WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of buying a watch from Authentic Watches - $ 3 500 (in my opinion very expensive). I did the payment through PayPal, but now Authentic Watches also require a copy of my ID, proof of residence and a photo of the debit card (only showing the last four digits) with which I made the payment. Is this standard procedure? I really do not like the idea of sending someone al this info. In my opinion PayPal already verified that I am the actual owner of the card. I would appreciate your feedback on this one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<<<ADDITIONAL INFO ASKED BY AUTHENTIC WATCHES>>>

OK, maybe my previous subject title was a bit misleading - I am in the process of buying a watch from Authentic Watches - $ 3 500 (in my opinion very expensive). I did the payment through PayPal, but now Authentic Watches also require a copy of my ID, proof of residence and a photo of the debit card (only showing the last four digits) with which I made the payment. Is this standard procedure? I really do not like the idea of sending someone al this info. In my opinion PayPal already verified that I am the actual owner of the card. I would appreciate your feedback on this one.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Re: <<<ADDITIONAL INFO ASKED BY AUTHENTIC WATCHES>>>

I thought I've heard about this on some other threads. I would try searching on a few different combinations of Authentic Watches, authenticwatches.com etc. to see if you can find some more info.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts

I bought a watch from an AuthenticWatches....years ago. I had no such requests from them. A simple charge,(I do believe)they called me
to verify I had placed the order,,,That was it.
It doesn't sound right does it? I think I've read something about hackers hi-jacking sites ?

·
Premium Member
71,277 Posts

I have never dealt with them but something doesn't sound right. I can't see why Authentic Watches would want all this detail as payment is via PayPal but I can see why hackers might.

·
Registered
317 Posts

Call them and talk to a CS rep, they ought to clear everything up. Could be a newer security measure, or there could be some discrepancy you'd want to know about. But definitely talk to them before sending anything.

·
Premium Member
36,168 Posts
Yes, they have different criteria than some of the other watch vendors, so the link Perseus provided would be a good resource to review.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Threads merged.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Sounds very odd. Why use a 3rd party payment system when you have to provide verification information to the vendor as well?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I am in the process of buying a watch from Authentic Watches - $ 3 500 (in my opinion very expensive). I did the payment through PayPal, but now Authentic Watches also require a copy of my ID, proof of residence and a photo of the debit card (only showing the last four digits) with which I made the payment. Is this standard procedure? I really do not like the idea of sending someone al this info. In my opinion PayPal already verified that I am the actual owner of the card. I would appreciate your feedback on this one.
From my understanding this is standard procedure, well at least for some companies. I kinda like the practice because it ensures that everything checks out. Good for the buyer and seller.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I bought from authenticwatches.com before and had no problems. However, they did ask for my blood type and my first born to secure the purchase. I thought that was strange.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
there's quite a few scams going on that target both the seller and the buyer,

seems authenticwatches just wanted to make sure

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys - I appreciate your feedback. I have spoken with Nick from their sales department and the whole thing seems like a new security measure they want to implement.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't email anybody a copy of my ID. There's too much information on a driver's license or passport that can be used for identity theft. And if the payment is through Paypal it's completely unnecessary.

Sounds to me like Authentic Watches either didn't think this new policy through fully, or received some bad legal advice. If they are hacked and pictures of people's ID's are compromised, they would be culpable for any identity theft that occurred to due to that. I understand they are trying to cover their butts with this measure, however they've painted a much larger target on themselves in the process.

Not to mention it's more than likely in violation of the Paypal vendor agreement...

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would never send my ID do anyone on the internet. I wouldn't give them a scan of the debit card either. If the transaction is through ppay or cc than authentication is between them and the seller.
Pass on the purchase and get the watch from another place.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts