WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, like many, I am torn between the BB and the Pelagos. My main concern is durability of the Bezel insert on the BB. I'm wondering if current BB owners can comment on how well the bezel insert has stood the test of active wear - I'm talking surfing, hiking, diving, cycling, and just not babying the watch. I'd love to see pictures of some older BBs if possible. Also as a side note if anyone has any comments along the same lines for the superocean heritage I'd love to hear that as well. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
So, like many, I am torn between the BB and the Pelagos. My main concern is durability of the Bezel insert on the BB. I'm wondering if current BB owners can comment on how well the bezel insert has stood the test of active wear - I'm talking surfing, hiking, diving, cycling, and just not babying the watch. I'd love to see pictures of some older BBs if possible. Also as a side note if anyone has any comments along the same lines for the superocean heritage I'd love to hear that as well. Thanks in advance.
It's anodised aluminium, there's no magic involved. It won't wear out just with age, but if you bash it against a wall, it'll scratch because it's only a relatively thin covering of colour. Like any other dive watch really, apart from those with ceramic, rubber etc.

This probably isn't the forum for finding out how well a heavily-used, daily wear Black Bay lasts outside of offices and suchlike!

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
If its anything like the rolex sub bezel, it will last many decades.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450982782.909611.jpg

Here a photo of my old sub with OG bezel insert

Sent from my fax machine using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have worn my Black Bay everyday for the year and a half. It's been in mosh pits, hiking trails, black out drunken nights in Vegas, and recently, a dive trip in Mexico. No babying it here. There are a few dings around the outside, but nothing major. The 2 in the 20 minute marker on the insert has a scratch across it, but it's not gouged, more like a rub mark. The biggest issue happened when I hit it on a street lamp post, some paint is lodged in between the bezel insert and the edge of the bezel at 57 minute mark and I can't get it out. The same thing happened at 46, but I don't know how that one happened. I think it still looks good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
That's really good to know and thanks for the post about using them in all environs. I have been tempted to buy the Black Bay in Blue. But was thinking would need to go Pelagos for sturdiness. I am hard on my watches....really hard. So I wanted one for more daily wear, not dress. Though it would make the cut there too. I wear a nice watch to the office daily, its part of my attire. After work I am in a deer stand or on the salt water fishing. I have mainly beaters for that reason. Stuff I can beat up a bit without concern.

I somehow hate to do that to a $2000-4000 watch, though I certainly have. But I want to you see.....

Thanks for thoughts and love any others on sturdiness and toughness on daily wear.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Buy a Black Bay with confidence!

Reactions: Its-an-addiction

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I bought mine from day one, when the black bay was first released. It still looks fantastic. I think it's another one of those designs like the sub that looks better with some wear. Either way I can't imagine the bezel insert would be expensive. The Rolex one from RSC is only 50 bucks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Here is a Tudor Black Bay Blue used as a daily beater (shut your eyes). The BB also scratches super easy on the lugs during strap changes - all the ones I see for sale have scratches there, and mine did too. The Pelagos is certainly worse than the BB at resisting scratches due to it being titanium, and its also not easy to polish back (I don't even know if it can be refinished or not). The BB will get marks and scratches everywhere with use - crystal, bezel, bracelet, clasp. If you really want a scratchproof watch, I strongly suggest a Damasko or tegimented Sinn.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm actually enjoying the progression of swirl marks on the case sides on mine. Those highly polished mirrored sides were so stark in contrast to the vintage vibe of the overall watch. The bezel however is still perfect.

Reactions: omega1300

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I'm actually enjoying the progression of swirl marks on the case sides on mine. Those highly polished mirrored sides were so stark in contrast to the vintage vibe of the overall watch. The bezel however is still perfect.
I love those pictures you posted - I'll admit, I worry (a little) about scratches (though they're inevitable). But seeing yours - it looks great! No reason for concern! Keeping putting it to use!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I would go Black Bay and not look back - it's the best modern watch under $5 IMO
I actually think it is one of the best looking watches going, full stop. Its simplicity and restraint in modernity, yet retro vibe, is fantastic. I think you can put the aesthetics of the black bay up there with watches several times its price. My 2c anyways.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
I have worn my Black Bay everyday for the year and a half. It's been in mosh pits, hiking trails, black out drunken nights in Vegas, and recently, a dive trip in Mexico. No babying it here. There are a few dings around the outside, but nothing major. The 2 in the 20 minute marker on the insert has a scratch across it, but it's not gouged, more like a rub mark. The biggest issue happened when I hit it on a street lamp post, some paint is lodged in between the bezel insert and the edge of the bezel at 57 minute mark and I can't get it out. The same thing happened at 46, but I don't know how that one happened. I think it still looks good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think sticking a wooden toothpick into that gap will help get rid of that stuck paint for you.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just get a G Shock to wear as a beater like many of us do (or a Seiko, Helson or other boutique diver of your choice).

I have worn my Rolexes and Panerais when diving, snorkeling, sailing, kayaking, hiking, etc. but now I wonder what the hell I was thinking and wear the aforementioned models for more rigorous activities. My $0.02.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts