WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it may be obvious to others, wanted to hear from others why some watches are sold without boxes or papers.

Personally, I never throw anything away for many reasons. I would think for some higher end watches it would make sense to keep everything but everyone is different.

I recently purchased a Panerai 422 used on Chrono. Was from a US seller but came only with the inner box. There were no papers as well. For as best as I can see the watch is legit based on posts I’ve found but who knows.

It just got me to think about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I'm sure a lot of people just miss place them. I've bought pre owned watches from people who couldn't find the spare links they took out when they bought it. Knock offs usually come with a box anyway.

Nobody knows until a watch maker who's familiar with Panerai pops off that case back. Panerai are one of the most faked watch brands in the world especially since some use an ETA movement it can be hard to tell.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Grey market purchases often don't have papers. And some people think they will never sell a watch so they don't bother keeping the box and stuff. And then when they sell it makes the price lower without the set.

Personally I hate the boxes. If it wasn't necessary to keep them for resale purposes and value I would throw them all out. All they do is waste space in my closet and I see them 2x ever. As I'm going to take the watch out when I first get it. And when I package it up to sell. If it's a watch I'm keeping then I only ever see the box once.

Papers have value to me only if the manufacturer warranty is still active. Besides that... More junk that I only keep because others value it if I ever get rid of that watch.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
While it may be obvious to others, wanted to hear from others why some watches are sold without boxes or papers. Personally, I never throw anything away for many reasons. I would think for some higher end watches it would make sense to keep everything but everyone is different. I recently purchased a Panerai 422 used on Chrono. Was from a US seller but came only with the inner box. There were no papers as well. For as best as I can see the watch is legit based on posts I’ve found but who knows. It just got me to think about this. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you want to know if your Panerai is real please make a thread at the Panerai forum. They are one of the most faked brands.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Extras are not a deal breaker but do represent a significant portion of the value of a watch. I've seen highly collectable pieces sell for 15-50% less due to lack of kit.

If you're going to buy only the watch:

1) Use an escrow service
2) Get a really good deal compared to a full kit example

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I just bought a Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronometer with the box but no papers. But I bought it from a reputable shop (Govberg) who is also a UN AD.

And when I sent the reference and movement number to UN, they wrote me back in a day telling me when it was first sold (2015).

I like getting the papers because the history interests me. But not everyone thinks to keep that stuff. It won’t keep me from buying a watch I otherwise want.

Rick “buy the seller” Denney

·
Registered
20,994 Posts
Non WIS are not so anal as us when it comes to their time pieces.

My wife has a Rolex that she bought in Dubai from a dealer before I met her, has she got the box and papers??

Course not!! why would you keep an old watch box cluttering up the place!!

Would I buy a regularily faked watch without box and papers?? Not unless it was from a suitably reputable source, and discounted to reflect the missing items.

Reactions: fish70

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the feedback and a lot just seems to be expected.

I am relatively new to this field so appreciate the teaching.

I will go ahead and post the piece on the Panerai forum as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Personally, I do not buy any watch for $1,000+ without, at least, the corresponding box. That is just my thing. To each, his/her own.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you want to know if your Panerai is real please make a thread at the Panerai forum. They are one of the most faked brands.
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Panerai have a serious authenticity problem, and I am told it is hard to sell them without box, papers, and even the original sales receipt.

·
Premium Member
61,678 Posts
I’ve still got the box and papers from a watch I bought in the 80s but a lot of people just chuck then out as soon as they get the watch home.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I keep the box of the modem I have.

Reactions: gohmdoree

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
As mentioned always buy the seller. I bought a Rolex Explorer II from Beckertime without box and papers. No worries because I knew the seller was highly rated.

·
Premium Member
19,986 Posts
No box, no papers is definitely a dampener and I wouldn't proceed with the purchase. Doesn't give me any confidence as the watch has been subject to counterfeiting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I won't buy a watch without its original box (at a minimum). I'd prefer to have the papers as well, but if the seller has a solid history and it's something hard to find that I'm dying to own, I might let that slide.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts