WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, been lurking for a few days and thought asking for advice here would be a better use of my time than checking the private seller forum constantly. Also, my watch knowledge is nonexistent.

I'm not baller at all, only looking to spend no more than roughly 1.6k.

Originally I was looking for a Seamaster, but I've started to like the Speedmaster as well. Hoping for suggestions.

I have pretty small wrists, so that might really limit my choices. I am currently wearing a 36mm movado that a friend gave me as a gift and I have enjoyed the size. I should be able to wear something reasonably bigger, I just haven't for a while. I was wearing some citizen watch I bought from costco prior (yeah this purchase is a huge upgrade for me) which was "fine" (I think 41mm case and 11.5mm thickness), a bit too thick, though.

I saw some of the Japanese ebay sellers and checked them out, but I would prefer avoiding auctions if I can.

So yeah, I really got off track and off topic while looking for the specs of my old watch and kind of started rambling...

Thanks for reading, if you got this far. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Are you going to wear it with a suit to work, or want something that's rugged and sporty like a dive watch, etc? Is water resistance of a Seamaster more important than a classic look with a Speedmaster? It's hard to make a recommendation when we don't know what you like, or need.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
There's a speedmaster day/date on the sales forum for €1100 if I remember right, which is within budget it will prob be a 42mm, not sure on thickness, just depends what you want and like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Mid size seamasters are definitely within your reach. You could also pick up a regular speedmaster date which I believe is 40mm
As others have said we need to know more about your preferences before we can make accurate recommendations

·
Sponsor
13,579 Posts
Seamaster Professionals (SMP) are modern classics, esp the 42mm blue "Bond" 2531.80, and the 36mm 2551.80 can be had for under $1600 without much effort.

Speedmaster Professionals ("Moonwatch") is an iconic watch but above your price range. I've never seen one in decent condition listed under $1600 in the last couple of months.

Speedmasters (37-39mm automatics) can be found well within your price range.

I commonly wear 36mm swatches and was surprised that 42mm was not big at all. Depending on the shape and size of your wrists you can rock a 42mm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.

I am looking for a daily watch. I'm a law student, so something that will be accepted in a somewhat formal setting. I doubt any Omega watches won't fit this description, though. I also want to be able to wear it when I'm wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt. I'm not sure about self-winding, seems like a hassle. I haven't put too much thought into the movement. I swim, but I don't see myself diving any time soon.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fsot-omega-speedmaster-3510-5-a-1077081.html ?

And to find prices within my range would I be best off just checking the sales forum on here?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
You said your citizen was too thick at 11.5, pretty sure that's about where an SMP falls in (even thicker with the new ceramic models). I've owned multiple Speedmasters and Seamaster and can tell you that none of them (besides the old ones from the 60's with no rotating bezel or maybe the pre-bond quartz models) are going to be any thinner than that

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yes, do a search on the sales forum.
Use WatchRecon (site and app) for convenience.

Also quartz might work for you - seems to tick all your boxes and prices are certainly lower for equivalent watches, plus you likely won't have a nasty service surprise (typical advice here is to factor in a service on any used mechanical watch unless there is documented service within last 2 years).

Reactions: watchvaultnyc

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Consider the Speedmaster Reduced. Will work with your smaller wrist, is perfectly acceptable in a formal setting and well within your budget (check out seller jmryshi on eBay).

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You said your citizen was too thick at 11.5, pretty sure that's about where an SMP falls in (even thicker with the new ceramic models). I've owned multiple Speedmasters and Seamaster and can tell you that none of them (besides the old ones from the 60's with no rotating bezel or maybe the pre-bond quartz models) are going to be any thinner than that
On second thought, I think it's more of the size of the case along with the huge crown that bothers me more than the thickness. I just need to be able to bend my hand to a 90 degree angle (most commonly when I need to put on a backpack or lift something) without having to worry if I am going to screw up the band, which was always my worry (lol) with my crappy $200 citizen.

Edit: I've noticed the search function on these forums is...lackluster..? It seems to only pick up about 1/10th, if not worse, of FS threads. When I type in "seamaster," search in titles, specify the private sellers forum, and not to check subforums, a ton of threads I remember seeing do not show up in the search. Only a handful of the results have had replies or were created in the past 24 hours.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,597 Posts
On second thought, I think it's more of the size of the case along with the huge crown that bothers me more than the thickness. I just need to be able to bend my hand to a 90 degree angle (most commonly when I need to put on a backpack or lift something) without having to worry if I am going to screw up the band, which was always my worry (lol) with my crappy $200 citizen.
You may want to revisit the fit of your watch. Mine used to be loose enough that it would drop down to the "hinge" of the wrist, and similar to you, if I bent it to 90 degrees (usually when I was pushing doors open), it would dig in pretty badly. It really hurt when riding a bike, too.

I had half a link taken out to snug up the fit just a bit, and now it sits just above the pointy bones and away from the hinge area. It's also still loose enough to slide around and let my skin air out.

Edit: I've noticed the search function on these forums is...lackluster..?
Yup.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I am looking for a daily watch. I'm a law student, so something that will be accepted in a somewhat formal setting. I doubt any Omega watches won't fit this description, though. I also want to be able to wear it when I'm wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt. I'm not sure about self-winding, seems like a hassle. I haven't put too much thought into the movement. I swim, but I don't see myself diving any time soon.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/fsot-omega-speedmaster-3510-5-a-1077081.html ?

And to find prices within my range would I be best off just checking the sales forum on here?
Based on your comments, I am going to recommend a quartz aqua terra. Beautiful watch good with formal and casual. QUartz, so no worries about winding, and good enough WR for basic swimming and beach activities.

And best of all, I've seen them come up quite often in your price range.

Good luck!

·
Sponsor
13,579 Posts
Based on your comments, I am going to recommend a quartz aqua terra. Beautiful watch good with formal and casual. QUartz, so no worries about winding, and good enough WR for basic swimming and beach activities.

And best of all, I've seen them come up quite often in your price range.

Good luck!
Aqua Terras are beautiful watches (I have one), but it seems to me that the line is still trying to find out exactly what it is.. esp with all those variants! It's not like the Speedy where you got the Speedy Pro which is sort of the standard-bearer for the line and then the automatics, or the SMP, which the Bond (however evolved) is still the "iconic SMP" and then the variants, and the Planet Ocean, which, well, seemed to find out it's identity the first time out.

AT's are beautiful, probably the most versatile Seamaster. But I have this sneaking feeling that they may not be a line that lasts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts