WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! This is my first post here, after lurking for some a while.

I have decided that I've had enough $20 Timex watches, and I'm ready to buy something good. I have $500 or so to spend at Amazon.com and hope someone can help me make a good decision.

I'd like to buy an all-metal watch with a classic look and a second hand, and I'd like it to be reliable and well-made. I'm partial to oyster-style bands and Arabic numerals.

I very much like the looks of the Seiko SARB021 and SARB045, but I can't buy one at Amazon.

I'm intrigued by the Torgoen T10205, but it's a shade sportier than I want. The Hamilton H32515135 Jazzmaster Viewmaster is looking good to me, too.

Kindly throw your two cents my way. If you have a recommendation, I'd love to know about it. I'll appreciate any and all advice.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
The Hamilton is a solid choice, but back up a bit for just a minute. The Torgoen is a quartz, the Hammy, a mechanical, as are the SARBs.

You might want to consider your preference for the type of mechanism, or if you have a preference. They are different animals.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have ordered a few watches from Amazon...no issues. Make sure you are not ordering from an outside entity though. Hammys are great, but I'd check out Ashford if you are looking at Hamilton. They are another grey market option, reputable, and usually have the best price on Hamiltons. I have ordered from Ashford as well, very very happy. Check out the Tissot Visodate as another option. A sharp watch. You may also consider the Tissot's PRC200 Automatic three hand. More versatile.

Good Luck!

Reactions: jan05

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to consider your preference for the type of mechanism, or if you have a preference. They are different animals.
Thank you for pointing this out. I am leaning toward a mechanical, as I like to think a mechanical watch would encourage me to interact with it; it would come with its own ritual, as it were. Losing a few seconds in a day would not bother me.

One of my hobbies is restoring vintage mechanical turntables; I love collecting, cleaning, and listening to LPs and the ritual that brings. I'm hoping to have a watch that makes me feel and act the same way.

·
Registered
543 Posts
may I ask why you're limiting yourself to just amazon...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am liking the looks of those Tissots. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keep 'em coming, folks!
Just noted that it appears that you have a $500 credit at Amazon. Ashford does sell some watches through Amazon if you are going Hamilton.

·
Registered
38 Posts

You can try checking out Orient, Japan's largest producer of mechanical watches and owned by Seiko. The Orient Vintage is $230 on amazon for black and $260 for white. The Orient Esteem is $180 on amazon if you want to try an open-heart watch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check out the SEIKO Orange or Black Monsters. Around $200, and some of the finest makes.

-Nicho

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
One of my hobbies is restoring vintage mechanical turntables; I love collecting, cleaning, and listening to LPs and the ritual that brings. I'm hoping to have a watch that makes me feel and act the same way.
Yeah, you sound like a mechanical kinda guy to me.
Take a look at Hamilton, Tissot, Victorinox (Swiss Army) and others that have been and will be recommended.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
may I ask why you're limiting yourself to just amazon...
Yes you may. One of the ways my employer rewards its employees is with Amazon cards. I intend to spend my Amazon cards on a watch.

That said, I doubt this will be my first serious watch purchase (I get the impression some people like to collect watches ;-)). I'm eager to hear recommendations for other online vendors.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I would save up a tad more and look very hard at owning a Stowa if I were you.

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
type a watch name that you like in the search box... say Tissot Visodate right below that watch click the link that says "See visually similar watches"... TADA!!

pick a few... come to us again and ask out of your most favorite, if that watch is something we recommend.

voila!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts