WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the story goes on his return to earth, Buzz sent his watch to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington to be displayed, but it got ‘lost’ on the way. It makes it all the way to the moon surface but gets 'lost in the post', yeah right, my take on this story is that some high level NASA guy (or someone else outside of NASA but with a great deal of clout) currently has this in their possession, but I really hope that Buzz himself is the owner and he sits by his fireside with a drink in one hand and the speedmaster on the wrist reminiscing about the good ole days :)

What are your thoughts on this because I doubt anyone really believes it simply got 'lost'.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Always figured that the watch was lifted by someone with whatever postal or shipping service was used, fenced and bought by someone who had to have it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think this is the perfect time re introduce myself. a lot of people have a lot of time on there hands, so do i LOL. be fore things get back to normal. i would like to thank the forum for being Adamant on wondering what happened to the first watch on the moon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Highly doubt it was actually "lost". What is surprising is that it hasn't turned up again yet. It's been 50 years, and at that length of time (and statute of limitations), you'd have thought someone would have come forward...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If it WAS stolen, the person stealing it may have not known it's historic significance. To them, it may have just been a $250 watch.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Do we know the serial number of the watch?

Maybe someone already has it.

Hopefully they upgraded it to a sapphire crystal, and put an exhibition caseback on it, put cathedral hands, and have it on a blue perlon strap.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
If it WAS stolen, the person stealing it may have not known it's historic significance. To them, it may have just been a $250 watch.
Probably the most likely event. We watch enthusiasts get all excited about the Speedmaster, but back in 1972 when Deke Slayton ordered them returned to NASA because, “That’s government property!”, they were just wristwatches that happened to have been loaned to the Apollo astronauts and not considered all that valuable. It was discovered that Michael Collins had been wearing the Soeedmaster originally assigned to Neil Armstrong, and period photos show Neil not wearing Collins’s watch at all after the mission concluded. We have Omega’s marketing machine to thank for upping the public’s recognition of the significance of the Speedmaster. I’ve always thought that Buzz’s watch ended up in the hands of someone who had no real concept of what they had and after it quit working a few years later, it ended up in a land fill.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
I think this is the perfect time re introduce myself. a lot of people have a lot of time on there hands, so do i LOL. be fore things get back to normal. i would like to thank the forum for being Adamant on wondering what happened to the first watch on the moon.
You've been a busy guy for 10 years, welcome back! So are you going to pick up where you left off?? I do hope your time away has given you adequate time to assemble your "substantial evidence" for presentation... inquiring minds (still) want to know!

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/new-forum-426329.html#post3182818
Hi Wus users this is my first time blogging on this forum but I have been monitoring it for two years. 19 (1991) years ago my grandfather gave me a graduation present which was a omega speed master. I have substantial evidence indicating that this watch belonged to Buzz Aldrin and it was the watch that he took on the moon on July 20, 1969. Happy 41st Apollo moon landing to all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great idea i think i will start a thread. I have been waiting for the right time. I listed the watch on E Bay, I had conversations With MR Morley. Talked with Amanda Young, and the new curator Jennifer Levasseur In person along with special agent Francis McCarthy, Omega. Only one left is Buzz.

Thank you for setting the stage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great idea i think i will start a thread. I have been waiting for the right time. I listed the watch on E Bay, I had conversations With MR Morley. Talked with Amanda Young, and the new curator Jennifer Levasseur In person along with special agent Francis McCarthy, Omega. Only one left is Buzz.

Thank you for setting the stage.
How much is it up for..?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Omega sent the Movement to Norman Morris not NASA and then they were assembled by the Star Watch Company then the watch maker engraved in inside of the watch with a date that was created in May 1968. by Nasa similar to julian Date. I can't believed that people think nasa engraved the outside and not the inside of the watch. before testing the watch they would have to know when it was sealed Right. Buzz lost the watch at the ticker tape parade on wall street. after he reported the watch missing Nasa recalled all of the watches back to be engraved. My watch has the date it was sealed and the watch makers initials. My production date is very important. Time will Tell LOL

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Omega sent the Movement to Norman Morris not NASA and then they were assembled by the Star Watch Company then the watch maker engraved in inside of the watch with a date that was created in May 1968. by Nasa similar to julian Date. I can't believed that people think nasa engraved the outside and not the inside of the watch. before testing the watch they would have to know when it was sealed Right. Buzz lost the watch at the ticker tape parade on wall street. after he reported the watch missing Nasa recalled all of the watches back to be engraved. My watch has the date it was sealed and the watch makers initials. My production date is very important. Time will Tell LOL
these are the markings I am referring to
NASA engraved them, and serviced them in house by their own watchmakers, so sealed means nothing NASA opened them and serviced them

news-111617b-tm.jpg 1stspacewatch.jpg news-111617c-tm.jpg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts