WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've recently become somewhat smitten by the catchily-named Omega Seamaster Railmaster Co-Axial Master Chronometer (SRCMC?) with a blue (er, denim) dial, reference no. 220.10.40.20.03.001.

I'm a big fan of the look, especially the lugs and dial, the movement and the bracelet. I might be able to get to an authorized dealer to try one on in the near future, but I am not sure when that may actually happen. Due to a strict one-in-one-out policy, I will have to sell my Rolex 1603 in order to purchase this watch. However, the DJ is a great size, 36mm, and the RM is 40mm. The RM's lug-to-lug is a tidy 46.6mm, which I think would aid in the wearability factor. All the reviews I have read say that the watch sits nicely on the wrist, but obviously, without trying it on, I won't know how it will sit on my wrist. FWIW, I briefly owned a 41mm Halios Seaforth with fixed bezel, and found it to look comically large on my 6.5" wrist. Although the RM is only one millimeter narrower, I'm wondering if the flatter crystal, wider bezel, lack of crown guards, and shorter lugs will tone down the size.

So, I am asking anyone who owns this watch to tell me what they think, especially regarding how it wears. Bonus points if you have a wrist that is 6.5" or smaller. Maybe someone has pics of it alongside a Datejust, or a Seiko SKX013? Shot in the dark, I know.

Here's a pic of the watch, which I grabbed from a random google search:

Ideally, Omega will release a mid-size version at, I don't know, 36-37mm, but since I assume that is unlikely, this is the one. But if it don't fit, I'm not selling my DJ.

In short, if anyone out there has any experience with this watch that might be helpful in making my decision, please let me know.

Reactions: kramamurthy

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I happen to have both OP 36 and Omega Seamaster Railmaster now (the black/grey dial).

In terms of wearability, the railmaster is far behind OP. I now find that one of the biggest issues of Omega watches is bracelet and being overall chunky (once handled a Seamaster 300M Professional and now Seamaster Railmaster). The case is thick and the bracelet is think too, making the watch heavier. In terms of size, while the lug-to-lug is not long, but as the case size is 40 mm, the dial would look proportionally large on a smaller wrist (like mine). Considering its overall weight and size, I think this watch more fits people with larger wrist size.

But I have to mention that except for the weight, being chunky, and size, the watch is really with quality. The above-mentioned “cons” brings about a feeling of a solid watch. And overall finishing of the watch exudes quality. The light play caused by all brushed finishing of the case and bracelet is delicate. And that dial work and hands playing with light is fantastic.

For me the Railmaster would be perfect if Omega could make it smaller, lighter, and less chunky.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have smaller wrists and the 38mm AT fits amazing, so does the 36 DJ. I tried the 40mm railmaster and felt it was a little too big. Not totally out of the question but I'd rather spend my money on a different timepiece between 36mm to 38mm.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
My wrists are around 6.5", and I think the Railmaster wears very well.

It's a 40mm watch, but the short, curved lugs and pivoted end links make it fairly compact. It's not a slim watch, so it can come across a little stubby, but I would not say it's too large for 6.5" wrists, depending on what you are used to.

It wears quite a bit smaller than my 40mm Rolex GMT, I think mainly due to the lugs and end links. But it's big compared to a 36mm DJ, for sure.

It's an absolutely superb watch, that photos really do not do justice. If you like it without having tried it on, then I suspect you'll really dig it in the metal. It's somehow completely unassuming and modest, simple and clean... Yet absolutely mesmerizing to the wearer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had one (8" wrist) and ended up selling it because of the endlinks. If they would have made the effective lug-to-lug longer i would still have the watch. Which makes me think it should fit really nice for a 6.5" wrist.

Reactions: emgee79

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
It fits smaller wrists very well in my opinion. I have the current generation and the one before it. In my opinion it wears smaller than the previous generations 39mm. The bracelet is okay, but I would swap it for a nice strap and it's perfect. It's an awesome watch and it wears great! Let me know if you have any other questions!?

PXL_20210417_000103129.jpg
PXL_20210416_215304601~2.jpg
PXL_20210419_114934218.jpg
PXL_20210301_122734930.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
I bought mine on the bracelet and it was fine. Switching to the strap made it perfect, I think it wears much better on the strap.
It is a great watch and one of my favorite.
BTW, my wrist is 7 3/4".

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone! After making my post I also perused the Official Railmaster Owner's Thread -- lots of great pics in there. @keerola makes a great point about the endlinks; I actually prefer this style to the Rolex type ones that extend the lug-to-lug for the very reason he mentioned.

Even though I'd be selling my DJ to make room for it, it wouldn't be replacing it in the collection, as I have a couple of other 35-36mm watches that are appropriate for the office. I kind of picture wearing this one after work and on weekends -- when the DJ is a little too formal-looking -- and maybe occasionally at work.

Mostly you've all confirmed what I already knew, that I need to try it on. Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It fits smaller wrists very well in my opinion. I have the current generation and the one before it. In my opinion it wears smaller than the previous generations 39mm. The bracelet is okay, but I would swap it for a nice strap and it's perfect. It's an awesome watch and it wears great! Let me know if you have any other questions!?

View attachment 15836631 View attachment 15836632 View attachment 15836633 View attachment 15836635
I'm curious what issues you had with the bracelet? I'd probably prefer to keep it on the bracelet more often than not.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I'm curious what issues you had with the bracelet? I'd probably prefer to keep it on the bracelet more often than not.
I just dont like bracelets, so I am biased. The bracelet on the previous generation of Railmaster is better. The bracelet on the one you are looking at is fine, especially with 6.5 inch wrists, I do like that there are smaller links for some micro adjustments. Overall you shouldn't have any issues, like I said I am not a bracelet guy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Butterfly style clasp is not maybe the most comfortable, and it is quite wide on the underside. I ended up putting the half links where the clasp ends (on the underside) which made positive difference in wearability.

The watch itself is supercool with full brushed looks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts