WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, came across an older Ulysse Nardin that interested me. I'm not very familiar with the brand so I was wondering if anyone that was could maybe give me an opinion on whether the movement looks correct. Trying to decide between this or an old bumper movement Jaeger LeCoultre so don't want to end up with a franken watch.

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
The pics are a bit fuzzy to make out much but it appears to be an above average movement with 'not added later' markings. There is a decent chance it is real. Hopefully others will know more!

Reactions: radger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seller doesn't know much about it but it is supposed to be a 25 jewel movement. I did some searching around but wasn't able to come up with much information on vintage Ulysse Nardin watches, any suggestions for UN resources?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hi there,

the movement is any of this line:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1656
As far as visible from the phone-cam junk, the finish is above average and there is a serial number. Both indicate authenticy because fakers shy away from excessive efforts. Consider that just a tiny minority reads here, and thus it needs not more than apply an expensive name to fetch an according price.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi all, came across an older Ulysse Nardin that interested me. I'm not very familiar with the brand so I was wondering if anyone that was could maybe give me an opinion on whether the movement looks correct. Trying to decide between this or an old bumper movement Jaeger LeCoultre so don't want to end up with a franken watch.
The movement is likely either a N73 (based on the AS 1673) or a N74 (based on the AS 1674) depending on whether it has a date or not. Worth mentioning is that this movement has had its rotor changed.
The original rotor would have looked like this:

This would make me suspicious of the rest of the watch, especially the movement. What have been done to it? Why was it changed? I have also never seen one these movements with what looks to be a nickel balance?
This is not necessarily a problem, as they may have come equipped with nickel balances too. How is the dial?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does look a lot like the N74 but I found some other pictures of a supposed N74 and there does seem to be some differences.

I'm going to have to ask for some better pictures of the movement. The dial and hands look patina'd and faded in a way I think I would have preferred over how it looked new.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a movement of another I came across.

This one looks fake to me with the minimal markings compared to the others we have been looking at.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got a new picture apparently it is an N73 movement, although it is marked a lot differently than the above N73 movement.

So the balance is fake/not stock?

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
To me, from the original time a saw it, watch looked a fake.
I was surprised Roland thought it genuine.
I think rotor is not original, nor other parts of movement, at best this is a 'marriage' movement or maybe even a 'franken' made up of odd bits and pieces.
Personally I would not buy it
adam

Reactions: dexvd

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hi Adam,

I was surprised Roland thought it genuine.
Sorry for my humble English. I should better have written "both are indicators of authenticy" instead of "both indicate authenticy". Reads similar, but actually is different. After the pics I'm still uncertain whether the balance alloy is yellow or white. But finally I would not buy it either, not because the rotor was probably replaced, but more because I'd wait for a sample in better shape.

Generally I would not resist to pay a brand premium if the according maker actually added individual features to a generic movement, and not only provided a nice finish. UN for instance equipped some movements with Breguet hairspring, which was else not available. But if I wanted to have this AS calibre with its excentric rotor in my collection, I't prefer a mint Mido for half the price of a ruined UN, because they added their precision regulator:

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Thaks the explanation Roland
Appreciated.
We agree fake

Reactions: dexvd
1 - 14 of 14 Posts