WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us justify a new purchase by saying something like that to yourself?

You see a great sale, and think "Well it is really only $XXX.XX out of pocket AFTER I sell X, Y, or Z"

Then of course that $XXX.XX gets a little bigger as time goes on...you lower your price faster then normal, after all you HAVE to refill the bank account/pay the credit card/replenish the watch fund before the wife finds out/or the bill is due/or to make yourself feel better. Then you have PP fee's, shipping fee's.

I stopped buying for myself a few months ago. I have gone so far as to stop buying watches to flip for nearly a month! (that's a big deal!) I have been Down to 2 personal watches for months. My trusty GShock Aviator, and my Hamilton Jazzmaster. Perfectly content. Then along comes an awesome sale on a beautiful Hamilton automatic chronograph...My "mini grail" truth be told. I should have walked away....But....I didn't.

It is a never ending cycle.

Sigh....See you in the sales forum....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yep

I have way too many things to sell unfortunately.

My new strategy is to have fixed number of watches. If I want a new one I need to let go of another one which ensures I really want the new one. Of course, this just makes your point. But at least I am no longer selling stuff from other hobbies to fund my watch hobby.

·
Registered
716 Posts
In that boat as I write this. Got one watch up in the sales forum, while I wear the one that was SUPPOSED to be bought with the funds from the sale. It was too good of a deal to pass up you see…

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
You are so right. It's a never ending cycle and when we think contentment has finally settled on our wrists, along comes something. Something new, shiny and utterly irresistible. I wanted a dive watch and had to get a UTS. In order to do so, I decided I had to sell two watches to fund one. I actually came out $100 in the positive, but down a watch, which really isn't a bad thing. But I'm already eyeing my next conquest and so it will be. I recently said that if something new is to come, something has to go, but what do I do when I really like what's in my collection? We're watch lovers and watch lovers buy watches. At least we're not doing anything harmful or illegal or god forbid, taking food out of the mouths of those who depend on us. So yes, see you in the sales forum soon!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Yep
But at least I am no longer selling stuff from other hobbies to fund my watch hobby.
Ha, just sold most of my cameras and lenses for this one.

Reactions: RBrylawski

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
Oh, my logic is much simpler: "I should get it now 'cause prices will only be going up, right? " . . . .

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Oh, my logic is much simpler: "I should get it now 'cause prices will only be going up, right? " . . . .
Because we are, after all, masters of rationalization/justification, right?!

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
519 Posts
OP, didn't I just see a post from you in the sales forum?!? I don't know what you are talking about.

BTW I would love to make you an offer on the Hammy View, but I am trying to sell one to pay for the one that wouldn't cost me more than 2 bills AFTER I sell the one posted in the sales forum except I already bought the one that my wife said "ohhh that's nice, is it new?" now that the CC bill for the summer vacation that I bought the watch for is due at the end of the month, which WON'T be a problem after I re-fund the PP account with the sale of the watch that everybody wants but cannot pay for because they are waiting for a sale to go through. Whew!

I have no clue what you are talking about my friend. (looks at the watchbox thinking "hmmm, I don't wear you much...I think I still have the box and papers"...)

G :-d;-):):roll:

Reactions: RBrylawski

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ha, just sold most of my cameras and lenses for this one.

You must have kept one of the good cameras friend because that is a gorgeous pic. Well done.

G

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP, didn't I just see a post from you in the sales forum?!? I don't know what you are talking about.

BTW I would love to make you an offer on the Hammy View, but I am trying to sell one to pay for the one that wouldn't cost me more than 2 bills AFTER I sell the one posted in the sales forum except I already bought the one that my wife said "ohhh that's nice, is it new?" now that the CC bill for the summer vacation that I bought the watch for is due at the end of the month, which WON'T be a problem after I re-fund the PP account with the sale of the watch that everybody wants but cannot pay for because they are waiting for a sale to go through. Whew!

I have no clue what you are talking about my friend. (looks at the watchbox thinking "hmmm, I don't wear you much...I think I still have the box and papers"...)

G :-d;-):):roll:

Birds of a feather....

·
Registered
519 Posts
You are so right. It's a never ending cycle and when we think contentment has finally settled on our wrists, along comes something. Something new, shiny and utterly irresistible. I wanted a dive watch and had to get a UTS. In order to do so, I decided I had to sell two watches to fund one. I actually came out $100 in the positive, but down a watch, which really isn't a bad thing. But I'm already eyeing my next conquest and so it will be. I recently said that if something new is to come, something has to go, but what do I do when I really like what's in my collection? We're watch lovers and watch lovers buy watches. At least we're not doing anything harmful or illegal or god forbid, taking food out of the mouths of those who depend on us. So yes, see you in the sales forum soon!
So true. but think how lucky we really are, there are poor souls in this world who play this game with women! At least your watch doesn't want to know why you are looking at other watches on the net, and they don't lawyer up when you are ready to trade up! (dang, gotta go, j*ma$hop flash sale, I'm just looking I swear!!)

G

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes, this exactly.

Reactions: drhr
1 - 13 of 13 Posts