WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common and/or acceptable to have bubbles or bumps on the sides of leather straps such as in the attached picture? On this strap, the bumps are only on one of the four sides of the two strap pieces.

It is my understanding that if this occurs, it typically occurs during the sealing process. Anyway, I know that leather straps are largely handcrafted, but the bumps do stand out to me and I would like to know whether this is generally acceptable in higher end straps. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Is it common and/or acceptable to have bubbles or bumps on the sides of leather straps such as in the attached picture? On this strap, the bumps are only on one of the four sides of the two strap pieces.

It is my understanding that if this occurs, it typically occurs during the sealing process. Anyway, I know that leather straps are largely handcrafted, but the bumps do stand out to me and I would like to know whether this is generally acceptable in higher end straps. Thanks.
Depends what you're referring to as "higher end straps". I can only tell two things from this strap...1)Its just a minimal stitch strap and 2.) the edges were done in a haste.

Just my personal opinion, but these two things don't make me think this strap cost more than $85. If this strap was more expensive, I don't think I'd make a big deal about it, but you'll probably find a better value out there if you keep looking.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
534 Posts
None of my custom straps are like that. Is it acceptable? I'm sort of anal about stuff like that. Once I noticed it, I wouldn't be able to un-notice it.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
It’s not a good price of leather. Many ostrich straps have pimples (which I do not like) but that strap doesn’t look like it’s ostrich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I have no idea how to redo the edge work. I exchanged the strap and will keep an eye out going forward. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,888 Posts
Yeah, that's a fresh-cut edge with whatever coating on it. They look like air bubbles more than anything else, so...if that is an air bubble, that has to be a thicker, paint-like coating; a stain would just outgas, not bubble. That might be fixable, albeit not perfectly.

I suspect one thing this might show is lower-grade stitching or construction...some gap, say, between the leather and the padding. Obviously not much, but there shouldn't be any. However, if you're buying a low-end strap, this is going to happen from time to time.

EDIT: another possibility is it's glue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Level .5x,

How much do you consider a fair price to pay for a non-exotic leather strap to buy one without annoying defects? Is there some manufacturer in particular you might recommend?

Depends what you're referring to as "higher end straps". I can only tell two things from this strap...1)Its just a minimal stitch strap and 2.) the edges were done in a haste.

Just my personal opinion, but these two things don't make me think this strap cost more than $85. If this strap was more expensive, I don't think I'd make a big deal about it, but you'll probably find a better value out there if you keep looking.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Level .5x,

How much do you consider a fair price to pay for a non-exotic leather strap to buy one without annoying defects? Is there some manufacturer in particular you might recommend?
Hey Rob, to clarify, I dont think 'annoying defects' are ok at any price point. Im glad the OP made the return/exchange but from my experience as a buyer, you aleviate alot of these shoddy craftsmanship errors when you're willing to spend more than $85. Going under that can be dicey. Make sure the person shows lots of pictures...front, back, and sides, or make sure youve seen pics from customers. If the OP saw this seller's edge work prior to ordering, then Im not sure he would have needed to ask us if acceptable. If the seller shows all his straps with flush edges and no bubbles, then clearly the expectation would have already been set. But often times, a lot of strapmakers just show the top angle which anyone can make look good. Ive made that mistake of spending $56 on Etsy and I learned looks can be deceiving. Granted, I should have done more homework on the seller. In fact, I started a thread just like this one asking if the strap I bought was "normal" because I didnt really have a good idea of what to expect at that price point either. I just kept the strap though and moved on but thats just me. The leather I bought looked really nice in pictures but it was uninspiring in person. I could also see pencil marks used to trace cuts still on the leather...I would consider that in the same realm of shoddy craftsmanship as these bubbles tbh.

As far as a recommended manufacturer, I make my own straps now. But Ive been very happy with Bas & Lokes straps. Very well made.

Here's some of my edge work Ive done and more...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts