of normal wear, after about 8.5 months of ownership. So this is why I'm hoping it is covered under warranty and feel that it should be.

There are a number of springs and clickballs that will have fallen out (hence the free spinning). Not sure if these can be purchased from Ofrei/cousins etc

Thanks for the info!

Pictures sir. We need pictures.
I'm not a very good photographer, but here are one that shows it with the bezel snapped back in place and one showing it with the bezel removed:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Fingers crossed!

Nice try. :) I did not bang the watch or do anything to damage it at the time it came off. I was just wearing it in the normal course. And I have never had any serious sort of accident with it. Sure it has lightly knocked into a doorframe or something like that a handful of times, but never hard enough to leave any visible damage. And I can't remember the last time that happened, so it definitely wasn't right before it fell off. In other words, this wasn't a case of banging it or dropping it that caused the bezel to get knocked off. It just came loose in the course of normal wear, after about 8.5 months of ownership. So this is why I'm hoping it is covered under warranty and feel that it should be.

Thanks for the info!

I'm not a very good photographer, but here are one that shows it with the bezel snapped back in place and one showing it with the bezel removed:

Get a metalworking shop to machine you a smooth bezel and have the world's first 41mm version of the BB36

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get a metalworking shop to machine you a smooth bezel and have the world's first 41mm version of the BB36

That is certainly a worthy idea! But now that I have become used to wearing a dive watch daily, I find myself frequently using the bezel for various purposes (albeit not timing dives).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update & Question: Did Rolex just service my watch for free?

Thought I would update with the happy ending: Rolex fixed the bezel for free under warranty. When I took the watch in to my dealer, at first I was told that it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty because Rolex normally doesn't cover things on the exterior of a watch. But since it "just broke," rather than me actually damaging the watch, we all agreed it was worth asking. So the watchmaker did ask them, and they did fix it. So major props to Rolex/Tudor! I also go a nifty Tudor pouch and cleaning cloth in the bargain!

BUT, the receipt I got back from Rolex, in addition to listing the bezel repair, also has the following notes on it:

"1 Tudor Warranty Factory Movt Service-pres prf"
"Service compliments of Rolex."

Does that mean they actually also serviced my watch? Pretty neat if so. I didn't request that, and the watch didn't need it--it's less than a year old and was running great (+0.2 sec/day) before I took it in. So no biggie if they did not service it. But if those notes mean that they did service it for free, well that's pretty nice of them. (Or maybe the bit about "pres prf" means they just checked the water proofness?)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Glad they covered the repairs for you (as they should with a new watch under warranty IMO). I like that bag / cleaning cloth! Thanks for the update!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts