WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a WUS member for some time now but I haven't come across many Yorkshire (UK) based members. I thought I would start a thread to see how many are out there - I'm starting to feel a bit lonely :). It would be good to know what area you're from (don't need specifics) and what type of WIS you are.

To get the ball rolling - I'm from Rotherham/Sheffield (South Yorkshire) and I love all dive watches, particularly vintage models. I'm also a bit obsessed with the Sicura brand (a bit of an understatement).

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hi Matt,
Not a Yorkshireman I'm afraid, I'm down in Bolton. Given some of the far off countries our fellow forum members live, we're pretty close! :)
I'm mainly into Seikos myself.

-if I'm writing about watches, at least it means I'm not buying one or modifying one at this precise moment!....I need to let you all know....I'm John, and I'm a Seikoholic!-

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thats close enough!

I can see from your signature that you like them a bit :). Are you into any models, eras in particular? I've got 2 myself and may have 2 other in the pipeline.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Got quite a few vintage Seikos, mainly 1970s, a few 6138 and 6139 chronos, quite a few 5s of every size, shape and colour.
Then I got a 6309 7040, that then got me into modding them, and more modern ones mainly SKX007s and a couple of monsters and SNZHs...all modded!
Love Dagaz watches too...got a few Tsunamis, an Aurora (and Typhoon incoming)

-if I'm writing about watches, at least it means I'm not buying one or modifying one at this precise moment!....I need to let you all know....I'm John, and I'm a Seikoholic!-

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Ey up, Matt!

Originally from Queensbury, near Bradford, but now living on the side of the Pennines that we let the Lancashire lot have to keep them out of Yorkshire (oh, the irony).

Been a WIS from being a kid, but a bit more seriously since about 2008. Yet to see a watch over a grand that I'd spend that kind of money on (nothing to do with being a Yorkshireman!) Have a Hamilton Khaki that I'll never part with. I'm a big Seiko fan and have more of them than any other brand.

Perfect watch: 1953 Omega Thin Arrow. Best watch in the real world: Any SKX diver, especially the 007 but my favourite and current every day wearer is the SKX013 on a black NATO.

Ah'll sitthee...

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got quite a few vintage Seikos, mainly 1970s, a few 6138 and 6139 chronos, quite a few 5s of every size, shape and colour.
Then I got a 6309 7040, that then got me into modding them, and more modern ones mainly SKX007s and a couple of monsters and SNZHs...all modded!
Love Dagaz watches too...got a few Tsunamis, an Aurora (and Typhoon incoming)

That's certainly a fair few! The modding game seems to have bitten a lot of WIS and I'd love to give it a go but I'm not sure I've got the patience. I restore Sicura's but that's mainly because the movements are simple and I've built up a decent stock of spare parts (like cases, dial, hands, etc.). I do think that Seiko's are up there with the most "moddable" of watches.

I currently own these:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389535901.736114.jpg

Given to me by my late grandad. It now serves as my "lucky" card night watch. I like to think I can channel his card luck through it :).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389536002.464892.jpg

7c46-7008 Golden Tuna - My awesome bought me this for my 30th last year.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389536095.559741.jpg

This is the watch that sparked my WIS journey (although by no means my first watch). My mum bought my dad an original one back when they were first released - the bright dial was one of my oldest childhood memories. Unfortunately it was stolen when I was young so I thought I would try and track one down and managed to find this. I also managed to find an even better example for my dad - gave it to him last Christmas much to his surprise!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Love them Matt!
I don't really have a sentimental watch, but it's great that you do, especially if it does bring you some luck! ;-)
The Tuna is a beast! I don't own one (yet!) other than an SRP227 baby tuna. Not a big gold fan, but that looks great.
The vintage 6139 600x is a great watch!...I have the blue dial version. It's a shame your dad's got stolen, but I bet he was made up with his replacement.
I think it's great that you restore your Sicuras. I've managed to do the same with a few Seikos...I'm not skilled enough to service movements, but I can swap them, so I've made a good watch out of two a few times....though a little bit more sympathetically and accurately than some of those poor FrankenSeikos on the big auction site!! :)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ey up, Matt!

Originally from Queensbury, near Bradford, but now living on the side of the Pennines that we let the Lancashire lot have to keep them out of Yorkshire (oh, the irony).

Been a WIS from being a kid, but a bit more seriously since about 2008. Yet to see a watch over a grand that I'd spend that kind of money on (nothing to do with being a Yorkshireman!) Have a Hamilton Khaki that I'll never part with. I'm a big Seiko fan and have more of them than any other brand.

Perfect watch: 1953 Omega Thin Arrow. Best watch in the real world: Any SKX diver, especially the 007 but my favourite and current every day wearer is the SKX013 on a black NATO.

Ah'll sitthee...
Nah then Barry!

I've only been a serious WIS for the past 3 years although I've always loved watches. I can't say I'm with you on the "over a grand" watches as I've got a couple (Cartier Roadster and Seiko Tuna) although to be fair (in true Yorkshireman style) I didn't buy them, they were presents for landmark birthdays (21st and 30th respectively). Also if I had the money I would buy an original Omega Ploprof 600m. Having said that I tend to stick to the £300 for big purchases and try to get watches that need a bit of tarting up to keep the price down.

Definitely with you on the Thin Arrow!

Ci thi later...

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love them Matt!
I don't really have a sentimental watch, but it's great that you do, especially if it does bring you some luck! ;-)
The Tuna is a beast! I don't own one (yet!) other than an SRP227 baby tuna. Not a big gold fan, but that looks great.
The vintage 6139 600x is a great watch!...I have the blue dial version. It's a shame your dad's got stolen, but I bet he was made up with his replacement.
I think it's great that you restore your Sicuras. I've managed to do the same with a few Seikos...I'm not skilled enough to service movements, but I can swap them, so I've made a good watch out of two a few times....though a little bit more sympathetically and accurately than some of those poor FrankenSeikos on the big auction site!! :)

I can whole heartedly recommend the Golden Tuna!

I'm the same I'm not skilled enough to do full services but I can change the odd part, especially on the Sicura movements (after breaking my fair share practicing). Theyre not expensive movements but I like to tinker with them :).

Reactions: JohnnyBaldJunior

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
Hi Matt, I too come from the Sheffield/Rotherham area of God's county and my poison of choice is Oris and Tissot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Leeds Leeds Leeds.
Love the Tuna Matt its stunning.
I think one day I will try and get hold of a Marine master, maybe an sbdx011 or a cheaper version to see how I get on with it.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Matt, I too come from the Sheffield/Rotherham area of God's county and my poison of choice is Oris and Tissot.
Finally a local WIS! :)

I've so often nearly gone down the Tissot road but managed to fight the urge. I owned an old Two Timer for a bit but it didn't last long (way too small!)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leeds Leeds Leeds.
Love the Tuna Matt its stunning.
I think one day I will try and get hold of a Marine master, maybe an sbdx011 or a cheaper version to see how I get on with it.
Now then!

Glad you like it - I think the SBBN007 300m is a good starter. I've considered one for a while to wear to the office (more formal than my golden) but then I remember I work in IT and rarely wear formal wear to the office :).

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On another note do you ever go to work and wonder if you're in the presence of WUS members. I work in a large office and being an IT geek I don't actually speak to many people; only the ones in my general vicinity (partly due to my approachable, sunny disposition and partly because people see IT geeks as either invisible or lepers or both). I could be surrounded by them and not know!!!

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
Hi Matt, I too work in a large office building and am pretty sure that I'm the only WIS and WUS member in the place.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not as many Yorkshire WIS as thought. Probably because of the thrifty Yorkshireman syndrome 😄

Reactions: JohnnyBaldJunior

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm only next door being in Lincolnshire, plus my mum is from Yorkshire!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That counts I suppose! 😄

1 - 20 of 47 Posts