WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you rather buy a used for a for a fraction of the price or a new one at full price?

I want to buy a used watch right now, the price is tempting, but i just have a problem with the fact that its not new. Especially when i know nothing of the previous owner.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I buy almost exclusively ...

used. It's pretty easy to find out about the previous owner. Many of the preowned watches I've had were in better shape than new ones sitting in a case at an AD.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
If the price is right, ive got no problem buying used especially if its on a bracelet. While I might try and avoid somebody elses stinky leather strap, a good condition watch on a bracelet looks like a new one would look after a couple weeks of wear.

Of course with new you get that warm, fuzzy feeling.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I have no issues buying used watches. In fact, whether the seller of the used watch is reputable and reliable is more important to me than getting a perfect watch. Most used watches are in far better condition than than you would expect, especially the more expensive ones.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I think most of the responses from people here will be they prefer to buy used.

Myself, I prefer new. If a watch is expensive, I would prefer to buy it new and at a good discount. Cheaper watches I don't mind getting used, or ones that I know I am going to beat up. Most people would be the opposite and would rather realize greater savings by buying expensive watches used; but then, I don't mind not being like most people.

-s-

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
If the watch is in a good condition and the price is good, I don't mind going for a used watch at all. I make sure I give them a good cleaning and change the band if it looks a lil old. Good watches last many years so I know its value for money.

B

·
0 Posts
I would rather buy what I want for the best price available.

I am not sure how to answer the question as I have never paid full price for anything.

If you meant to ask would you rather buy a used xyz watch or a new xyz watch, that would depend on other things like condition, warranty left (if any), is the package complete with box & papers?

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I think most of the responses from people here will be they prefer to buy used.

Myself, I prefer new. If a watch is expensive, I would prefer to buy it new and at a good discount. Cheaper watches I don't mind getting used, or ones that I know I am going to beat up. Most people would be the opposite and would rather realize greater savings by buying expensive watches used; but then, I don't mind not being like most people.

-s-
I'm just the opposite. I prefer to buy expensive watches ($2,000+) used (but in mint condition) and save thousands of dollars, while I don't mind buying new for cheaper (under $1,000) watches (but at a nice discount).

For watches in between $1,000 and $2,000, it just depends on the watch.

- Mike

- Mike

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,256 Posts
Would you rather buy a used for a for a fraction of the price or a new one at full price?

I want to buy a used watch right now, the price is tempting, but i just have a problem with the fact that its not new. Especially when i know nothing of the previous owner.
The answer is yes, but it depends....;-)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Used unless it's really hard to come buy. The great thing about watches (I find, anyway) is that it doesn't matter how many users or how long it's been around, if it's in good condition the price usually stabilises after the first user, and for some models might even appreciate over time!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Used, no question.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
That's a very solid principle!

As for myself, I have gotten some nice vintage watches, but I have also learned that you have to be very, very careful. Most vintage watches have no water resistance, and if you wear them daily, sweat may work its way into the case and into the movement. There may be scratches and dents on the watch that the eBay photos didn't reveal and that the seller didn't say anything about.

Here's my rule now: buy vintage to get a "classic" model that you want, but buy new if you want something for everyday wear! Now, if you can get a used Omega or Rolex that still retains its water- and dust-resistance, you could make it a daily timepiece. Note, however, that most of the vintage watches you see on eBay no longer have their "gaskets" intact.

I wouldn't bet on any quartz watch's water resistance, as most have gone to the mall for a battery replacement, and the gasket gets mangled during the opening and closing of the case--and the watch battery kiosks don't stock a gasket for your watch--bet on it!

I have watches from the 50s and 60s that I wear occasionally, when the weather is not too hot and those times I am mostly indoors. But, no, I will wear a "newer" watch for my everyday activities, and I will wear a cheaper watch when I am working in really hot and dusty environments. I've never seen any point in beating up a $3,000 - $5,000 watch! I know that my Omegas can "take it," but there's no use in dishing out punishment unnecessarily!

Simple WIS principle #1:
Buy what you want,at the price you want,and from who you want.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You rarely, if ever, see a used watch selling for new prices. But quite often you see "like new" watches selling at used prices.

When I got into this hobby eight years ago, it didn't take long for a simple truth to become evident to me:

When I buy a new watch for $XXX, it only takes a week for that same watch to become a used watch that's only worth 70% of $XXX. Someone is going to capitalize on the depreciation of a watch's value, and that someone can be the AD, or it can be me when a watch is sold second hand (in actuality, it can be both of us... the only person getting stiffed is the guy who buys a watch new from the AD).

I soon learned that there plenty of valuable buyer tools online to help minimize the risk of buying a lemon, things like seller references, TZ grading scale, online reviews, etc.

I couldn't have stayed in this hobby as long as I have and have enjoyed as many watches as I have (162 at last count) if I'd only been willing to buy new.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
It depends on the brand some watches are so inexpensive new and readily available (I.E Vostok amphibs) That buying one used is not worth it to me simply to save a few bucks .For a few dollars more just get new.Then again sometimes with quartz watches if it in good shape and runs if the price is half or less than new I grab it.I have picked up a nice seiko sport watch a Casio edifice and a Timex electic that way etc etc.I have way too many watches:-d.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I just about never buy new...

... unless there is some kind of CRAZY discount. I either spend a lot less money or get a lot more watch buying used. And for that reason, I am positvley delighted that there are still many people that feel the need to buy new and wish to extend my personal thanks for taking the depreciation hit. ;-)

Roger

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
When I buy a new watch for $XXX, it only takes a week for that same watch to become a used watch that's only worth 70% of $XXX.
That's a nice way to think about it, but that isn't actually realized unless you try to sell the watch. If you're treating it like some sort of investment and tracking your watches' worth, then I think Bernie Madoff might have some better uses for your money!

Look at it this way: my GF bought a two tone Rolex ladies' Datejust a few years ago. Brand new at an authorized dealer. She was able to get the watch at significant discount and ended up paying $2800. Of course, the watch was worth a lot less the next week. Fast forward to 4-5 years later, she now has the opportunity to trade the watch in to Tourneau for $4200 of trade credit, good towards another watch we will purchase at 55% off.

The depreciation didn't matter during the time it was down; the appreciation wouldn't matter either unless it is actually traded and realized.

(in actuality, it can be both of us... the only person getting stiffed is the guy who buys a watch new from the AD).
Actually... if you think you think your simple truth was so evident, you'll probably learn some more simple truths from this hobby as you are in it longer:

1) it's not too difficult to buy new (esp. high end) watches for 30% of the original selling price (not 30% off... 30% OF. Discontinued models generally get liquidated at 72% off, and I've bought plenty of those). Sometimes the pre-owned buyer gets stiffed for buying at a price higher than new.

2) some people who buy new at high prices don't sell their watches, so they don't get "stiffed"... especially true for extremely limited edition pieces

3) people who don't mind spending money (there must be some) rarely consider it getting "stiffed" when they lose money from depreciation

Or, you may not believe those things to be truths... that's OK though. ;-)

And for people who feel they are getting "stiffed" when selling their new-purchased watches as used and losing money, those are good candidates for trading. I like trading with people so the actual monetary amount is somewhat obscured because trade values differ from sales values.

Oh, one more thing... the fewer people who buy new watches, the better discount those new purchasers can get!

-s-

p.s. I buy my cars new too, at least if they are current models.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Used, without a doubt. Just do careful homework on the seller.

G.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts