WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the California dial. I cannot afford a Panerai or a Rolex. That's outside my budget new or used. It seems that almost all of of the California dials I have seen on more affordable watches are either kind of cheaply made with Seiko NH35/Miyota movements or even better made models like the Gylcine are chunky and void of good finishing. The closest thing to a "perfect" fit for me is the reverse California dial on the Nomos Club. These are in my budget at $1650-$2250 - the $2250 at 40mm is better for my 8 inch wrist than the 36 or 38mm... But again, it's a reverse California...

Does anyone have a cool alternative that I might not have thought of?

I recently stumbled across this Ventura. It is decent - not ideal, but for $330, it's something I might get - 42mm - NH 35 movement - pictures look better than many -

...and then I find this at half the price. It is essentially the same watch isn't it?

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
No but about it - I’d love a Cali dial but it’s deciding which one that’s the problem.

·
Registered
31,241 Posts
I had a Dievas Vintage Kampschwimmer “Radiomir Homage” which was rather nicely built and ran very accurately.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I love the California dial. I cannot afford a Panerai or a Rolex. That's outside my budget new or used. It seems that almost all of of the California dials I have seen on more affordable watches are either kind of cheaply made with Seiko NH35/Miyota movements or even better made models like the Gylcine are chunky and void of good finishing. The closest thing to a "perfect" fit for me is the reverse California dial on the Nomos Club. These are in my budget at $1650-$2250 - the $2250 at 40mm is better for my 8 inch wrist than the 36 or 38mm... But again, it's a reverse California...

Does anyone have a cool alternative that I might not have thought of?

I recently stumbled across this Ventura. It is decent - not ideal, but for $330, it's something I might get - 42mm - NH 35 movement - pictures look better than many -

...and then I find this at half the price. It is essentially the same watch isn't it?
I preordered a Gruppo Gamma Peacemaker. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
161 Posts
why is this style called a california dial ?
This is a great read -

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This is a great read -

That's a serious bit of history Panerai has, a true tool watch!

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I prefer the upper 1/2 Roman Numerals on these, the lower RN markers take up too much space and look out of proportion.

Reactions: askinanight

·
Premium Member
36,117 Posts
Another vote for the Delka. Great looking watch, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts