WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, after spending more than 5 grand on watches, it kinda dawned upon me that perhaps i should stop this rampant spending and acquire a really good timpiece. And there is no better watch than a rolex. I got my eye on an explorer II but not sure if i should get the white or black dial. anything i should look out for? Any advice from senior bros would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.:-!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you plan on getting it from an AD or out of state?
If you are getting it from a reputable source, then no worries. You will be very happy with your new Rolex.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Do you plan on getting it from an AD or out of state?
If you are getting it from a reputable source, then no worries. You will be very happy with your new Rolex.
Correct.

Plus, I would suggest a white Explorer II so that when the time comes that you would want to get a SS Sub, it would be okay since it comes in black;-)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Since it sounds like this will be your daily wear watch, just make certain it something you can live with on your wrist, for a long time. Choose wisely....and best of luck! :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is just not working out. i went to the AD but the ss sub is out of stock. then i tried the white and black explorer but it just doesn't look rite on me. even the salesperson commented that perhaps a breitling would suit me better.

i left without pre-ordering my sub, better to think carefully then to make a decision that's gonna cost a few Gs and live to regret it. Will know by this weekend if the AD would be able to get me a sub to try before i buy it.

til then, take care.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
this is just not working out. i went to the AD but the ss sub is out of stock. then i tried the white and black explorer but it just doesn't look rite on me. even the salesperson commented that perhaps a breitling would suit me better.

i left without pre-ordering my sub, better to think carefully then to make a decision that's gonna cost a few Gs and live to regret it. Will know by this weekend if the AD would be able to get me a sub to try before i buy it.

til then, take care.
Definitely don't rush into it and don't let them talk you into, or out of, what you really want.
Good luck and keep us informed!

·
Registered
891 Posts
No rush of course! But something you really like since you are spending so much on it. =)

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I am thinking about the same thing...that is buying my first and maybe ONLY Rolex.
Could anyone suggest one which I could use daily and be a 'keeper' for years to come?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Breitling and absolutely love it, I went to store to buy it and did so.

If you want a Rolex buy what you want, if you buy what the salesperson want you to you will be disappointed later.

Good luck and enjoy the process, it is exciting

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wait to get the one you want. A few weeks won't kill you. You will have it for a very long time and if you "settle" or rush, you will regret it every day.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
If you were getting just one which model would you get? the Black Sub, the GMT II, the Explorer II or wait for a few years and see if the Milgauss drops in price (unlikely event)?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I find it odd that a saleman would tell you the Explorers didn't look right on you. It seems an odd statement to hear from a salesperson.

Although I have a black dial Explorer II, it was only because the opportunity presented itself. I prefer the white for the II.

I would go out of my way to find an AD that had Explorer IIs, Subs, and SDs. Make sure you check out the Sea Dweller. Your preference will be obvious once you're looking at them on your wrist.

Breitlings are nice, too, however.. .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the sub has finally arrived but it is pre-owned and i have to send it for verification. keep a lookout & i will be posting pics once i hv this baby, last & final watch...i hope:-d

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: confused

Have you looked at the Yacht Master SS with the Plat. bezel and face? That is my daily wear watch. I have had it for 6 years now and not only is it in great shape still, it seems indestructable and it has appreciated over two g's. I always get comments on it as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Folks, after spending more than 5 grand on watches, it kinda dawned upon me that perhaps i should stop this rampant spending and acquire a really good timpiece. And there is no better watch than a rolex. I got my eye on an explorer II but not sure if i should get the white or black dial. anything i should look out for? Any advice from senior bros would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.:-!
I currently own both Rolex and Breitling watches. The Rolex watches are a Sea dweller, a stainless Sub, stainless GMT Master II and my newest add a black faced TT Datejust Turnograph. The Breitling is a white faced Navitimer. I have had tons of Rolex as well as several Breitlings so I speak from experience. The Breitling is the smoothest finished of the two. I think they are probably close in quality and workmanship. The real difference is in resale value. I always buy from someone who has recently bought new but for one reason or the other is having to sell. Having had and sold probably 20 Rolex watches I have never ever sold one and lost money. Almost every time I have made money. With this in mind and since most peoples taste changes I would suggest a Rolex first. If you are not happy you can always get your money back and try a Breitling.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts