WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Camping/Backpacking Watch

36K views 320 replies 145 participants last post by  scooby 
#1 ·
So for years I've been an avid outdoor person. Snowboarding, wakebording, camping, backpacking, etc . . . Typically I don't wear any of my luxury timepieces for most of these activities. But out of curiosity what do you guys wear when camping/backpacking? I had this Bell & Ross awhile back and it was fairly chunky and rugged. Just curious if any of you guys have a go to timepiece for your more rugged outdoor adventures?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#13 ·
My evolution of backpacking watches over the past half decade:

Started with this. Light & comfortable, but the plastic crystal scratched ridiculously easily. And the battery died recently.
Watch Watch accessory Digital clock Strap Analog watch

Then I thought I'd get a mechanical for outdoor use. I like this watch and it's done everything I expected...sadly I don't wear it at all any more because...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

I got a Sub, and have find no reason as yet to wear anything else when I'm outdoors. The timing bezel is something I use with regularity (both in my day to day as well as when I'm backpacking/hiking/fishing).

Water Rock Geology Watch Grass

#15 ·
My evolution of backpacking watches over the past half decade:

Started with this. Light & comfortable, but the plastic crystal scratched ridiculously easily. And the battery died recently.
View attachment 14268257

Then I thought I'd get a mechanical for outdoor use. I like this watch and it's done everything I expected...sadly I don't wear it at all any more because...

View attachment 14268261

I got a Sub, and have find no reason as yet to wear anything else when I'm outdoors. The timing bezel is something I use with regularity (both in my day to day as well as when I'm backpacking/hiking/fishing).

View attachment 14268333
Very interesting. I figured someone would use a Sub as their go to for outdoor use, as that was its design ethos in the first place. I know there are a lot of guys who would never wear their Rolex for outdoor adventure use, but let's face it, that's what many of the Rolex SS sport models were designed for! Glad to see someone who's not afraid to wear it properly!! [emoji1376][emoji1376]

#19 ·
Vostok 710557. The full lume dial is legible until the sun comes up, the bidirectional timing bezel is handy for cooking everyone's dinner over the campfire, and the open weave perlon dries quickly from sweat or from swimming with the little ones. Inexpensive enough that I'm not worried about it getting banged around.

I could use my G-Shock, but I prefer the timing bezel and being able to still tell the actual time against hitting the mode button a bunch of times.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

#23 ·
Vostok 710557. The full lume dial is legible until the sun comes up, the bidirectional timing bezel is handy for cooking everyone's dinner over the campfire, and the open weave perlon dries quickly from sweat or from swimming with the little ones. Inexpensive enough that I'm not worried about it getting banged around.

I could use my G-Shock, but I prefer the timing bezel and being able to still tell the actual time against hitting the mode button a bunch of times.

View attachment 14268419
Now that's solid info for sure. A good lume goes a long way in my opinion. And having a solid way to time cooking meals is always an issue. I hate using my cellphone for that kind of thing as I'd just rather not have my phone out or even on when I'm backpacking!

#20 ·
Crazy avid (back-country) backpacker here. So, when I'm gone on the trail, I'm gone for several days.

I don't take my automatics/mechanicals. I also don't take quartz watches that are due for a battery change any time soon. I could easily enjoy myself with those, but for some odd reason, I just don't. I also can't do digital watch because I wear progressive lenses in my glasses, and so when I'm trying to sleep, I don't want to reach for my glasses to "read" the time, which can be a hassle in a hammock. I'd rather "see" the time, not "read" it, if that makes sense. A nice, clean, analog clock layout allows me to "see" the time.

That said, I plug Bertucci's watches a lot around here, and that's because I'm pretty impressed with what you get for the price. I have the time-only 36mm white dial A-1S on a green single-pass olive green NATO. It's small, light, durable, easy to read, lume ain't too bad, the crystal sits below the bezel to protect against flat strikes, 100m WR, screw-down crown in 4 o'clock position, accurate, and frankly, has a "WW1 meets Vietnam" badass look to it that I love when I'm in the outdoors. For me, it checked more boxes than I even knew I had! I also kayak and day-hike with it a lot. Reviews for the brand are very positive, and from people who put them through hell and back: peace corps workers, F-18 pilots, fire fighters, contractors, infantry, Navy SEALS, etc. etc. Check it out.

#25 ·
If I was venturing into the back of beyond I'd probably want to take a G Shock Rangeman with me. Preferably the Rangebeast but it is a bit of a brute (understatement alert) so the smaller 9400 would still be in with a chance.
Thanks for the info. I'm always at a loss for which G Shocks to look at because there are SO MANY models now. That narrows it down for sure. Much appreciated.

#34 ·
I hike anywhere from 30-50 miles every year which usually includes 4-5 day camping trips and I always use my Casio. It's cheap, decently reliable, WR to 100m, and if it breaks I won't be too upset at all.

If I we're going to take a more "luxury" piece with me it would probably be the Alpinist, but on a NATO strap, not leather.

Part of me really wishes I had an Explorer or some other type of watch synonymous with adventure to take with me...but if I did have one I probably wouldn't cause I'd be too scared to break it haha

#40 ·
I'm hoping to thru hike the Sheltowee Trace this fall. Right now my three most likely choices are a solar G shock, ABC solar ProTrek and my tritium Bertucci. I can see how the ABC functions might be useful on the Trail.
Seems like a solid choice. There have been times the ABC functions would have come in handy for me in the past. Something to consider for the future for sure. Especially the "C"! I typically have a pretty good sense of direction, but some places turn you around pretty easily. Having a reliable compass on you wrist is never a bad thing when your in the wild! Lol

#169 ·
(1) It specs a far more accurate movement than COSC certification. 0/+5 vs. -4/+6. Maybe that doesn't matter to you personally, but it's a 50% better accuracy range (5 seconds against 10), so that's not marketing. It's an increase in accuracy, much like Rolex's superlative chronometer rating of -2/+2.

(2) People experience magnetic fields everyday. Sitting at my desk right now I count 8 magnets within two feet of my watch. Not that it's much, but human beings also emit a magnetic field. 15,000 gauss may be over the top, but it's nice to know that if I leave my watch next to my laptop that it won't become magnetized. Or, if, you know, I am at a hospital where there are machines that emit a large amount of magnetism, I can worry about the task at hand.

So it's not "pure" marketing. Their new deep dive watch, yeah, that's pure marketing. But while 15,000 gauss may be more than necessary for most people (though, if you've ever had an MRI, you've been subjected to around 15,000 gauss), it's a useful shield. And if you don't value mechanical accuracy, well, I don't know what to tell you, but lots of people do.

Sorry for the aside, but sometimes this faux-iconoclast cynicism needs to be called out. Of course there's a marketing element, but it's not purely for marketing purposes. Both the accuracy standards and magnetic resistance are accomplishments in watchmaking that are useful to watch wearers.

#50 ·
Another one here who wears his Rolex while hiking, in my case the Explorer II. In fact it is my only Rolex, and I bought it specifically as my outdoor adventure watch. I throw it on a NATO much of the time.

However, this summer we plan to do a good bit of camping, and I decided to look for a dedicated camping watch (translation, I used that as an excuse to look for another watch :-d). I wanted something tough, but not overly obtrusive, and I figured something with a diving bezel could come in handy for cooking. The Seiko SBBN031 Tuna seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

Also, a G-Shock as others have mentioned is always a great option, especially when you consider some of the ones with ABC functions and sunrise/sunset.

The point for me is however, the reason you go with G-Shock (or whichever brand) should not be limited strictly to the fact that you don't care about harming that particular watch. I truly believe that as watch enthusiasts we should be wearing watches we enjoy first and foremost. I enjoy spending time outdoors immensely, and I don't want that to be detached from my love of watches. I want to wear my favorite watches without worry of the odd scratch or two while I'm out living life and making memories. For me that is the way I get the most out of this hobby.

Mountain Watch Sky Vehicle Mountain range

Natural landscape Nature Wilderness Water resources Water

Natural landscape Nature Water resources Wilderness Natural environment

Watch Fashion accessory State park Vehicle Rock

Watch Water Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Fashion accessory Watch Jewellery Rock Ring

Nature Natural landscape Watch Water resources Water

Nature Green Water Water resources Natural landscape

Tire Nature Automotive tire Watch Wilderness

Geology Watch Rock Dive computer State park

#52 ·
Another one here who wears his Rolex while hiking, in my case the Explorer II. In fact it is my only Rolex, and I bought it specifically as my outdoor adventure watch. I throw it on a NATO much of the time.

However, this summer we plan to do a good bit of camping, and I decided to look for a dedicated camping watch (translation, I used that as an excuse to look for another watch :-d). I wanted something tough, but not overly obtrusive, and I figured something with a diving bezel could come in handy for cooking. The Seiko SBBN031 Tuna seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

Also, a G-Shock as others have mentioned is always a great option, especially when you consider some of the ones with ABC functions and sunrise/sunset.

The point for me is however, the reason you go with G-Shock (or whichever brand) should not be limited strictly to the fact that you don't care about harming that particular watch. I truly believe that as watch enthusiasts we should be wearing watches we enjoy first and foremost. I enjoy spending time outdoors immensely, and I don't want that to be detached from my love of watches. I want to wear my favorite watches without worry of the odd scratch or two while I'm out living life and making memories. For me that is the way I get the most out of this hobby.

View attachment 14268849

View attachment 14268855

View attachment 14268857

View attachment 14268863

View attachment 14268841

View attachment 14268875

View attachment 14268877

View attachment 14268879

View attachment 14268881

View attachment 14268835
Those are amazing pictures!!

#53 ·
Nine times out of ten it is the Garmin Descent MK I. I am not generally in the woods for more than three or four days at a time so there is plenty of battery. That being said I would be happy with anything that had 100 m water resistance. The Bertucci watches mentioned earlier are really great for the price. I also like the Momentum Steelix (you can get a sapphire crystal if you order direct. I have also found that the Momentum's and Bertucci's make great impromptu gifts to nieces, nephews, and brother in laws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.