WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy 2 watches: a speedmaster sapphire sandwich and grand seiko sbga413 (spring from seasons collection). Went to an AD in San Francisco Bay Area that has both. Without any haggling AD offered 20% off the speedmaster and 0% off the grand seiko (said that particular model had to be special ordered because of high demand).

If i offered to buy both, would it be reasonable to ask for an additional 10% discount for both watches? Should i ask for more or less?

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
I did something similar last year before buying my Speedy. I didn't really get anywhere and the ADs in general (not all), didn't seem to want to change much on price even if you buy more than one. I think you're better off buying each at the best price you can find at individual dealers.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If they can give a 20% discount without much haggling, they can definitely give a 30% discount on the Omega, even if they don't feel comfortable with a discount on the Seiko. If it's all the same to them, it's all the same to you buying elsewhere. It might be worth it getting some online quotes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
ADs offering 20% off MSRP on the sapphire sandwich is pretty common right now. Not so much a deal at the moment, secondary market they are going for under $5,079 new.

The GS may prove difficult to find discounted at an AD since it's a limited run and has some hype behind it. Secondary market is showing them already above MSRP for those who have them available.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If it is the AD that has stores in Santa Clara & Palo Alto, you can try ordering the GS SBGA413 online as they are offering 10% off your first online purchase.

Otherwise ask for a bigger discount on the the SpeedyPro or try contacting the AD located in Burlingame and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
As a former collctor of GS, I would strongly advice you NEVER to buy any GS without a discount. This whole faux-exclusiveness direction they're taking these days is total BS for watches that don't hold their value well in the pre-owned market.

What made them very good value up until around 2018 was the fact that you could get high quality pieces at fairly reasonable discounts but at full retail price, specially their retail prices these days are becoming harder to justify.

GS LE's while super nice don't sell out quickly so I'd look elsewhere if they don't budge. I've had 8 AD purchased GS models here in Brisbane in the last 4 years and always got at least 20-25 off even on anniversary LE's. Even with those strong discounts I still lost a ton of money when it was time to move them so I'd be very cautious buying into the whole no discount joke that they're playing these days.

In saying that I think the best way to negotiate your discount is 25% straight up for the total $ of both watches. However they distribute the discount between the watches is up to them just make a cash offer for both :)

Good luck, those 2 watches are amazing pieces!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't believe you're going to get a 30% discount on the Omega. I can't speak for the GS as I've never bought one, but agree with others' opinions to get the best price you can from the open market on it and don't worry about trying to package the two from the same dealer.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I want to buy 2 watches: a speedmaster sapphire sandwich and grand seiko sbga413 (spring from seasons collection). Went to an AD in San Francisco Bay Area that has both. Without any haggling AD offered 20% off the speedmaster and 0% off the grand seiko (said that particular model had to be special ordered because of high demand).

If i offered to buy both, would it be reasonable to ask for an additional 10% discount for both watches? Should i ask for more or less?
how good are your skills negotiating?
i bought a Breitling in 05 30% off
never look hungry is my best advice

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Here in the UK, I managed to get 25% off my sapphire sandwich. That was through a grey dealer, I had used before.
The level of discount generally available, has, in my experience, fallen over the last few years. <|
10% - 15% is about 'average' now.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
For Omega I got upto 25% , for GS I had to get approval from the AD management to give me a discount cause similarly my GS was limited (me and my friends bought many many Seiko's and G-shock from same dealer) and only 3 in the whole country; I believe i got something between 7-15% (not sure exactly) after waiting couple of days

·
Registered
18,385 Posts
I would either:
1) ask for a 25% on the Omega + a 10% on the Grans Seiko, OR,
2) work out the total sum and offer them a price that is equal to #1 above or round down to a nice thousand dollars round number.

·
Registered
860 Posts
As a GS owner and Spring Drive fan boy I agree with a previous poster that GS don’t hold their value. They’re better than some brands but they’re a bit more common now and distribution is broader. Despite the dial color and texture differences most GS watches in the heritage collection look alike. The SBGA211 “Snowflake” has the same dial design geometry, is a classic and there’s a fair number of new and like new out there FS. You might get a better deal if you’re flexible on dial color. Also, I had a pink dial luxury watch for a while, at the time I had to have it, but after a while I found I tired of the color and sold it. Silver is a classic color that never goes out of style.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts