WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the pros and cons of buying a watch used? I am of course apprehensive about buying used, as I want the watch to function for a long time and in addition to not look like I found it in the gutter. Any advice to dispel my fears? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Pros: you can get a smoking deal and most WIS take excellent care of their watches.

Cons: the seller can screw you by not shipping the watch or lying about the condition.

Here are a few tips:

Buy the seller not the watch.

If it is to good to be true it is.

Check references.

Google the sellers name just in case someone else had a bad deal and posted about it.

Check the watch deals forum, for feedback and to see if references can be verified.

Pay with paypal using a credit card.

I have bought and sold many a watch on watch forums and have not had one problem. Others have not been so lucky but you can minimize risk using common sense.

·
Registered
555 Posts
As questions, ask for photos, get details, specifics, service history, original purchase date, seller references, review seller feedback, etc. It's always still a gamble and you're relying on the honesty of the other person. I'd also suggest staying off eBay and going with the sales sections of the different watch forums. I've been burned too many times on eBay by sellers grading a watch better than it really is. I just bought a Fortis B-42 Chronograph GMT that was described as "Mint" from the TZ grading scale and when I received it: not mint; not trashed, but not mint either. The scratches were easily buffed out, so I was not too upset, but was still misled by the seller.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I try to buy all of my watches used, the prices are so much better. I'm also very fickle and seem to only keep watches for a few months at a time. You lose much less (if any) money when buy and sell used.

Like others said, you have to trust the seller, that's the main thing. If you're buying a watch that has been taken care of, you really shouldn't have much to worry about.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Alright, next question: best places/forums to buy watches?
Here's how I do it:

TZ for stuff >$1kish.

WUS for stuff <$1kish.

Risti for straps and PAM stuff

That's generally how I see it. Obviously WUS has some more expensive items and TZ has some less expensive items, but typically it seems like TZ for more expensive and WUS for less expensive.

Those are the three sales forums I check daily. When I'm looking for something specific and want a broader search, I use this:

http://www.elitedealseeker.com/?category=watches

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been a member of a few forums (mainly music), and am fairly recent here. I also recently purchased a watch from the classifieds; it was a great experience. The things that helped me decide and feel comfortable were that:

The seller was offering a reasonable deal on a good watch.

He had been here for a bit (Forums are usually great places to buy, but someone who's been a member of the community is far less likely to pull something than someone who signed up just to sell something, in my opinion).

He took good photos of the watch and--most impressively--took great care to describe and photograph any small mark or possible issue.

Communication was good.

And I have a nice new watch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for posting that link. I had not come across that.

Here's how I do it:

TZ for stuff >$1kish.

WUS for stuff <$1kish.

Risti for straps and PAM stuff

That's generally how I see it. Obviously WUS has some more expensive items and TZ has some less expensive items, but typically it seems like TZ for more expensive and WUS for less expensive.

Those are the three sales forums I check daily. When I'm looking for something specific and want a broader search, I use this:

http://www.elitedealseeker.com/?category=watches

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I don't put a price range or limit on used watches from any particular forum. TZ does tend to have more selection because they have more users but WUS has a better dive watch selection.

And I agree with the posts above - buy the seller. If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Oh and in my opinion, I don't think ads that don't have good pictures are worth bothering with - the way I see it, if the seller can't be bothered to take a few decent pictures, then how much effort do you think they would take in handling the sales transaction?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts