WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I really hate all those cheap $1 pens, they feel so uncomfortable in my hand and I hate how they look like, the build looks like cheap transparent plastic (which it is)... Besides, I like click pens.

Either way, I'm trying to find out about any decent quality click pens that don't have a $1 pen look on them and have a thicker case (I like my pens a bit thicker, like Schneider Memo XB or Jetstream SXN-210 RT)...

Recently I bought a Jetstream SXN-210 RT, but a) the refills cost ~$3-4 shipped per refill wherever I looked (online, offline I can't find them at all!) and b) the refill that was already inside the pen lasted me only a few pages. Weirdly, it still looks full, but it doesn't work. I'm not willing to pay $3 to be able to write a few pages of text, that's nonsense and I'm not that rich in the first place.

So... Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hello!

I really hate all those cheap $1 pens, they feel so uncomfortable in my hand and I hate how they look like, the build looks like cheap transparent plastic (which it is)... Besides, I like click pens.

Either way, I'm trying to find out about any decent quality click pens that don't have a $1 pen look on them and have a thicker case (I like my pens a bit thicker, like Schneider Memo XB or Jetstream SXN-210 RT)...

Recently I bought a Jetstream SXN-210 RT, but a) the refills cost ~$3-4 shipped per refill wherever I looked (online, offline I can't find them at all!) and b) the refill that was already inside the pen lasted me only a few pages. Weirdly, it still looks full, but it doesn't work. I'm not willing to pay $3 to be able to write a few pages of text, that's nonsense and I'm not that rich in the first place.

So... Any suggestions are appreciated.
With the criteria you shared, there are literally thousands of options that could (or could not) be what your'e looking for.

First- What kind of budget do you have? Should we be recommending $5 pens or $500 pens?
Second- Are you looking for a ballpoint or a rollerball pen? The Schneider you mentioned is a ballpoint while the Jetstream is a rollerball, and yes, there is a big difference between the two types.
Third- Are you disappointed with your current pen solely because of the refill? If that's the case, buy a ballpoint pen that accepts Parker style refills. That provides for hundreds of refill options.

While you didn't specify, your comments inferred that you were looking for a pen that costs less than $20. If that's the case, go to your local Staples and buy a ballpoint that accepts Parker refills. Buy the design you want (at that price point their quality won't differ much) and try different refills until you find one that suits you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the criteria you shared, there are literally thousands of options that could (or could not) be what your'e looking for.

First- What kind of budget do you have? Should we be recommending $5 pens or $500 pens?
Second- Are you looking for a ballpoint or a rollerball pen? The Schneider you mentioned is a ballpoint while the Jetstream is a rollerball, and yes, there is a big difference between the two types.
Third- Are you disappointed with your current pen solely because of the refill? If that's the case, buy a ballpoint pen that accepts Parker style refills. That provides for hundreds of refill options.

While you didn't specify, your comments inferred that you were looking for a pen that costs less than $20. If that's the case, go to your local Staples and buy a ballpoint that accepts Parker refills. Buy the design you want (at that price point their quality won't differ much) and try different refills until you find one that suits you.
I'd prefer to stick with up to $50.

Well, as far as I know, ballpoint ink is easier to write with, while you gotta push rollerball pens harder. In other words, when I think of rollerball, I picture those cheap $0.50 pens that you almost gotta go through the paper and there's always a deep mark on the other side of the page. I don't like that. However, most ballpoints have caps and I want a click pen, I hate caps. A perfect pen would be one that wouldn't leave a deep mark on the other side of the page and with no cap. Even so, I enjoyed using Jetstream - it's easy to write with and the only complaint that I have is that I gotta scratch 1-2mm before it starts writing properly - it's rather annoying, since I take lots of short notes.

So let me recap: if there is a rollerball that would write smoother than most rollerballs, that's perfect. If it's a ballpoint and doesn't dry out, that's perfect too. Though if there are more differences, I'd be interested in learning them.

Anyway, speaking of designs, the only design that I found acceptably comfortable was of that Jetstream. I've tried a lot of pens before I settled on this one, and most of them were extremely uncomfortable.

Feel free to ask anything else, I'll try my best to answer in a descriptive manner.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'd prefer to stick with up to $50.

Well, as far as I know, ballpoint ink is easier to write with, while you gotta push rollerball pens harder. In other words, when I think of rollerball, I picture those cheap $0.50 pens that you almost gotta go through the paper and there's always a deep mark on the other side of the page. I don't like that. However, most ballpoints have caps and I want a click pen, I hate caps. A perfect pen would be one that wouldn't leave a deep mark on the other side of the page and with no cap. Even so, I enjoyed using Jetstream - it's easy to write with and the only complaint that I have is that I gotta scratch 1-2mm before it starts writing properly - it's rather annoying, since I take lots of short notes.

So let me recap: if there is a rollerball that would write smoother than most rollerballs, that's perfect. If it's a ballpoint and doesn't dry out, that's perfect too. Though if there are more differences, I'd be interested in learning them.

Anyway, speaking of designs, the only design that I found acceptably comfortable was of that Jetstream. I've tried a lot of pens before I settled on this one, and most of them were extremely uncomfortable.

Feel free to ask anything else, I'll try my best to answer in a descriptive manner.
You have it backwards. Ballpoint pens use friction to generate ink. Therefore the harder you press the darker/thicker the line is. Rollerball pens do not require pressure to flow.

If you want a really cool pen get a RETRAKT that takes Pilot G2 refills. These are the best ink gel refills on the market.

Pens

Or just go with the premium pen from Pilot which has the G2 refill in it.

Amazon.com: Pilot G2 Limited Retractable Gel Ink Roller Ball Pen, Fine Point, Black Ink, Gray Barrel (31536): Office Products

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have it backwards. Ballpoint pens use friction to generate ink. Therefore the harder you press the darker/thicker the line is. Rollerball pens do not require pressure to flow.

If you want a really cool pen get a RETRAKT that takes Pilot G2 refills. These are the best ink gel refills on the market.

Pens

Or just go with the premium pen from Pilot which has the G2 refill in it.

Amazon.com: Pilot G2 Limited Retractable Gel Ink Roller Ball Pen, Fine Point, Black Ink, Gray Barrel (31536): Office Products
Wow, it looks nice! Doesn't even look all that cheap!

As for Retrakt, perhaps you own one? I'm curious if the aluminum one scratches easily; the brass one costs a lot more and contains lead, but I'm afraid that the aluminum one would scratch rather easily. Any aluminum I've been exposed to - you take anything half sharp, it leaves a nice, fine and deep mark.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wow, it looks nice! Doesn't even look all that cheap!

As for Retrakt, perhaps you own one? I'm curious if the aluminum one scratches easily; the brass one costs a lot more and contains lead, but I'm afraid that the aluminum one would scratch rather easily. Any aluminum I've been exposed to - you take anything half sharp, it leaves a nice, fine and deep mark.
You should call the shop and talk to them, they are nice people. Below are some reviews.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f221/machined-pens-review-karas-kustoms-tactile-turn-1544138.html

Karas Kustoms Retrakt Prototypes - Pen Review â€" The Clicky Post

Review: Karas Kustoms Tu-Tone RETRAKT | The Well-Appointed Desk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately calling outside my country would be way too costly, but I appreciate the links. After reading those, I suppose I'll just go with the aluminum. I like the silvery look and seems like most are of the opinion that it becomes uncomfortable to write with the brass one. Besides, it's much cheaper, which is a big plus for me.

Thanks for help!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Check out Tactile Turn. A little pricier but much better design and made from higher grade of aluminum. Certain reviews mention better balance than Retrakt. It's also a thicker pen as you prefer. There should be a coupon floating around. Also check out Rotring Rapid Pro. It's definitely under your price limit. It looks good (IMHO) and takes Parker-style refills which would open up quite a selection of refills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.