WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am thinking of buying a Breitling as my first high end watch. I have not yet completely decided on a model, but am leaning toward a Superocean or maybe Avenger. I would consider buying the watch either new or used. If I buy used, I would like to buy with confidence that the watch is authentic and works well. I have some questions...

1. Should I buy a chrono model? I don't really need chrono functions, but it looks like a lot of Breitling owners like chronos, so I wonder if would be easier to sell a chrono later if I had to.

2. If I buy used, is there anything I need to look for in particular? I have read the stickies on fake Breitlings. Are used Breitlings usually authenticated by the sellers? Is buying from a pawn shop a good idea? Do jewelers sell used watches?

3. I figure if I buy from a used source, the price will be negotiable. But what about a new watch from Jewelers? Is there room for haggling on their prices? Is that acceptable? I mean, a $5000 watch ought to have a little negotiating room built into the price, it would seem.

Any help you can give on this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
226 Posts
1. Buy what you like. If you don't need a chronograph, then I wouldn't purchase one. The cost of maintenance for a chronograph is more expensive than a non chronograph.

2. Folks may mention buy the seller. Get a good feeling for the seller. If they are open and provide you the good answers to the questions you ask, then that definitely a good sign. I don't know about purchasing from a pawn shop. I think that could be iffy. Some jewelers sell used watches. An established customer of theirs may want to trade up. It happens. If the jeweler is an authorized Breitling dealer that is reselling a watch because a customer decided to trade up, then that's fine.

3. There's some room to haggle. When I was at my local authorized dealer a couple of months ago they mentioned a 15% discount. I didn't even haggle.

Good luck with your puchase.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I personaly would only buy a decent second hand model.
Youll probably pay around 50-60% of the new price and in a good few years time when a service is due youll have what is basically a new watch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Breitling released the last year(s) some limited edition models (some with the in house movement).
If I was you, I would buy one of them...

A limited watch with a in house movement keeps it value mutchhhhhh beter than a non limited model with a ETA movement.

If you want to sell the watch later on, I would go for a Navitimer Limited Edition Caliber 01. I think that watch will keep its value the most of all the "newer" Breitlings.

Just my 2 cents ;).

Pieterjan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts