WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am planning to buy my first rolex explorer 5500. I was wondering if anyone has bought a rolex from canard vintage watches on ebay? What should i ask for in order to be sure it is not a replica? what price is suitable for a 1978 watch in good condition (has been repainted earlier and has polished bracelet-looks to be in very good condition). Is it strange not to have pictures of the movement? the seller refers to the fact that it has been serviced and you do not want to break the seal.

Thanks Hennig

·
Registered
961 Posts
I don't know anything about the seller....

The Explorer 5500 is somewhat rare. For that reason, you should never buy one that has a refinished dial. The 5500 case is 34mm, rather than the traditional Explorer 36mm, and so many Air-Kings have been redialed as Explorers to bring in a higher price...

So, the watch itself is not high on the "replica" list, but it is high on the "counterfeit" list. Without an original dial, there is no way other than Rolex records that you cannot get to verify.

As to "breking the seal", there is no such thing... casebacks are just screwed on like a jar of pickles...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts