WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as an owner of a blue G-056, my battery recently died. So, being a rational person, I took it in for a battery replacement.

Big mistake.

Now the buttons are all wrong, and it seems as though it's been flipped around so that the C button is now B, etc. I tried fixing it, but I ended up accidentally popping the watch part out of the case o| but put it back together (thank God for the wiki for help!) and now it doesn't boot up. I really hope it's the touch AC/battery thing that's needed.

How badly am I screwed? What went wrong?

Thanks in advance for any tips and such.

Oh and hi, I'm the new guy. :)

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Welcome! :)

Probably just a reset problem - it doesn't always work first time.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :-!

Try the reset like suggested. Make sure you don't lose the little alarm spring. If it is really broke, you can try sending it to Casio for replacement. And you should probably try to get a refund for the incompetent battery replacement (or at least yell at them). I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh good. Fortunately I haven't lost the spring (yet) so I'll try again!

Worst case scenario, I buy a new G-Shock (eyeing one on Amazon for 36USD + free shipping.) :D

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
Hi KinkoftheRing,

Didnt you put the module upside down in the case? I have seen strange things, but button functions move from one to the other button is new to me.

Maybe there is something else wrong. The case buttons push agains metal strips, which touch a contact on the module. Maybe one of those buttons has slipped under the metal strip, causing another button to work.

If you look from above on the module, when it is in the case (back and rubber back protector removed), you can see the four buttons. I haven't opened a G-056 yet, but I think it's the same as all G-Shocks I have opened. If I'm correct you should see the buttons on the inside of the case making contact to the metal strip. Sometimes you see the buttons from the case under the metal strip. Often the module also lies a bit higher in the case, because the metal strip is pushed upwards by the button. If you take a sewing pin or a needle, you can push the metal strip a little inward an the module will fall i it's place. The button now makes contact on the outside of the metal strip and your buttons should work fine.

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great news!

It turns out it was merely a reset thing - I took it apart and reset it using nothing more than a Leatherman pocket tool and broken Obama pin (foreshadowing something? :D) It works like new now.

Why the buttons did what they did is still a mystery - the screen was still in the right direction, but they did the wrong things - I'm guessing it wasn't reset right.

:thanks for the advice!

edit- Yes, Sjors, it is exactly as you described. The watch module is pressing against the metal strip(s) connected to the buttons.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Hi, as an owner of a blue G-056, my battery recently died. So, being a rational person, I took it in for a battery replacement.

Big mistake.
just a little reminder: being a rational person often means to swim against the stream. in this case it means next time do it yourself in the first place, as you just learned the hard way ;-)

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
just a little reminder: being a rational person often means to swim against the stream. in this case it means next time do it yourself in the first place, as you just learned the hard way ;-)
I totally agree. When I first went ahead to change my MRG-1000's battery, I was really p***ed to see the metal tounge that sticks out from the module to touch the case back bent, presumably by the watchmaker at one of the few shops that actually sold MRGs in Germany and who charged me 12€ for doing so.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't need to pay someone to ruin my watches. So there's not much to lose while doing it myself... ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts