WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for years I’ve been an avid outdoor person. Snowboarding, wakebording, camping, backpacking, etc . . . Typically I don’t wear any of my luxury timepieces for most of these activities. But out of curiosity what do you guys wear when camping/backpacking? I had this Bell & Ross awhile back and it was fairly chunky and rugged. Just curious if any of you guys have a go to timepiece for your more rugged outdoor adventures?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
881 Posts
Any watch with a 100m WR is good for me. My standby was my Citizen Nighthawk, then my SKX009, which is pretty much what is on my wrist 5 out of 7 days a week.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any watch with a 100m WR is good for me. My standby was my Citizen Nighthawk, then my SKX009, which is pretty much what is on my wrist 5 out of 7 days a week.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk
The SKX009 seems like it would be a solid choice. On a rubber dive strap seems like it would be pretty rugged.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
My evolution of backpacking watches over the past half decade:

Started with this. Light & comfortable, but the plastic crystal scratched ridiculously easily. And the battery died recently.
811YtxfNOhL._UL1500_.jpg

Then I thought I'd get a mechanical for outdoor use. I like this watch and it's done everything I expected...sadly I don't wear it at all any more because...

outdoor.JPG

I got a Sub, and have find no reason as yet to wear anything else when I'm outdoors. The timing bezel is something I use with regularity (both in my day to day as well as when I'm backpacking/hiking/fishing).

IMG_3595.jpg

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I camp regularly throughout the summer and Use GShocks.. my only gripe with them is legibility at night it's not great (the analogue ones). I have a decent diver incoming and will probably use that or rotate for future trips.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My evolution of backpacking watches over the past half decade:

Started with this. Light & comfortable, but the plastic crystal scratched ridiculously easily. And the battery died recently.
View attachment 14268257

Then I thought I'd get a mechanical for outdoor use. I like this watch and it's done everything I expected...sadly I don't wear it at all any more because...

View attachment 14268261

I got a Sub, and have find no reason as yet to wear anything else when I'm outdoors. The timing bezel is something I use with regularity (both in my day to day as well as when I'm backpacking/hiking/fishing).

View attachment 14268333
Very interesting. I figured someone would use a Sub as their go to for outdoor use, as that was its design ethos in the first place. I know there are a lot of guys who would never wear their Rolex for outdoor adventure use, but let’s face it, that’s what many of the Rolex SS sport models were designed for! Glad to see someone who’s not afraid to wear it properly!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I camp regularly throughout the summer and Use GShocks.. y only gripe with them is legibility at night it's not great. I have a decent diver incoming and will probably use that or rotate for future trips.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
What Diver do you have coming?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
What Diver do you have coming?

A Ginault Ocen Rover 2. Preordered but not likely to get it untill October. I'll put it on rubber for camping trips and hopefully it'll do the trick.

I agree with your comment about the sub by the way. There's a recent running thread about using expensive dive watches for outdoor use with some very mixed opinions.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Vostok 710557. The full lume dial is legible until the sun comes up, the bidirectional timing bezel is handy for cooking everyone's dinner over the campfire, and the open weave perlon dries quickly from sweat or from swimming with the little ones. Inexpensive enough that I'm not worried about it getting banged around.

I could use my G-Shock, but I prefer the timing bezel and being able to still tell the actual time against hitting the mode button a bunch of times.

DSC02788 smaller.jpg

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Crazy avid (back-country) backpacker here. So, when I'm gone on the trail, I'm gone for several days.

I don't take my automatics/mechanicals. I also don't take quartz watches that are due for a battery change any time soon. I could easily enjoy myself with those, but for some odd reason, I just don't. I also can't do digital watch because I wear progressive lenses in my glasses, and so when I'm trying to sleep, I don't want to reach for my glasses to "read" the time, which can be a hassle in a hammock. I'd rather "see" the time, not "read" it, if that makes sense. A nice, clean, analog clock layout allows me to "see" the time.

That said, I plug Bertucci's watches a lot around here, and that's because I'm pretty impressed with what you get for the price. I have the time-only 36mm white dial A-1S on a green single-pass olive green NATO. It's small, light, durable, easy to read, lume ain't too bad, the crystal sits below the bezel to protect against flat strikes, 100m WR, screw-down crown in 4 o'clock position, accurate, and frankly, has a "WW1 meets Vietnam" badass look to it that I love when I'm in the outdoors. For me, it checked more boxes than I even knew I had! I also kayak and day-hike with it a lot. Reviews for the brand are very positive, and from people who put them through hell and back: peace corps workers, F-18 pilots, fire fighters, contractors, infantry, Navy SEALS, etc. etc. Check it out.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts