WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am thinking about buying a second hand speedmaster 3210.51 (COSC black/white dail). I really like the look of this watch. It is from a reputable dealer in my city, one year warranty from the dealer, comes with box and papers, and it is a reasonable price.

The issue is that it was bought in 2008 and I am not sure about the service history. Also the box is in a bad condition and I will need to get extra links. Is the watch worth buying? Should I buy a watch that is newer?

Also I am not that familiar with all the different speedmasters. Is this a good watch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
First of all, the speedmaster is a great watch. You'll love it.

If you are unsure of service history, then ask the dealer to throw in a free service with the purchase, and besides there is a 1 year dealer warranty, sounds pretty good.

Regarding the Omega box, they make crappy boxes that deterioriates like tissue paper.

Buying links? They are quite pricey, that may make your reasonable price go down the drain, unless you plan to strap it.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
875 Posts
Lets assume the watch has never been serviced. It is going on twelve years old so if it does need a service you are looking at around $700.00 dollars US from Omega.
If you wanted to replace the box they can sometimes be had on Ebay. Not sure how much that could cost.
Depending on how hard the links are to get for a watch from 2008 they could cost more than the saving on the watch. The other alternative is to look at a good watch strap instead. I sometimes where my Speedmaster on a Hirsch Liberty leather strap.
In the end it all depends on how much you like the watch and if the prices is something you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Omega red boxes are CRAP. I've bought links for different Omega bracelets from the Boutique and it was like $25-$30 so not crazy. If the watch is accurate now and you get a 1 yr warranty its not the end of the world depending on what you are paying. If its a watch you are drawn to then go for it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I really do like the watch. It's $3400AUD but the dealer has a good reputation with customer service if I were to need it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
That's a popular model in Japan / Asia.

I bet ebay or similar will have that model for far less than 3400AUD

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I really do like the watch. It's $3400AUD but the dealer has a good reputation with customer service if I were to need it.
Sorry to break this down, Im not paying 3400 AUD with short links, crap box, and no service history. You can fine better deals elsewhere.

However, I do understand that there is a certain "assurance" buying from a physical shop, and they can usually buy back at a certain price if you do get bored or want to swap to something else.

But I personally, dont think that price is a good deal, sorry.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
3400 AUD does seem high. Check out Chrono24. If you're not happy with a watch you can send it back to seller and get your money back... so you're not locked in to a watch you're not 100% happy with.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked online and there are cheaper deals. I'm also taking into account that if I buy online I'll get charged 10% in tax (to Australia), unless that is incorrect?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure of the details, but it sounds as though its priced high.

Dealers always do this and they are hoping an uninformed buyer comes along and pays it. Over time they realise that may not happen and will sell for a more realistic price.

So perhaps point out the things you mention and make a more realistic offer. It may work and you may get a good buy (at the right price!)

·
Registered
858 Posts
I cant answer regarding the Tax, you'd have to ask those who lives in Australia to help you

But, as pointed, state the condition of the watch and what you think about it, make him a reasonable offer, and see if he goes down his price.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I looked online and there are cheaper deals. I'm also taking into account that if I buy online I'll get charged 10% in tax (to Australia), unless that is incorrect?
Correct. Unless the overseas seller is not (or not required to be registered for GST) then you’ll get a notice of assessment when the watch arrives via nominated carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts