WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently purchased an automatic Seiko dive watch :)-!), with the 7s26 caliber. I am just curious to know, what is the reputation of this particular movement among watch and Seiko enthusiasts? is it considered accurate and durable? or not?

:thanks in advance for any and all answers!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm pretty new to Seiko automatics, just got a SKX025 about a week or two ago. From what I've read, there's the old 7S26A and the newer 7S26B versions available, the B version being introduced either in late 2006 or eearly 2007. The 7S26 movement is supposedly pretty rugged and reliable, but has can be pretty inaccurate (up to 30 sec off by some reports), but the B version has improved on this.

In my short time with my watch (apparently a "B" watch, but not sure), it's actually been a little slow. I haven't counted the seconds, but in the past week, I've lost about a minute. Most seem to be fast a little.

Anyway, does anybody know if there are any simple ways to regulate the accuracy of this watch by position (ie, crown down, up, face up, etc)?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Most believe the A was transitioned to the B movement in most models late 2006, early 2007. I've read that the serial number on the back of the watch indicates the month and year the watch was made-- the first number (eg, 7) indicates the year (though it doesn't distinguish between 1997 vs 2007), and the second letter is the month (3 = March).

Anyway, I tried comparing the accuracy of my watch to my Timex digital for the first time. I left it dial up on the bedstand, and after 6-7 hours overnight, my watch was fast by 2 seconds. However, after wearing it for the past 8 hours or so, it's actually now ahead by less than 2 seconds. Has anybody else experiences that wearing it slows down the movement?

·
Registered
233 Posts
The movement type is displayed by viewing thru the seethru back. Mine both say 7S26B, not sure if the A's will say 7S26A or just 7S26

·
Registered
131 Posts
7s26 movement is currently the cheapest automatic movement from Seiko. It is fully or almost fully machine made. No hacking and handwind but design is rugged and durable. Accuracy is not very consistent but if you are lucky to get a more accurate one and keep the watch almost fully wind, eg wearing 10hrs everyday, the accuracy can be as good as +/-5s/day or even better. The accuracy seems to get worst if you let it unwind for more than 12hrs based on most feedback.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hacking? not familiar with the term...
A "hacking" movement stops the seconds hand when the crown is pulled out to adjust the hours / minutes hands. This allows accurate setting of the time "to the second", think of those old war films where the heroes synchronised watches before going out on a mission...

Non-hacking movements (7S26) do not stop the seconds hand from running, effectively limiting how accurate they can be set BUT you can sometimes stop the seconds hand from running by applying "back presssure" to the crown and stem if the power reserve is running low.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Accuracy is not very consistent but if you are lucky to get a more accurate one and keep the watch almost fully wind, eg wearing 10hrs everyday, the accuracy can be as good as +/-5s/day or even better. The accuracy seems to get worst if you let it unwind for more than 12hrs based on most feedback.
is this true?

·
Registered
764 Posts
cnthwz,
Just wanna ask, do you take turns to wear your autos to keep them going and going rather than let them sit and stop? And of cox, set it when you wanna wear it?
I just interested to know becox I foresee my second auto is coming in soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts