WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been a member here for a couple of months now, I have enjoyed reading and browsing the forums and seeing many watches that have taken my fancy! I thought now a good time to get some of your thoughts and opinions on a (maybe) upcoming purchase.

So I currently have the Christopher Ward C65 Trident Classic which I bought to wear as my most 'dressy' watch as I'm big on the diver style of watch and I thought that gave me the best compromise and versatility. Now however I have stumbled across the beauty that is the Seiko SARX055, I have looked into others that have a very similar style e.g. the SARB035, SARY055, SARX033 and none quite get my attention as the SARX055.

Thumbnail.jpg SeikoSARX055-9.jpg

So onto my question, as I am quite reluctant to let go of the C65 and find the SARX055 doesn't quite live up to my expectations. Has anyone had them both? If so how do they both compare in build quality and looks in person? Or an outsiders view that has owned neither!

Thanks in advance :)
Chris

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
I've never handled the Ward, but I had a SARX045 that was a very well put together watch for the money. It never really spoke to me, but it seems pretty hard to beat in its range if you like the styling.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I owned a Seiko Sarx for about a week. It was beautiful in pics but did nothing for me in person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The SARX definitely looks better. But the movement might be less accurate. Also, how thick is the Trident? The Seiko I think it is 12-13 mm - for some it can be a little top heavy.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
SARX055 is a pretty amazing watch to wear and look at. Some people find the movement a bit lackluster, which I agree, but found no inconveniences while using it.

One thing to keep in mind - I know the “snowflake” dial looks mesmerizing, but at an arm’s length it is too fine to be seen. In other words, imagine it to be a nearly white dial, and go ahead with the purchase if you still think it’s worth it.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I'd keep the CW.

I've got a few Seiko's- and they make a GREAT product. I've also got a Trident. Grass is always greener on the other side.

UNLESS - you want to be more dressy. Then go Seiko.

If you want more sport versatility - keep the CW.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your replies!

I owned a Seiko Sarx for about a week. It was beautiful in pics but did nothing for me in person.
That is the biggest thing for me, I don't think I've seen a photo of it so far that I don't like. The photo of the SARX035(?) looks great!

SARX055 is a pretty amazing watch to wear and look at. Some people find the movement a bit lackluster, which I agree, but found no inconveniences while using it.

One thing to keep in mind - I know the “snowflake” dial looks mesmerizing, but at an arm’s length it is too fine to be seen. In other words, imagine it to be a nearly white dial, and go ahead with the purchase if you still think it’s worth it.
The movement I admit is the only thing that has put me off so far, the accuracy is something that I probably wouldn't notice all that much. The beat rate is something I do enjoy on the CW however.

I imagine the dial would be similar to the CW, it has a subtle wavy pattern that is not always immediately apparent unless you catch it in the right light or get up close.

UNLESS - you want to be more dressy. Then go Seiko.
I think I have made my decision... Although every time I have done so far, I've questioned it half an hour later. But a dressier watch isn't something I'd normally go for so I'm going to take the leap and broaden my horizons! My other divers will have to pick up the slack on the sporty/casual side of things.

Thanks for your advice and opinions, you've just put another hole in my wallet :-!

·
Premium Member
61,645 Posts
I’ve got several CWs but not that one. I have got the SARX055 though and you would need to look very hard indeed to find fault with it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks all for your replies!

That is the biggest thing for me, I don't think I've seen a photo of it so far that I don't like. The photo of the SARX035(?) looks great!

Thanks for your advice and opinions, you've just put another hole in my wallet :-!
Yes SARX035, it looks amazing in pics. I’ve just found that you gotta spend some time with a watch before you really know if its a keeper.

Part of the reason it didn’t take for me was that it was just dressier than I like. I’ve pretty much reconciled myself to the fact that I don’t really like modern-styled dress watches. If its dressier, then it needs to be vintagey, for me anyway.

Good luck with the decision. Hunting for the keepers is half the fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts