WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my AD called me about the Tudor GMT - but I had just made a purchase literally days prior and didn't want to take on another expensive purchase. And was told off the bat it's not a model which receives a discount (I usually get 15% - 20% off most purchases).

If this was January next year I may have pulled the trigger. But curious what my fellow enthusiasts think... should I have pulled the trigger and gotten the watch at MSRP brand new?

I see I can get it for considerably discounted pre-owned on WatchRecon.

·
Registered
710 Posts
This hobby is a slippery slope. I admire your restraint, and self control. And I urge for you to maintain this attitude. I truly believe you can buy this watch later on, when it is more sensible for you to purchase it.

I have a personal rule, I only buy 1 watch per year. And now that I am trying to go up a tier, I will buy 1 every two. Usually I barely make it.

If its too large a purchase too soon, you have your answer.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Yes I've knocked one back recently just to see if I could!
A good mate that's gone upstairs once told me " just because you can, does not mean you should" so I tried it and am still kicking myself !...the mind of us WIS never makes sense imho..
They will keep making them mate..
All the best

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes as others said. MSRP for Tudor sounds steep. They are in the ADs here so easy to get hold of. The second hand residual value drops off a cliff too. So best get it nearly new so u don't take that hit.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Definitely wouldn't (and haven't) pay MSRP for Tudor, and the GMT in particular. Your decision to sit this one out is one I can stand behind.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know anyone who has managed to get a discount on the 58 in the UK and I actually think it is worth the retail.

Personally I wouldn't pay full price for the GMT because of the date wheel issue.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can get a NIB GMT off of chrono24 for right around retail (they start ~$200 higher, but you might be able to negotiate). You can get a slightly used one for less than retail. This isn't this insanely rare opportunity that you should put yourself into an uncomfortable financial situation to pounce on. I think you made the right call.

Reactions: bunnswatch

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I was willing to pa full price for a BB58, even joining a waitlist, but in hindsight I believe even that would've been a mistake. Reiterating what's been said, I personally wouldn't pay MSRP for any Tudor.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the response everyone! I feel like this is the first thread on here where every response has actually responded to an OP's post! Bravo!

But I agree with everyone - I'm going to pass. I may actually end up getting a Cartier Tank Solo XL or a Grand Seiko SBGM221 GMT (pictured below) next year from this same AD for 20% off instead.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for the response everyone! I feel like this is the first thread on here where every response has actually responded to an OP's post! Bravo!

But I agree with everyone - I'm going to pass. I may actually end up getting a Cartier Tank Solo XL or a Grand Seiko SBGM221 GMT (pictured below) next year from this same AD for 20% off instead.
View attachment 15521997
That GS dial looks great

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Until Tudor sorts the problem with the MT5652's date mechanism, I'd pass. Stories abound of new owners (in 2020) having the date disc get stuck between two dates (or advancing two days at once); even worse, owners receiving their BB GMT back from Tudor/RSC and suffering the same problem weeks/months after having the movement serviced or replaced entirely under warranty.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is my favourite GS dial. If it had lumed markers, I'd have figured out a way to jump on it. ;)

Yes def a bummer that it is missing lume. What also makes it great is that it is one of the less expensive options GS offers and it is a GMT at a great size and quality. Also, my AD would def come down 15%-20% and I could get it new. A lot going for it.

BUT! I previously owned the Cartier Tank Solo XL and sold it :( I def want it back in my collection at some point.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts