WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Citizen enthusiasts,

I'm now a member of your "club" and I'd like to get your opinion.

I've just received my AT8154-82L, a very nice radio-controlled watch with a light and comfortable titanium bracelet.

Unfortunately I'm not satisfied. It's not a basic movement or a $50 Casio, and I expected that the second hand would be perfectly aligned with the indexes.

But no, it isn't. The position is almost correct between 55s and 15s then it's going worse and worse until it's a quarter of a second late around 35s then it's going better and better.

I've tried the procedure to fix the hand position, but it's impossible to finely tune the position of the second hand with it.

I've also tried the reset procedure without success neither.

Do you think it's acceptable for this watch or should I returned it?

Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
To be honest, other then us watch nerds who obsess over every little issue and flaw, most watch buying folks don't even care about the second hand hitting all the markers. In the eyes of Citizen, there is nothing wrong with the watch.

I think you probably will not find another example of this watch that is any better. (you may find one worse)

I have long learned not to worry about the second hand hitting the markers. I use the second hand on a quartz watch simply to make sure the watch is running (a reason I will never own a watch without a second hand (except maybe a Breitlng Aerospace) )

My only issue on the topic of hands is the alignment of the hour hand and a properly aligned function hand (as on my Citizen skyhawk). On my skyhawk I have decided to live with it as all the ones I have come across in the local stores have this issue. So I would have to ether live with it or simply not buy this model. I like the watch so I live with it.

If you like the watch then keep it as you will most likely get used to the second hand.

As you French folks say: c'est la vie

It is a nice looking watch. We folks in the USA did not get that model

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
My AT8020-03L, which has an H800 movement, has excellent hand alignment on all six hands (the three main hands and the three subdial hands). It is my only quartz watch on which all hands have excellent alignment. The second hand hits most of the markers perfectly, but it misses by a hair on some (probably less than 1/20 second). I probably just lucked out with this one, since there is some sample to sample variation with the hand alignment on H800 movement watches.

Citizen AT8020-03L - DSC00501 (small).JPG

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your answers.

The AT8154-82L (blue dial) isn't available in France neither. Only the AT8154-82E (black dial) is. So I have no possibility to check the second hand before I buy. I got mine from an italian online retailer (easy to find with Chrono24).

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hello Citizen enthusiasts,

I'm now a member of your "club" and I'd like to get your opinion.

I've just received my AT8154-82L, a very nice radio-controlled watch with a light and comfortable titanium bracelet.

Unfortunately I'm not satisfied. It's not a basic movement or a $50 Casio, and I expected that the second hand would be perfectly aligned with the indexes.

But no, it isn't. The position is almost correct between 55s and 15s then it's going worse and worse until it's a quarter of a second late around 35s then it's going better and better.

I've tried the procedure to fix the hand position, but it's impossible to finely tune the position of the second hand with it.

I've also tried the reset procedure without success neither.

Do you think it's acceptable for this watch or should I returned it?

Thanks for you help.
Good luck with that.

It's common for quartz in the several hundreds of dollars/euros to be off. Even the vaunted Grand Seiko and Citizen Chronomasters with high-accuracy quartz and supposedly perfect alignment, which cost in the thousands of dollars/euros, aren't always perfect. In the HAQ forum you will fine some gripes about the Longines VHPs being the same and they're not cheap either (easily 3x what your Citizen cost).

One of the few models that the mfr. rags is perfect is the new Citizen 0100 that's 1 sec/yr but you better bring a fat wallet to buy one. It's easily 20x the price of your Citizen RC chrono.

If you have a quartz that's spot on it's the luck of the draw. Citizen RC watches (I have two) display good alignment for the price but both of mine show some misalignment, it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to live with it and just asked a local jeweler to adjust the bracelet.

It's funny to see how it's hard in 2019 to have a second hand that is accurate.

But his give me a good reason for always keeping my Ulysse Nardin Chronomètre de Marine 1846.

Anyway, I have two quartz watches with a perfect second hand. One is a Casio Pro Trek, but only after I use the hidden procedure to finely tune the second hand.

The other one is a $50 wooden watch with a german name but produced somewhere in Asia. At first, it was bad, but I give it a shock on the side, and now it's correct. lol. Unfortunately, this manual procedure doesn't work with "good" watches.

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
I could live with it and it looks like you’re going to give it a go too. I just hope that it doesn’t start to niggle you over time.

·
Premium Member
36,117 Posts
Unless you have watch OCD (like most do here....), you can probably live with it, and noted above, not all quartz parts line up on some.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
My AT8020-03L, which has an H800 movement, has excellent hand alignment on all six hands (the three main hands and the three subdial hands). It is my only quartz watch on which all hands have excellent alignment. The second hand hits most of the markers perfectly, but it misses by a hair on some (probably less than 1/20 second). I probably just lucked out with this one, since there is some sample to sample variation with the hand alignment on H800 movement watches.
I checked mine again more carefully and found that the maximum second hand error around the dial seems to be around 1/10 second rather than 1/20 second as I had stated, which is still pretty good, all things considered.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm happy with this watch. Not too heavy, thanks to titanium. Elegant. Comfortable.
Really nice watch.
Not too heavy, not too thick, elegant and comfortable I assume.
And thanks to radio controll you will always have exact time.
Let it last you long.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The daily drift is unnoticeable. Starting from June, 1st, I will deactivate the auto-sync in order to measure it during a week or two.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of course. I'm a little surprised anyway.

So, last night, I've disabled the auto-sync on my Pro Trek. It's also a great keeper. Maybe +0,1 spd.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Of course. I'm a little surprised anyway.

So, last night, I've disabled the auto-sync on my Pro Trek. It's also a great keeper. Maybe +0,1 spd.
Quite satisfying. Probably well below manufacturer specification.
Wear both of them i good health.

BTW - I am almost sure Casio has trimmer condenser for accuracy regulation - just in case you need it in a future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts