WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was thinking about buying a 2100 either the steel or the ti. Does anyone have this watch? I was wondering how they like it. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I operated one with Titanium-built. The feature part is the charging-indicator located atop of meter which resemblance that of new eco-drive Campanola. E2100 family is avialable in three-appearance; dark-grey face as mine below, silver-face and black face.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
here's the white faced one
I sold it as the wife didn't like the white face but I probably will be looking to buy the titanium one pictured above
I really liked the watch

·
Registered
10 Posts
here is the black-look pic, albeit stainless steel version.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Just bought one 2 days ago (Ti model) & absolutely love it! A word of warning: it's HUGE! I have an Eco Zilla and the 2100 seems to be a bigger presence on my wrist (not as thick obviously). The Ti model is much lighter than the SS version; all the reviews I read before buying the 2100 say that it is deadly accurate, but only time will tell. I would recommend that you try one at a local store before you buy one because they are not for everyone due to their size. The recent price change by Citizen will really hurt their sales too. I got mine from a fellow WIS (thanks Jeff, by the way), but they are going for about $450.00 both on line & at the stores now - big mistake by Citizen I think. The only issues I have are the alarm - far too soft for me to be of much use and the date - it really could be bigger. I would highly recommend this watch; the fit & finish is truly outstanding! The watch also has the beautiful blue lume that lasts virtually all night; if you've never seen the Citizen blue, you're in for a real treat. The Ti version has a tough coating to help minimize scratches (important with a Ti watch).

Here is a link to the Watch Time article that talks about the 2100 (you need Adobe to read the article):
http://www.watchbizz.com/search/index.php?Match=1&Realm=All&Terms=Calibre+2100

This is a lot of watch & well worth the price. They don't seem to come up for sale very often on the various watch forums, so if you are interested in one, keep your eyes open; this watch is worth the wait, IMHO.

And here is a picture of my beauty (picture from the previous owner, Jeff):

·
Registered
397 Posts
Does the lack of perpetual calendar, and that is has a mineral rather than sapphire crystal detract anything? Or that it's +/- 15 sec month rather than +/- 20 sec/year like a Seiko Alpinist automatic quartz?

Peace

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Ti version has a tough coating to help minimize scratches (important with a Ti watch).
Interesting - do you have any more information on that coating? I've been thinking about picking up a Ti 2100, but one of the main reasons I haven't is because the version pictured (AV0021-52H) is not a Duratect model, and I didn't want to deal with scratching (I have several Ti watches, including a Samurai, and you're right, this is definitely an issue). The Duratect version is expensive and hard to find (PMZ56-2852 - maybe I could get one through Higuchi) - but if your watch has some sort of tough coating, then maybe the AV0021-52H will work for me.

I didn't know it had the blue lume, either (which neither of my two Citizens has) - just something else to pique my interest...

·
Registered
397 Posts
Interesting - do you have any more information on that coating? I've been thinking about picking up a Ti 2100, but one of the main reasons I haven't is because the version pictured (AV0021-52H) is not a Duratect model, and I didn't want to deal with scratching (I have several Ti watches, including a Samurai, and you're right, this is definitely an issue). The Duratect version is expensive and hard to find (PMZ56-2852 - maybe I could get one through Higuchi) - but if your watch has some sort of tough coating, then maybe the AV0021-52H will work for me.

I didn't know it had the blue lume, either (which neither of my two Citizens has) - just something else to pique my interest...
So is the only difference between the PMZ56-2852 and AV0021-52H the Duratect coating? How much of a price difference? Is the PMZ only available from Japan?

peace

·
Registered
200 Posts
So is the only difference between the PMZ56-2852 and AV0021-52H the Duratect coating? How much of a price difference? Is the PMZ only available from Japan?

peace

PMZ56-2852 also has a sapphire crystal rather than mineral; other than that and the Duratect, I think they're the same. It is a Japan-only model. Higuchi lists it at 75,000 yen (about $635) - see here: http://www.higuchi-inc.com/e210.html (there's also a black version, PMZ56-2851). If it really is just the sapphire and Duratect that distinguishes these models, the ~100% price premium seems nuts to me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
PMZ56-2852 also has a sapphire crystal rather than mineral; other than that and the Duratect, I think they're the same. It is a Japan-only model. Higuchi lists it at 75,000 yen (about $635) - see here: http://www.higuchi-inc.com/e210.html (there's also a black version, PMZ56-2851). If it really is just the sapphire and Duratect that distinguishes these models, the ~100% price premium seems nuts to me.
Ah ok! |>

Actually, the sapphire and more durable (assumingly) Duratect coating would be worth the extra to me. But that's just me. I tend to scratch watch faces pretty bad, so a sapphire crystal is actually something I put decent value on.

cheers

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ah ok! |>

Actually, the sapphire and more durable (assumingly) Duratect coating would be worth the extra to me. But that's just me. I tend to scratch watch faces pretty bad, so a sapphire crystal is actually something I put decent value on.

cheers
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have both those features too - in fact, I bought my first Citizen almost solely because it was sapphire/Duratect - and I'd certainly pay more for that. But at double the price? I don't know, maybe it's worth it.

Duratect does work, by the way. The two pieces I have look considerably better than my non-Duratect Ti watches.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have both those features too - in fact, I bought my first Citizen almost solely because it was sapphire/Duratect - and I'd certainly pay more for that. But at double the price? I don't know, maybe it's worth it.

Duratect does work, by the way. The two pieces I have look considerably better than my non-Duratect Ti watches.
Oops - thought I read $100 price premium, but that was 100% price premium... doh!
:oops: a bit of a difference, but still, if I was looking for such a watch, sapphire and duratect would definitely add value for me... But maybe not 100% extra though :-S

edit: arghhh - I broke down and bought a 2100 Ti (AV0021-52H)

peace

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Oh NO! I feel the forum effect kicking in! Must resist... wallet can't handle another watch.... can't fight the urge.... help!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Anyone know if the PMZ56-2851 and AV0021-52H share the same movement?

thnx

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Does the lack of perpetual calendar, and that is has a mineral rather than sapphire crystal detract anything? Or that it's +/- 15 sec month rather than +/- 20 sec/year like a Seiko Alpinist automatic quartz?

Peace
Fow what its worth... I owned a titanium Calibre 2100 and i found that it got scratched up pretty easily around the edges... The crystal sits up pretty high, and it sticks out above the rim of the case. (forgive the lack of correct terminology!, what i mean is that if you look at the profile of the watch from the side, the crystal sits up above any metal surface, so the edges aren't protected by anything) If you bang into anything as you walk, move, or reach out to grab something, (e.g. normal use), the edges of the mineral crystal (which really scratch easy) will show as pretty worn. This is the main reason why i didn't keep this watch. The face looks very cool. Lots going on in there!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Fow what its worth... I owned a titanium Calibre 2100 and i found that it got scratched up pretty easily around the edges... The crystal sits up pretty high, and it sticks out above the rim of the case. (forgive the lack of correct terminology!, what i mean is that if you look at the profile of the watch from the side, the crystal sits up above any metal surface, so the edges aren't protected by anything) If you bang into anything as you walk, move, or reach out to grab something, (e.g. normal use), the edges of the mineral crystal (which really scratch easy) will show as pretty worn. This is the main reason why i didn't keep this watch. The face looks very cool. Lots going on in there!
Good info... I just pulled the trigger on one, and will try it out. I'm not fond of the mineral crystal, but the price was right, and it's a titanium model (which I like for weight savings and also like the duller look). The Japanese version PMZ56-2851 with Sapphire crystal is very appealing, but at $620 USD (73000 Yen) (although Seiya quoted me $705 shipped and all).

I'm still trying to determine if the AV0020-55H (Euro market??) has a Sapphire crystal or not. :-S

Peace

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good info... I just pulled the trigger on one, and will try it out. I'm not fond of the mineral crystal, but the price was right, and it's a titanium model (which I like for weight savings and also like the duller look). The Japanese version PMZ56-2851 with Sapphire crystal is very appealing, but at $620 USD (73000 Yen) (although Seiya quoted me $705 shipped and all).

I'm still trying to determine if the AV0020-55H (Euro market??) has a Sapphire crystal or not. :-S

Peace

Let us know what you think of the AV0021. I'm thinking of picking one up as well.

Re: the AV0020-55H, it does appear to have a sapphire crystal. I see multiple internet sellers stating that, and I also see it on Citizen's Australian site: http://www.citizenwatches.com.au/products/product_print.php?model_no=AV0020-55H. I don't see a mention of Duratect, though some sites claim a TiCC coating (which, from what I've picked up on the SCWF, is not the same as Duratect - though it's better than no coating at all).

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yesterday, I e-mailed COA & asked them what type of protection was on my new Calibre 2100 (Duratect or titanium carbide). Here's their reply (came less than 10 minutes after I sent the e-mail; best customer service on the planet IMHO):

"Thank you for your inquiry. The AV0021-52H has the titanium carbide
coating.

Sincerely
Customer Service"

Doing some further research on titanium carbide coating I came across the following post on SCWF:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1110917559/

This says that the titanium carbide is twice as hard as the Duratect coating. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yesterday, I e-mailed COA & asked them what type of protection was on my new Calibre 2100 (Duratect or titanium carbide). Here's their reply (came less than 10 minutes after I sent the e-mail; best customer service on the planet IMHO):

"Thank you for your inquiry. The AV0021-52H has the titanium carbide
coating.

Sincerely
Customer Service"

Doing some further research on titanium carbide coating I came across the following post on SCWF:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1110917559/

This says that the titanium carbide is twice as hard as the Duratect coating. Hope this helps.
You know, it's never actually been clear to me what's harder: Duratect or the Citizen's TiCC coating. Over at SCWF, there doesn't seem to be any sort of agreement on this subject (or at least, I haven't found it). Re: your linked SCWF post, I don't think that the Titanium Carbide listed in that table is the same as what Citizen's using; I haven't seen that 2400 number anywhere else. There are definitely different formulations out there. For example, Citizen has mentioned a polished TiCC coating that clocks in at 1200 vickers (referred to here: http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/message/1102797767/). Since most of the higher-end Citizen watches use Duratect rather than TiCC (even the stainless Campanolas use a form of Duratect), it's natural to assume that it's the tougher coating - but who knows.

That said, it's good to know that the AV0021 has TiCC, which alleviates one of my concerns about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts