WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone from the US bought a Steinhart watch of their website? I was wondering if I had to pay the VAT or a customs fees? I heard of people getting charged from fedex/ups/usps. Any info on buying internationally would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
I've bought four from them direct. You don't have to pay VAT unless you live in Europe. Also, you will most likely get a letter from FedEx soon after your watch arrives asking for anywhere from $18 to $19 and it will be called a "remittance advice." Small price to pay though. I've only gotten 2 of those out of my 4 watches ordered. Process is smooth, but if you order a watch that is out of stock, don't be surprised if you wait a month or more. I was very satisfied with Steinhart's customer service though, they even gave me a free NATO strap when one of my watches got delayed. Also, their communication is excellent. I do recommend buying from them direct.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the fast repsonse. The watch I'm looking at is 479 euros. So there is a chance I won't have to pay a "remittance advice"? If I do will it be $18-19$ (a set number) or a precentage based on the watch? Do you remember the percentage? Thank you.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Thank you for the fast repsonse. The watch I'm looking at is 479 euros. So there is a chance I won't have to pay a "remittance advice"? If I do will it be $18-19$ (a set number) or a precentage based on the watch? Do you remember the percentage? Thank you.
I don't remember what it's based on. But looking at the sheet of paper I have in front of me it appears to just be a random customs fee. Because for the same price watches that I ordered (Ocean One) (295 euros before shipping, I think about 324 after?) and the more expensive Marine 38 at 337 euros before shipping; Both advices came out virtually the same. One was about $18.90 and the other was $18.49. Since your 479 euros watch is a little higher, i'm not sure if that affects the fee at all. I really think it has more to do with the weight and type of package as determined by FedEx and the US Customs. So, yours might be the same, others here on the forum who have bought all different types of Steinharts have generally reported anywhere from $12 - $19. Also, you don't have to pay it immediately. On my first one, FedEx delivered my second watch before I even made the check out to them for the first post-delivery fee, so I don't think it's too serious unless you have an account with them. (Which I don't)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just got a bill from Fedex for the Duty fee for the OVM I got a few weeks ago (I can't recall what the Euro cost was) for ~$17 and some change US. I've ordered several watches from overseas & that's the first time I've had to pay any Duty fees - oh well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts