WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided I want a DW-5600. (I live in the UK).

I watched loads of youtube videos and all of the touting a great watch for ~$40. But I can't find it anywhere cheaper than £60 here in the UK ($83). Thats over twice the price that all the youtube videos are saying. Is this a stock issue or a UK issue? What is going on here? Cheapest G-shock at £60 seems a bit mad to me. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
511 Posts
So I decided I want a DW-5600. (I live in the UK).

I watched loads of youtube videos and all of the touting a great watch for ~$40. But I can't find it anywhere cheaper than £60 here in the UK ($83). Thats over twice the price that all the youtube videos are saying. Is this a stock issue or a UK issue? What is going on here? Cheapest G-shock at £60 seems a bit mad to me. 🤷‍♂️
Yep, crazy price over here, there's no other reason than we live in Rip-off Britain

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Anyways, back on topic - it’s sort of a UK issue, but really more of a “the USA has vastly lower prices on almost any consumer good than anywhere else in the world” thing.

Strange thing, though, is that you couldn’t possibly have just noticed this now. I mean, have you tried buying a car, computer, phone, or a television in the least twenty years? :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyways, back on topic - it’s sort of a UK issue, but really more of a “the USA has vastly lower prices on almost any consumer good than anywhere else in the world” thing.

Strange thing, though, is that you couldn’t possibly have just noticed this now. I mean, have you tried buying a car, computer, phone, or a television in the least twenty years? :)
Yes. All of the above. We usually pay a bit more in the UK. True. ...but not 100% more!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don’t you guys have a luxury tax or something? Its slapped on everything save a glass of tap water.
20% VAT (value added tax) on pretty much everything other than most foods (cold) kids clothes books and magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
oh boohoo

60quid is under $110AU. rrp here is $229AU which is like 125pounds! everyone's got it tough but theres always someone worse off, hope that puts it into perspective for you
Yeah. Must be so hard living in Oz compared to the **** show that we in the UK have to put up with

There’s perspective for you Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh boohoo 🙄
😂
60quid is under $110AU. rrp here is $229AU which is like 125pounds! 😭 everyone's got it tough but theres always someone worse off, hope that puts it into perspective for you 😉
Nothing like a bit of exaggeration lol. £66. Same as UK then.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yes. All of the above. We usually pay a bit more in the UK. True. ...but not 100% more!
Wait a second, mate...

That's 45.95 GBP. not a bargain but not too bad.

That's 35.84 GBP.

What am I missing?

You're not getting Walmart pricing, but you're not even close to 100% price increases!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hate how we now can't buy from Europe either without being nailed by Customs/Import duties, It's shrunk our market choices.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait a second, mate...

That's 45.95 GBP. not a bargain but not too bad.

That's 35.84 GBP.

What am I missing?

You're not getting Walmart pricing, but you're not even close to 100% price increases!

So you are missing a number of things.

First link, the guys feedback is terrible and more than 1 person says the watches are fake.

Second link is in the US. So if they ship to the UK (which they say in the description they might not). You have to pay international shipping AND customs and import duties. So, it would be much more than the price of even the UK one.

I hope you take more care when shopping for yourself online! 😳

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I hope you take more care when shopping for yourself online! 😳
No need to take the pi$$ out, bruv. Just trying to throw some links your way and figure things out myself.

It appears that the UK only had a domestic version of the dw5600 called the dw5600-1ver, which appears to be a dw5600e with a special milled back (not the cheap stamped back of the dw5600e) and a price increase to double the Dw5600e version (the msrp on the casio uk site is for the 80 gbp figure) - and that particular watch is now discontinued by CASIO. So what that tells me is there is no dw5600e for the UK domestic market. So it appears there are two problems: The UK never got the inexpensive dw5600e, and the version they did get, the more expensive milled back dw5600-1ver, is now discontinued. (Given the price, it’s not surprising that CASIO discontinued it...)

it seems like this UK specific version has been out for at least 7 years...maybe longer?

This might explain why the only listings you are seeing for the cheap version are import only?

Can anyone else verify?

·
Registered
301 Posts
20% VAT, Brexit, covid and the fact its a discontinued model at least here in the uk are all going to affect the price of this watch and any other goods really.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think most people are misunderstanding the question. It is about the relative price of DW5600E-1V, not about taxes or brexit.

The US RRP of DW5600E-1V is $70. The RRP of GW-M5610 is $140.
50%

The official UK RRP of DW5600E-1V is £100. The RRP of GW-M5610 is £135
75%

There is no satisfactory answer. Casio UK have simply decided to price it very high. As a consequence it is a poor seller (in the UK) and most stores do not bother to carry it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think most people are misunderstanding the question. It is about the relative price of DW5600E-1V, not about taxes or brexit.

The US RRP of DW5600E-1V is $70. The RRP of GW-M5610 is $140.
50%

The official UK RRP of DW5600E-1V is £100. The RRP of GW-M5610 is £135
75%

There is no satisfactory answer. Casio UK have simply decided to price it very high. As a consequence it is a poor seller (in the UK) and most stores do not bother to carry it.

Its not that most stores don't carry the model its that its discontinued by casio over here. And has as already been discussed the UK version was slightly different to the US version, Milled back etc. I'm not saying that justifies the price difference but it it what it is.

The UK always pays more, The 5610 would only be £100 not £135 if it was priced the same as in the US

·
Registered
517 Posts
Where I live, they are $113, so I imported mine from Amazon US through a shipping forwarding company (myus.com).

The watch net me $60.15 ($41.00 for the watch + 15% import fees + $13 shipping). I’d say it’s worth every penny of that $60.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you are in the UK and you want one, I think you should just find the cheapest and buy it. Because the situation (with prices) will only get worse; not better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts