WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Torn between buying a new blue DJ 36 (126234) from an AD ($8500 pretax) vs 116234 ($8000 no tax) from AuthenticWatches

pros on 116234 from AuthenticWatches
  • Prefer some style elements of prior model (roulette wheel, railroad track dial)
  • no sales tax so cheaper by ~$1k when you factor in taxes
  • discontinued model so can’t get from AD

Pros on 126234
  • prefer the clasp vs super jubilee bracelet
  • Rolex warranty
I prefer some style elements of prior vs current but not sure how I feel about super jubilee. The AW one is unworn so assume new condition, but unsure how bad I need that Rolex warranty.

what would you do if you were me?

FWIW this is my first Rolex and I’m buying it to commemorate the first major deal I closed at work.

·
Premium Member
23,385 Posts
I would pick the newer Datejust 36 ref. 126234 if I were you.

Since it is to commemorate a major deal you closed, you want to buy it from an AD and get the full AD experience for that little bit more special feeling.

As for the watch, newer movement and full five year warranty from Rolex. Jubilee bracelet now comes with the new clasp as well.

Yes, I used to like the older roulette wheel but o can live without it. That’s about the only pro I can see with the old model.

At the end of the day, your money and your decision. Please don’t let us sway your final decision. You got to like what you see.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'd look at it this way: The extra money spent for the 126234 at the AD buys you a 5 year Rolex factory warranty that's actually meaningful. Grey warranties are, well, grey.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would pick the newer Datejust 36 ref. 126234 if I were you.

Since it is to commemorate a major deal you closed, you want to buy it from an AD and get the full AD experience for that little bit more special feeling.

As for the watch, newer movement and full five year warranty from Rolex. Jubilee bracelet now comes with the new clasp as well.

Yes, I used to like the older roulette wheel but o can live without it. That’s about the only pro I can see with the old model.

At the end of the day, your money and your decision. Please don’t let us sway your final decision. You got to like what you see.
Thank you for the reply. Few follow up questions.

- what is the AD experience? I went to watches of Switzerland in NYC to look at it a few wks ago. no offense but I didnt feel that special (of course I hadn’t pulled the trigger yet so maybe there’s something that comes when you buy?

- for those familiar, is there an nyc AD that you would recommend?

- is the new movement significantly better?

- is it possible to get an AD or Rolex to replace the date wheel with a roulette without voiding the warranty?

Thank you for the responses, I have never purchased a new watch or a Rolex so appreciate the insights

·
Registered
4,894 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
First major deal? Invest the money. If you really want a Rolex, follow what speaks to you most.

I bought a new Datejust in 1989 when I closed my first big deal at my company. I paid around $3300 including sales tax. Still have the watch today and I could sell it for about $5k. Had I invested in the stock market instead, I'd have somewhere around $50-75k today. Food for thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the advice. For context, I am a 33 year old investment banker. Announced a $10bn deal this week that I’ve been working 100-120hr weeks on for the last 3 months. I’m ready to treat myself to something I’ve been eyeing for years, not as a watch to rotate and sell later but more of an heirloom that I’d like to pass on to my future kid when that time comes.

In my opinion, that’s what differentiates Rolexes a bit more vs other reputable (and arguably sometimes more interesting) brands but that’s a separate conversation. I thought I’d never be that Rolex guy but here I am wanting one for a special occasion.

I just really want that roulette wheel but I don’t want the super jubilee bracelet, want a jubilee with clasp. Can’t decide if the extra $1k buying from AD is worth the warranty - would think Rolexes would be good for 5 years without issue no?

·
Premium Member
5,994 Posts
AD hands down, without question.

A buddy of mine brought a Tag Heuer from Authentic Watches years ago, no manufacturer's warranty and the serial number was polished off. The watch broke, Tag Heuer refused to service or repair it.

·
Premium Member
9,380 Posts
My general thoughts: I have spent quite a bit of money grey market, including Authentic, and have never had a bad experience. Every piece I’ve purchased from them has been brand new in plastics. You don’t get the official warranty in most cases but the error rate on brand new watch movements is quite small and the small risk has always been worth the cost savings to me, not to mention AW has their warranty with good customer service in my experience (YMMV) so I’d trust them to make it right if needed. Rolex however is an interesting example because typically even grey dealers don’t offer significant discounts on Rolex models, at least ones in demand, and if there wasn’t a material savings I’d certainly go with the AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AD hands down, without question.

A buddy of mine brought a Tag Heuer from Authentic Watches years ago, no manufacturer's warranty and the serial number was polished off. The watch broke, Tag Heuer refused to service or repair it.
Thanks - I’ve been scanning the forum for AW reviews and the negative ones seem to be from years ago. Wonder if they cleaned up their act.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My general thoughts: I have spent quite a bit of money grey market, including Authentic, and have never had a bad experience. Every piece I’ve purchased from them has been brand new in plastics. You don’t get the official warranty in most cases but the error rate on brand new watch movements is quite small and the small risk has always been worth the cost savings to me, not to mention AW has their warranty with good customer service in my experience (YMMV) so I’d trust them to make it right if needed. Rolex however is an interesting example because typically even grey dealers don’t offer significant discounts on Rolex models, at least ones in demand, and if there wasn’t a material savings I’d certainly go with the AD.

this is where I was leaning - I don’t think DJs are in high demand so id think the $8k for prior model (no tax) vs $8.5k for current model (pre tax) (so +$1k with tax factored) is not an absurd discount to warrant raising suspicions.

barring any issues, even if there was a material service required would think it’d be $1k so it’d be a wash.

Now it’s just style wise to decide which I care more about - roulette and railroad dial or clasped jubilee. Think the dial would be more visible to me but the AD told me the super jubilee tends to catch on the Rolex crown.

might be a toss up folks. Any one else care to weigh in? Appreciate all the responses and hope to make decision this weekend.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would have chosen AD. No matter what I buy, I only buy products with an official warranty. Whether or not there is a warranty left, I think the warranty is a certificate of my belongings. Of course, the website is reputable and one of the biggest sellers in the United States, but they don't offer an official warranty. They probably offer their own warranty papers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Few follow up questions.

- what is the AD experience? I went to watches of Switzerland in NYC to look at it a few wks ago. no offense but I didnt feel that special (of course I hadn’t pulled the trigger yet so maybe there’s something that comes when you buy?
The AD experience for first time buyers, especially at Watches of Switzerland in the UK, is special and something to behold. If, you have fantasies about being degraded and treated like **** that is...

I work in financial services as well and know that some people get tired of being powerful all the time and like a bit of spanking, WoS will definitely deliver if you're looking for that sort of experience :ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
236 Posts
126234. Somebody might've already mentioned this, but in addition to the better clasp, you get the newer movement with 70 hour power reserve.

Also, you might want to confirm the no sales tax thing. I know Watchbox is charging sales tax for all purchases.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5959HH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also agree AD without a second thought.
You are at the beginning of a relationship which may (or May not) develop with time. And there is a certain memory when receiving an authentic watch from an AD for the first time, activating the card and having it sized in store that lingers forever.

I still remember each and every Rolex purchase

The hidden crown clasp does not mitigate the benefits of the new movement. I don’t mind the oyster clasp. A watch is there to love and use. You should see the state of my Sub clasp!

·
Premium Member
8,289 Posts
116234 was introduced in 2013, and was replaced by 126234 in 2019, so it had a 6 year run. Now, the 5 years warranty was implemented by Rolex on the 1st of July 2015, which means that if there is no warranty left with this watch, it's probably older than five years.

Nevertheless, even if the watch is a NOS, why would you go for a pre-owned (it is what it is) watch without a factory warranty just to save $1K, which in fact is not a saving since you won't be getting the same watch you will be buying from the AD. I don't see any kind of saving, I just see 2 different watches sold in different places under different conditions, at two different prices. Now, no one can make a choice for you here, only you can decide if that extra thousand is worth it or not.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think that first part is right. I know I've seen pre-rehault 116234 which would make it 2008 or earlier. And I'm fairly certain I was considering an F series 116234 which would go back to 2003.

·
Premium Member
8,289 Posts
I don't think that first part is right. I know I've seen pre-rehault 116234 which would make it 2008 or earlier. And I'm fairly certain I was considering an F series 116234 which would go back to 2003.

I found the 2013 date here, but they could be wrong

1 - 20 of 30 Posts