WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a new Sea-Gull 1963 37/38mm chronograph. I have been reading as much as I can about them on this forum. My question: Is Times International a good place to purchase one? They have a nice web site and I know that should not be the final deciding factor. Has anyone had any experience with them? Positive or negative?
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh...I am just waiting that Monkey Like Watch see this and give you his thoughts about that store :)))

Cant wait, popcorns are ready...

Послато са SM-N950F помоћу Тапатока
So what does all of that mean? I am asking a serious question that I don't think is out of line as I have seen many posts where folks ask about web sites and stores that sell watches. I am not trying to start some big "thing."
joe

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So what does all of that mean? I am asking a serious question that I don't think is out of line as I have seen many posts where folks ask about web sites and stores that sell watches. I am not trying to start some big "thing."
joe
From what I have observed. Initially, the store was/is quite reputable, I will assume they sell and still sell legitimate Chinese watches. However, the controversy is that the store sells a copy of HKED's 1963 design (see the square indices) and refuse to stop selling them after HKED has asked him to do so. As well, for M_L_W who lives in Shanghai, where the store is situated in, refuse to sell within China. Meaning, the target audience is international. This, for M_L_W is a huge red flag as the store is quite local and the owner refuses store visitation.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Oh...I am just waiting that Monkey Like Watch see this and give you his thoughts about that store :)))

Cant wait, popcorns are ready...
This made me laugh. Thank you.

From what I have observed. Initially, the store was/is quite reputable, I will assume they sell and still sell legitimate Chinese watches. However, the controversy is that the store sells a copy of HKED's 1963 design (see the square indices) and refuse to stop selling them after HKED has asked him to do so. As well, for M_L_W who lives in Shanghai, where the store is situated in, refuse to sell within China. Meaning, the target audience is international. This, for M_L_W is a huge red flag as the store is quite local and the owner refuses store visitation.
Mythless, you are correct on these accounts, but there are a few more issues.

1. Recently, a WUS member sent the owner of "the store that shall not be named" a message asking if the Sea-Gull watch he wanted to purchase had an authentication QR code. (All Tianjin Sea-Gull watches made after July 2017 have this QR code to authenticate the watch.) The owner never replied to his email.

2. With the help of EOL Outlet owner*, AD for Sea-Gull*, and WUS forum member Kevin, it was discovered that "the store that shall not be named" was selling fake Sea-Gull watches. There was an entire thread where it was proven that "the store that shall not be named" was selling the fake version of a green military Sea-Gull.
*Kevin is no longer affiliated with EOL Outlet, and I don't know if he is still an AD for Sea-Gull.
Read the thread here:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/there-2-813-581-green-versions-4818169.html

3. He rips-off and lies to customers with his "vintage line of watches". He buys cheap 7120/8120 movements, he buys NOS cases on Toabao for cheap, he buys re-issue dials on Taobao and then sells the watches for a huge profit. Most of his "vintage" 7120 and 8120 movement watches parts could be sourced on Taobao for 1/5 (or less) of what he charges.

Do you know why his Shanghai 8120 is so "rare"? Because Shanghai never made that watch.
Read about it here:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/shanghai-8120-reissue-1070987-4.html

As mythless stated, he has stolen a WUS member's (HKED) design and will not stop selling them. This alone is enough for WUS members to boycott the store. #membersunite

I would never give my money to this "watch charlatan", and in my honest opinion, you should find another outlet to purchase your watches; unless you don't mind giving your money to unscrupulous businessman.

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
joe
Sorry for not answering in right way, I just wanted you to hear the answer from people who made real research about that seller.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am going to buy a new Sea-Gull 1963 37/38mm chronograph. I have been reading as much as I can about them on this forum. My question: Is Times International a good place to purchase one? They have a nice web site and I know that should not be the final deciding factor. Has anyone had any experience with them? Positive or negative?
Joe
Having followed discussions on the 1963 and from what I understand, the site you mention is selling a clone of a watch designed by member HKEd, although HKEd has nothing to do with it, although both watches and vendors have fans here. Note the logo on the dial of that version, which I think is a redux of how it appeared originally. Personally, if I preferred this version I'd buy it from HKEd.

My preference is the version by Red Star, said to be Sea Gull 1963 but not really; Long Island Watch has it with the new swans neck upgraded movement. Then there's the actual Sea Gull version that runs for about $600-$700, I think the caseback is solid, it's sold with papers and an exclusive box; where it can be purchased I'm not certain, but I think they've an official US store.

I'm thinking of it in 42mm with sapphire from Long Island Watch, it's warranted for a year, and it's been often reported as having problems with the chrono function, so buying it from China is out for me.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Having followed discussions on the 1963 and from what I understand, the site you mention is selling a clone of a watch designed by member HKEd, although HKEd has nothing to do with it, although both watches and vendors have fans here. Note the logo on the dial of that version, which I think is a redux of how it appeared originally. Personally, if I preferred this version I'd buy it from HKEd.

My preference is the version by Red Star, said to be Sea Gull 1963 but not really; Long Island Watch has it with the new swans neck upgraded movement. Then there's the actual Sea Gull version that runs for about $600-$700, I think the caseback is solid, it's sold with papers and an exclusive box; where it can be purchased I'm not certain, but I think they've an official US store.

I'm thinking of it in 42mm with sapphire from Long Island Watch, it's warranted for a year, and it's been often reported as having problems with the chrono function, so buying it from China is out for me.
If you buy that 42mm Red Star version from poljot24.de You will get two years of warranty

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you buy that 42mm Red Star version from poljot24.de You will get two years of warranty

I just did that, thanks. With no VAT I saved more than a few bucks. I also got the Okean.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just stick to reputable sellers in order to avoid fakes, good luck!
What do you mean by "fakes". I have never heard of a "fake 1963".
Also, many Chinese citizens have purchased 100s, if not 1000s, of 1963's off Taobao and give them very high reviews.
Go on Taobao and read the reviews from the vast amount of buyers who have purchased these watches for around 100USD.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DSC01435.JPG

Hey Guys, just wanted to let you know that yesterday I received my new Sea-Gull 1963 chronograph from HKED. He is a great guy to deal with and the shipping was very fast. BTW, what looks like a couple of scratches in the crystal near the "6" is some kind of light reflection when I took the picture. The watch is absolutely flawless. Just paying the "watch tax."
Joe

1 - 20 of 73 Posts