WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
So for your entertainment, here is how I did on the domestic shipping this time.
View attachment 16071911
So even with EMS and almost twice the weight, the international shipping is less than the total domestic shipping.

So if we include the consolidation fee, last time it was €61.57 for 5 items (4 watches and a silk pocket watch chain weighing nothing), which is €12,31 per item or €15.39 per watch.
This time it is €100.01 for 10 items, all of which are watches, which is of course €10 per watch.

Obviously it's wise to use all of the free 30 day storage period if you buy watches regularly, especially if you buy relatively inexpensive watches like I usually do. It might even be wise to pay the storage fee if you are at the end of your 30 days and you are planning on buying another watch in the next week. Another week of storage will likely only cost you 700 yen (100 yen/day).

Anyway, I got a little carried away with this 10 watch haul, but let's hope this satisfies my itch for a while haha. The 21% VAT on this haul should wake me from my buying craze too!

Imagine living in Japan and being able to buy everything on Yahoo with only domestic shipping and no import taxes...
I would be very upset as you are. The question is, would you find the same deals on other proxy service?

I have won two auctions from the same seller (one hour between them). The seller shipped them both at the same day, the first I already received, while the second is still (shipped). Both shipped within one hour apart and the first one was received three days ago! That is wierd for sure as they usually take one day to reach the warehouse.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It is definitely strange that one of your packages hasn't arrived yet! If it takes more than a week I'd contact Customer Support about it.

I was indeed upset, but after some persuasion from my side, they did solve it pretty quickly, so I will let it slide. We've compared some of the proxy services in this thread, and for me what gives Buyee the edge is the ease of payment through Paypal.

Fees, shipping and VAT adds around 30% to the price when I buy things from Japan, but the fees charged by proxy services are only a small cost component compared to shipping and VAT, so I am still very thankful they exist, because what I buy from Yahoo/Mercari usually can't be sourced anywhere else.
I will wait for Monday before I contact them. Glad they solved it quickly.

Payment and some of the items are not available on other proxies from my own experience, give it a plus that you get better prices (deals) on Buyee as well.

Thankfully I don't have to pay any VAT for imports less than 800$ (each). In case ot proxies or P.O boxes, I usually get away with it as the customs don't know the value of used products. If the VAT was applicable, it will be 10% in total (5% VAT and 5% Customs charge).

Indeed I am thankful too, some of my rare watches only are found there, with a good price.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have not looked at auctions via other proxies, but it's interesting to know that Buyee makes more items available. Still, some sellers don't allow any proxy bidding, like this one I saw today.

View attachment 16072251
The seller writes (in Japanese):
Temp Operating Product Sorry Notice.
If you do not understand Japanese, are a proxy bidder, cannot start trading within 3 days, or cannot make a deposit within 3 days from the start of trading, please refrain from bidding. Even if you win the bid, we will delete it. Also, if you are looking for new conditions or nervous about old watches, please do not bid.

I'm not sure what their problem is. Are they patriotic, and they want their watches to stay in Japan? I can't imagine that it's difficult to deal with Buyee, as they handle thousands of deals.
What about using a Japanese P.O box? It will be interesting to know if that would work. I always use it for many countries that I can't ship from directly (because of the seller).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Then you really need to trust Google Translate haha. Also, I wouldn't know how to go about setting up a P.O. Box in Japan, and it would be a bit overkill for my shopping. ?
Also, many sellers want to be paid by Yahoo Easy Settlement, whatever that is, so you would need that too.
We have a service called Shop & Ship (provided by Aramex). They will give you around 30 P.O box around the world in most countries (Japan included), It is a very good service.

The Yahoo Easy Settlement won't be available though, PayPal is the way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I do have a Buyee question

I ordered a Seiko Melody clock with a Japanese day/date digital display. The analog clock part has a sweep second hand (like an electric clock). I ordered it though Bic Camera thru Buyee. I am wondering about spending the extra 1500 Yen to add extra padding to the clock for its trip to me in the USA. Has anybody bought something using Buyee where you opted for the extra packing protection? Do they remove the item from the vendor shipping box and put it in a bigger box? I have only gotten the extra protective packaging when I consolidated 3 items and they put it in a bigger box. But I have not bought the extra protective packing without consolidating.

Amazon's market place does have two Japan based sellers selling this clock but that still has to arrive from Japan and they give a estimate of mid to end of Sept where I will get it by next week once Buyee ships it out and even with all Buyee fees and shipping costs, the clock is still way cheaper then the one from the Amazon seller.

Thanks
Yes they do put it in a bigger box with extra protection from my experience. I have just consolidated 3 watches without the extra protection, lets hope that they at least have them padded from the original shipping.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Despite the much higher new price, I decided to go for EMS shipping again, but now 6 days later - which is how long the cheaper and slower AIR mail is supposed to take - there is still no sign of my package. I don't know if Japan Post or the Dutch Post is to blame, but the result is there is no benefit to EMS anymore, especially at double the price.

My last package arrived at Dutch customs after 4 days, which is acceptable, but even after I paid the VAT online, Customs waited another 4 or 5 days to forward it to me for no apparent reason, also negating the "speed" of EMS.

And I have more complaining to do haha. I decided to buy something from ecoworld2016 - one of the big pawn shops that I've instinctively avoided because they seem to put very little effort in their listings as a result perhaps of there being so many - and they somehow managed to let Buyee know that my watch had been shipped just 6 minutes after me winning the auction, at 10 pm Japanese time no less! In my head I imagined they had a super sophisticated computer system that automatically generates shipping labels etc. and then let's Buyee know that the product has been shipped, but now 6 days later it still hasn't arrived at the Buyee warehouse! Now I have to wait the full 30 days before I can ask for a refund. But even if my watch shows up, I'm not buying from ecoworld2016 again, that's for sure. According to the negative reviews they never reply to any inquiry whatsoever, so I'm not even going to bother asking Buyee to chase after the watch until the 30 days are over, so I can just get my money back.
Welcome back @CitizenPromaster

I bought from ecoworld2016 two weeks ago. I remember telling you earlier regarding the issue I had when I've won two biddings from them where they immediately shipped the items, one of which arrived the next day while the other after 7 days! I've contacted Buyee regarding this and the next day the item arrived at the warehouse, overall it was a mixed experience. In fact, I might win another two biddings today, would give them a second chance. Which sellers would you recommend on Buyee?

Note: As you mentioned, they don't include a lot of information regarding the watches, I wouldn't recommend buying junk items from them as they don't specify the issue. While the second watch was rated at 3-4 with (windshield scratches) it was honestly a very tiny scratch that most people won't notice (watch was overall in an excellent condition)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very interesting to hear about your experience. The watch from ecoworld2016 did arrive today, after 7 days, same as your watch. I guess I could live with that, but not for 930 yen domestic shipping fee, which as I've shown in my overviews is on the high side. I knew this going in though, they list their shipping rates and they are high for all domestic destinations. I didn't check if this is because of their preferred delivery service or because of their location.
I am usually fine with 7 days and 950 yen shipping IF the watch worth it and it was a good deal. It is weird as I mentioned that some items you receive the next day while others take time

I will post my second experience in case I won the auctions. They do list some good watches each week though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well ecoworld2016 is in Chikusei, bang in the middle of Japan, and Buyee is too (Tokyo), so ecoworld2016 just uses one of the more expensive carriers, as can be seen below. Why the shipping time varies is still a mystery though.
View attachment 16092631
I do agree that they have a lot of interesting offerings, and I was bidding on two other watches, but those are already higher than I want to go.

Still I prefer the small shops, I get the feeling some Japanese buyers avoid them, which might result in lower bids, but that might be my imagination.
Then we must always count that into the overall price if we thought about buying from them again. I usually don't pay higher than 21000 yen (depends on the watch) most i pay less than 10000 yen.

The small shops are better indeed, but you see them list watches less often (great finds when they do though).

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know that my international shipping to the Netherlands means nothing to all of you in other countries, but maybe you will still find it interesting.

Here is the comparison between the last EMS shipment and the AIR shipment that arrived today, you can see both took a little over two weeks, while I saved 1,210 yen by using AIR in stead of EMS.

View attachment 16176250

I kind of feel like a fool that I ever used EMS. I just bought another watch and I'm having it shipped solo, because as you can see the shipping cost of this one watch in a 320g package is pretty cheap, only 1,250 yen, while EMS would cost almost double.
View attachment 16176238

Unfortunately I still have to pay 21% VAT to Dutch Customs on top of a €10 handling fee, but at least I can save a litle on shipping now.
It is very interesting to see how different is to import for various countries. For me, I have only two options (either FedEx or DHL), and both are very expensive, yet very fast to ship. The good news is, I don't have to pay the customs for any package less than 800 USD (300 BHD in our currency), otherwise I will have to pay 10% fees (5% VAT and 5% Customs duties).

In addition, certain sellers on buyee charge a tax amount and charge more than others (ecoworld2016).

Still you get a better deal with all of those expenses.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, some of the sellers charge 10% Japanese VAT, since technically they are selling to a Japanese buyer, which is Buyee. Most of the time though I buy from a seller who apparently doesn't have to charge 10% VAT, or perhaps they pay it themselves and don't bother us with it.

But as you say, even with all of the expenses it's usually still very attractive to buy from Japan, maybe a little too attractive haha.
From what I understood, the tax ia applicable on stores only.

Individuals are exempt from charging tax. So as you mentioned before, it is better to look after items from less known sellers.

"little too attractive haha."
Underrated statement of the decade lol. I do agree with you on this as I keep failing to stop buying from there every now and then.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think that's not the whole story, I see shops that don't charge tax, like the example below:

Citizen Promaster Direct Flight Men's Watch Solar Radio WAVE BY0084-56E

Max17.5cm case diameter 44mm
operation is good around the arm.
It is a good degree without noticeable scratches.
The glass is scratch-free.
Thank you very much.
Consumption tax is not charged.
It becomes the shipment in yu pack 60 size.
In principle, we do not accept returns, but if it is significantly different from the product description, we will only accept it within one week.
It is an exhibition from the resale shop
TRY. 1997
Head office: Hiei-tsuji 1, Otsu City, Shiga TEL +81-77-511-9876
That is a great observation. I had enough with buyee (a big lie). I was bidding on a Citizen F990 (open box never used and recently purchased) that was sold for around 800$ only, regretting my decision of not increasing the bid from 500$ lol.

Now I am trying to get into the Brazilian market, they do have some great exclusives.

·
Registered
124 Posts
thank you @CitizenPromaster !
i was just wondering if selecting DHL I'd be charged tax and handling fees for sure, but, say, EMS or air world allow the package to slip through unnoticed, something like that.

i think i bought from a private seller, not a shop, so i wonder how the watch will be declared. i think in germany we also pay 19% VAT + some handling fees.

I'm not really planning to shop often so I'm leaning towards DHL this time. also the watch itself is kinda pricey, just never had any experience with EMS.
"I'm not really planning to shop often"

I said the same before buying 20+ watches within a short period 😂

Don't let @CitizenPromaster trick you into this trap called Buyee.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Luckily, I don't have to pay any taxes if the items are less than $800. Another solution is that I use a P.O box from a forwarding company, this will not show the amount for the customs here, especially when buying directly from a person instead!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good question. It's a tricky matter. What if your uncle sends you his Picasso painting? Tell Customs it's fake haha. I don't know if they stop all packages and how they would go about setting the value. You can probably get away with a lot of stuff, as Customs has only limited staff and resources.
Glad we have lazy staff over here lol. Items are already way overpriced here (cost more with 5% TAX) than other European countries pricing (TAX included).

When I buy directly from stores overseas, I try my best to pay less than $800, otherwise will try to get it through a forwarding company buying from individuals.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This is SO Yahoo. The watch looks mint, but the bracelet is only 16.5 cm because a small wristed Japanese man resized it and didn't keep the spare links haha. You can forget about finding extra links for sale!
1 yen Beautiful product working product ★ genuine citizen Citizen Eco Drive H117 Black dial genuine breath radio clock men's watch BBSWA7492 /[Buyee] "Buyee" Japanese Proxy Service | Buy from Japan! bot-online

I still have the spare links for the cheap Lorus I bought 20 years ago, and I've moved 10 times!!! In fact, it took me 2 minutes to get the spare links for this photo, because I knew exactly where they were haha

View attachment 16208054
Reminds me of my attesa, the titanium bracelet was sized to 13.5 cm 😂. On the bright side though, I found a new bracelet for $200 which I will not buy lol.

Still waiting for my strap to arrive.

Watch Hand Photograph Analog watch Clock

·
Registered
124 Posts
View attachment 16222043

got my package a while ago. fedex was right on time, everything went smooth. don't want to jinx it but still haven't got any invoices from fedex/customs.

as you can see, i got Citizen PMD56, a watch i was eyeing for a while but abandoned any hope to get, since the price in EU was way above i was willing to pay. i was the only bidder, probably because the price was already too high, but still way less that it would've cost me to buy it new and get imported. the condition is impecable, almost as new. the ownder claimed he was wearing mostly other watches and PMD was barely in rotation.

the watch is VERY comfortable. i ordered few FKM rubber straps but the titatnium bracelet might be the one i would use the most. the quick adjust feature is genius, i wish more watches would have it. my only gripe is that the safety clasp where the CITIZEN brand is etched in is a bit flimsy and it opened couple of times while i was wearing the watch. i poked around but haven't figured how i can tighten it. other than that it's a dream come true. my rotation of everyday rugged watches is now complete (as well as overall collecting for a while). next thing i will be focusing on are more dressy watches, maybe something from EXCEED line or dressy Citizens Ana-Digi.

View attachment 16222042
Congratulations, this is the exact one I am eyeing now (along with a long list 🤣). Prices are way above the budget. This green dial is very attractive with tge other option (blue).

One day I will buy one for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts