1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The first one 34mm is stated in the auction. This may include the crown as from a quick google search I saw another watch that had a case number of 2402 that measured 32mm. I'd ask for a picture with a ruler in it next to the watch. The movement is a 342 not 330 (it's marked clearly on the movement in the pictures) also the serial # date's it to no earlier than 1950 see here. The pointy A's and the M being a little big has me agreeing with the seller when says he thinks it's redone (far from the worst re-dial I've seen though).

The 2nd one definitely has a touched up dial, the applied markers don't match up with the painted dial ring. if you are interested I'd request pictures of the inside of the caseback and the movement. It's just not worth the risk otherwise. When i see someone saying they think it's 14k or 18k but have marked it as gold filled to be safe my BS meter pegs, with current gold prices it's at least a $400 difference between a solid gold men's omega and a gold filled one of the same type and condition definitely worth taking the time to open or have the watch opened to be sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, your concerns mirror my own. I have found a few others and am chasing those down. What are general thoughts about redone dials i.e. good, bad, doesn't matter as long as its done well? Since this is my first venture into vintage I appreciate reading posts and hearing opinions. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts