WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

Bear with me, i'm totally new to the world of watches.

I'm buying my first (proper) watch soon, or rather having one given as a present for my 30th birthday.

I really like the look of the Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (silver braclet, gold detail).

I'd like to know if this is a sensible watch to choose? I'd like a reliable mechanical watch that will last a lifetime of reasonable daily wear. Obviously i'll take it off for any extreme activities i might be planning.

I've seen it mentioned that this watch doesn't have a screw down crown, and you need to be careful as a result. what does this mean? is it not robust, waterproof etc.?

Will it be OK in rain? I cycle a lot, so what about vibrations affecting the mechanics? I won't wear it Mountain Biking, just general commuting.

If this wouldn't suit, can anyone suggest a similar looking watch that would be suitable for daily wear and not just used as a dress watch.

Thank you all in advance.

·
1,263 Posts
Good choice with the Big Crown Pointer - that watch looks good with jeans or a suit - very versatile.

The screwdown crown helps with water resistance. With no screwdown crown, I would avoid any swimming, showering, etc. A little rain shouldn't hurt it.

I would not recommend any biking - mountain or otherwise. For one, it will get sweaty and dirty. And constant vibrations may hurt the movement. They have built in shock protection, but why push it? Daily commute shouldn't be too bad. But any recreational, long-range stuff I would recommend something like a Timex Triathalon.

That watch is very reliable and should last a lifetime with reasonable wear and usual service (every 5 years or so with daily wear). The ETA/Selitta movements are tried and true, very reliable, and can be serviced just about anywhere.

If you don't wear a suit every day, I might suggest you also consider something from the BC3 line. And even if you wear a suit, maybe look at a Classic line.

Chris

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think it's a great choice. The new ones are 100 meters water resistant and I believe will be robust enough for what you want.
I have the new Hunter LE and just love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the advice, both in this thread and elsewhere in the Oris forum.

I'm definitely settled on the Big Crown Pointer Date, I love how it looks in a variety of styles, which brings me to my next question.

I would like to buy the silver and Rose gold version, with the matching bracelet. But I also love this silver/gold combination with a brown leather strap. Is it possible to change the straps myself? Are they just held on by pins? I know some watches aren't able to change straps/bracelets ad hoc.

I presume I don't need an Oris strap? I was intending on buying a simple, quality brown leather strap and wearing it like this most days. I would then swap to the bracelet when I was attending a formal occasion to dress the watch up a bit.

Hope this would work as it effectively gives me two watches in one, and I think the crown/face is versatile enough to pull this off.

Thanks,

GVJ

·
1,263 Posts
That is a good idea. Any strap that fits the lug width will work. I've put some alligator straps on my Oris watches and they not Oris branded. I also recently purchased an alligator grain leather band. It was Hadley Roma and was about $30.

Changing the strap/bracelet is relatively easy if you have a springbar tool. I bought a Bergeon and it works great. I've done several changes for myself and friends with it.

Here is a link to where I got mine
Spring Bar Tools

That watch looks great on a dark brown strap. So you would have 2 great looking combinations with that idea.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts