WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a trick to heat sealing the end of a zulu (particularly a light colored one) to make it clean and neat without bubbling or blackness?

Thanks!

CAS

·
Vendor
7,339 Posts
Use a WARM iron, not hot, without steam obviously, and be patient, if you try and rush it with the iron too hot or use alot of pressure it will burn.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, watch. No open flame-Check!
It always worked in the Army, but we didnt care what the end of a strap looked like, either.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
is there a trick to heat sealing the end of a zulu (particularly a light colored one) to make it clean and neat without bubbling or blackness?

Thanks!

CAS
I remember melting, not burning, cargo staps to make in to watch straps in the Army. We heated a knife blade and cut with the hot blade.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Burning the ends with a lighter works on some stuff, but thats what is turning this black. The iron worked great.

CAS

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I took a piece of aluminum foil and heated it on the stove (I may have put it on a cookie sheet first, I can't recall), then rubbed/smeared the edge of the strap on that. Same principle as the iron, but I didn't want to have to worry about getting melty plastic crud on the iron (and subsequently on my clothes).

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a tool made for doing just this type work with velcro....
I ran across the advertisement/site back a couple years ago.

It was a site for hobby and crafts stuff...
I can't even remember what I was searching for..... It may have been different styles of velcro...
I remember searching once to find out what all is made in a velcro format..
With the idea of using velcro to make watch straps....

In any case,at one of the sites there was this tool that is to simplify the cutting and hole punching (when necessary) all that's needed for velcro...

This tool/machine sealed the ends,melted holes did it all....
It wasn't very large,hand held size, It was a 110v AC thingy.

Search....you'll find it.......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts