WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Perhaps this has been asked before but I was unable to find the answer.
Im sure this can be beneficial to many.

Is there any reason for concern or for a seller to be duped of the buyer offers to arrange and pay shipping.
How about if we add another layer of complexity and the buyer is located overseas in a country where UPS ships to?

I would like to add that the person who made this offer had a shady reputation on the forum.

Thank you all for your input.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
The last sentence says all I need to know. If the person doesn’t have a good rep, then the deal is off already.

Regarding the buyer setting up shipping, I had a buyer do that from Germany and he had DHL come pick it up from my house so that was easy for me, so it can work.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is a huge red flag. Traditionally this is because the buyer is hoping to get the watch (or whatever it is) out of your hands before you figure out the money is no good. I’ve seen situations where they claim they need it immediately for a gift for their sick father in country X and they’ll pay for the shipping. Within an hour some foreign freight forwarder pulls up to your door. The next day you’re told the payment is no good/was hacked/bogus/bounced

·
Registered
628 Posts
I was the one who got in touch, I offered to pay and arrange shipping with UPS.

First of, when you write shady reputation, I had some negative feedbacks, this because I failed to reply a few members. I´ve never cheaten anyone in my life, never.

I have more than 65 positive transactions on here, half of them was done with this method of shipping.

I have pages of positive feedback which concerns actual finished transactions, mostly all my buys have been done this way, I arrange and pay shipping with UPS.

There´s nothing shady or no huge red flag with doing things this way, in the end you have the option of declining the offer on the table.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Typically the seller is protected by the insurance on the package if it gets lost etc- what happens in that case here? Does the buyer get the insurance $?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Typically the seller is protected by the insurance on the package if it gets lost etc- what happens in that case here? Does the buyer get the insurance $?
The package is insured, I get the insurance cause I booked it. In case the package gets lost, I get the funds, the seller already got paid by me. No one loses anything.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Nothing wrong with buyer using his own label. I’ve accepted that kind of offer to ship overseas. Just require the payment first(obviously) AND bank wire only (not through a clearing house).

- Todd

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never dealt with this method of shipping before, especially overseas, and was wondering what the ramifications could be.
Thank you all for your input. A learning experince for sure.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would add the caveat to my earlier message that if the money has cleared into your account and you’ve confirmed this independently, the risk is significantly reduced. I’m not sure why the buyer would want to do this unless they were using a work account under the table or something but who knows?

UPS/FedEx/DHL where you drop it off is one thing. Random courier or freight forwarder showing up to your home is something entirely different.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Sometimes sellers are charging some arbitrarily high shipping price, or they want to use a more expensive service, and you find a cheaper solution. It may also involve declaring value for insurance and/or import duties - seller may not be willing to declare a lower valu, because it would be his loss if the shipment is lost/damaged/stolen.

·
Premium Member
5,049 Posts
I've used this method with overseas buyers - I'm located in the USA - at least twice with satisfactory results. In fact, I prefer this approach when the buyers is out of my country. My responsibility ends when the watch is safely with their shipper. Insurance, tracking and everything else is on them.

I've noticed there's some conflict between the OP and the would-be buyer that may be coloring their feelings on the subject.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I've used this method with overseas buyers - I'm located in the USA - at least twice with satisfactory results. In fact, I prefer this approach when the buyers is out of my country - my responsibility ends when the watch is safely with their shipper. Insurance, tracking and everything else is on them.
Agreed. Especially with an international shipment. If the package is lost, stuck in customs, etc, it is the buyer who now has to contact the shipping company.The seller is out of the loop once the package is dropped off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am from outside US, too. I did buy a watch here twice with arranged transport as a service for the sellers who were not familiar with overseas shipping.

This has benefits for both buyer AND seller (most already mentioned above):
  • no work for the seller (big plus)
  • buyer gets the parcel company and service he trusts (I once waited 3 months for a watch the was send VIA SHIP!!!).
  • buyer gets the security-level he wants to have (insured or partly insured or even no insurance)
  • fair and transparent shipping costs. i.e. buyer pays the freight not the seller ;-)
  • in case of problems the buyer is the contractor of the parcel-service and hence can make requests etc. etc. Most parcel services do not interact with a non-contractor.

What is important: The payment-method! The seller has -in some cases- to prove that the parcel is enroute to the buyer. That is difficult if the buyer will try to cheat!
Example: A friend of mine got a payment for a watch via paypal (goods, not friends and family). The buyer did arrange shipping. The parcel was temporary lost.....
A while after pickup the buyer claimed that the parcel did not arrive (the truth) and opened a dispute in paypal in order to get the protection he payed for (which he is perfectly entitled to do).
Paypal asked my buddie for a prove of shipment....BIG PROBLEM. Here both buyer and seller were honest and the parcel was found later. But not all buyers are......

This is my opinion and has nothing to do with persons involved here :).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts