WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have a new president I wonder how, what, and when buying a Shogun or Sumo from Japan will be affected. Perhaps we will see a rise of micro brand made in USA or assembled in USA divers. Perhaps now is the time to stock up on inventory before import taxes grab onto our beloved Seiko divers and add hundreds of dollars to the purchase price, or worse make them unavailable in the US.

·
Premium Member
9,112 Posts
New trade deals will take a LONG time to come into effect. Trade protectionist measures might happen faster, but I don't see Japan as an early target for them. There may be indirect factors...one might, for example, see The Donald saying things that tick off the oil producers, whereby they to cut production in retaliation, forcing prices up. This is much more serious in Japan, where basically ALL their oil is imported, and could lead to a major drop by the yen. That would translate to a price drop here.

But that's too complex a chain of speculation.

And actually, my big concern is that The Donald is just so volatile that he'll do/say things that lead to a major stock market drop, and more very tight economic times.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You might want to read what congress passed called the TPA, yes the president can make trade deals with Japan, congress can ratify, or deny can't amend.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have tried a web site called timepeaks in Japan. It is executed in a bit of an amateur fashion, but some 10-15% bargains can be found on a certain type of auction. I do not think that the new government will change that much wrt watches. Maybe Trump will wear Shinola, but we know how real "American" that is. It is all about the spin now. Rebel and take your family camping for a taste of something real and truly American.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Whatever changes happen wont take effect overnight. If you want it now get it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dman2112

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Now.

New tariffs on watches will be enacted by the US for foreign purchases, and other countries will retaliate with tariffs of their own.

Buy now as we are done importing JDMs are affordable prices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts