WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Omega says if the watch isn't from an authorized dealer, it's not genuine. Authenticwatches.com has 100% feedback.
I took an old watch to the Omega service center here In Australia today and the staff told me they've seen fakes that were so good that they had to send them to Switzerland for confirmation....scary.
I assume Omega sell to businesses like Authenticwatches.com on the sly.
Anyone know what's really going on???

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't think they mean that watches online are definitely not genuine, just that you run the risk of it not being genuine. I'm sure Authenticwatches.com sells genuine watches, and thats why they've got 100% positive feedback.

If you do buy from an unauthorized dealer, the warranty is void. And the Omega service center will only service the watch if its genuine with a genuine serial number.

However, I am also curious as to where these unauthorized dealers get their watches from. And i'm not talking about second hand. Websites such as Amazon aren't authorized dealers but somehow still have new watches with blank cards. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The online sellers get their watches from ADs that have not been able to move the merchandise sufficiently quickly. They will take a certain loss rather than seeing a watch sit on the shelf for over a year or two. It's better to cut your losses rather than to have total losses. We are still in a recession, regardless of what the "experts" say. When you have 10.2 percent unemployment, you are in a recession, no matter if business orders are pickingup. I would imagine that all but the highest end watches have seen precipitous drops in sales. Rolex has really dug in and are telling their ADs to hold the line on discounting. That's probably a good strategy if you have sufficient cash reserves to hold out. Omega discounts more than Rolex, but they don't "go discount" per se, the way Citizen and Seiko have.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
As long as the serial numbers are intact I wouldn't worry about grey market watches as long as it's a reputable seller like Bernard.

I doubt the fakes are going to Switzerland for "confirmation" but more for, "hey check this out, genuine dial from Ofrei". Opening the case back or checking the serial should tell you pretty quickly if it's a fake or not. Even the high quality ETA based fakes are not using high grade movements.

It's possible to grind down the serial numbers and use a second hand Omega 1120 or something and I've actually seen a SMP with genuine hands, dial, and a fake case with a polished over serial but that's very very rare to go that far when you can pick up a real SMP for $1100-1300 or so.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.
I was aware that buying online voids the factory guarantee but are you saying that Omega wont even service/repair older watches that have been bought online for a fee?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys.
I was aware that buying online voids the factory guarantee but are you saying that Omega wont even service/repair older watches that have been bought online for a fee?
Unless it has had the serial number deliberatley removed, then YES, they will service and repair watches. However, if it is no longer under warranty, or the warranty card was not stamped by an AUTHORISED Dealer, then they will charge you a princely sum for the work.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Unless it has had the serial number deliberatley removed, then YES, they will service and repair watches. However, if it is no longer under warranty, or the warranty card was not stamped by an AUTHORISED Dealer, then they will charge you a princely sum for the work.
And FWIW, once the expired, but for the sake of completion, the warranty card is essentially rendered meaningless.

I would just make sure that the watch has all the serial numbers, which as I understand now Authentic Watches does not remove them.

mike.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Unless it has had the serial number deliberatley removed, then YES, they will service and repair watches.
Does this mean that if your watch has no serial number Omega will refuse to carry out a routine, paid-for-by-the-customer service in, say, 5 or 10 years time?

However, if it is no longer under warranty...then they will charge you a princely sum for the work.
Surely that is true for any watch bought from an AD? Don't we all have to pay for work when the warranty expires?
So (assuming that it is genuine) as long as the internet-purchased/grey market watch does not fail in the first 2 years (3 for a co-axial) then there is no difference at all?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts