WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 89-year-old father-in-law gifted me his father's watch, and i just had it returned from servicing:

Ball Railroad pocket watch - marked inside: "Ball Watch Co. Cleveland, O, 17 Jewels Adjusted 5 positions, Pat. Nov 17.96, Trademark Official Standard, B240348"

IMG_1128.jpg IMG_1130.jpg

Also received a nice 14K fob, and two 14K chains, one for vest, another for belt and vest!

The watch was not running when it was given to me, but a local jeweler has a horologist who works on these watches. The watch needed a new mainspring, then was cleaned up. About 18 winds to fully wound with a little over 24-hour reserve. Keeps great time!

willie
on the 'vintage watch for a vintage old guy' Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Gorgeous timepiece!! :eek:

Reactions: linux.author

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
linux.author...Hello. I am certain that many here would enjoy seeing a picture or two of the movement...would you care to Post a few? These RR Grade pieces are always beautifully damaskeened, and are works of art unto themselves! Michael.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am certain that many here would enjoy seeing a picture or two of the movement...would you care to Post a few? These RR Grade pieces are always beautifully damaskeened, and are works of art unto themselves! Michael.
michael - here you go - best i can do here at the casa, unfortunately:

IMG_1132.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

and inside the screw-back case:

IMG_1135.jpg

willie
on the cold and rainy Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
linux.author...Thanks! Your Waltham looks to be in unusually nice condition...nowadays, folks tend to overlook the reality that watches such as these were, actually, 'tools', and were carried, sometimes, for years under circumstances that very few folks in our era will ever encounter.

As a tech note: these 16s Ball's were produced by several USA makers, and can be surprisingly challenging to quickly ID--even for those who 'know'--and a neat 'trick' is to examine the "hairspring stud"...even though the rest of the movements can look quite a bit alike, each Manufacturer continued to use their own, specific, design in this area. Your Ball sports Waltham's "triangular" stud, and no other Maker used it. You might enjoy doing a little research @ Ball's...it makes interesting reading, & you'll become a veritable wellspring of information to those who query you on your snazzy RR Grade watch...enjoy! Michael.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts