WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's late at night and I'm bored. So here's some fun questions:

Can a Gshock survive an electro-magnetic storm?

Can a Gshock survive an EMP?

Can a Gshock survive gamma radiation?

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's late at night and I'm bored. So here's some fun questions:

Can a Gshock survive an electro-magnetic storm?

Can a Gshock survive an EMP?

Can a Gshock survive gamma radiation?
Were you watching 24 again? ;-)

I think in Season 2 or 3, Jack wears a DW-6600 and after an EMP blast it doesnt work so he switches to a Kobold (who hasnt had to that, eh?).

Storm - yes, I would say so. As long as you're not Superman and actually flying through it.
EMP - Probably not. With the exception of the Gaussman I think (no longer in production).
Gamma radiation - Its all around us man. Probably, unless it was really concentrated and then you probably wouldnt survive anyway.

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
6,655 Posts
EMP is electro magnetic pulse.
Its a blast on almost all radio frequencies on very high power.
Almost no electronic device from today will survive that except its designed for (some, but not all military electronic gear).

The gausman was designed to withstand some magnetic fields.
No chance in case of EMP.
Since EMPs are created from nuclear weapons, there are much more important consequences then a defective watch. :-(

Were you watching 24 again? ;-)

EMP - Probably not. With the exception of the Gaussman I think (no longer in production).
QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Since EMPs are created from nuclear weapons, there are much more important consequences then a defective watch. :-(
Actually, you don't need nuclear weaponry to generate EMP. But yes, since G-Shocks are mainly civilian equipment, they stand no chance against it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'm a chemist and one of the first lectures is: poison is not the problem. The problem is how much poison... The same is true for electromagnetic waves (storm/EMP) and gamma waves. ;-)
Gamma waves are part of the natural radiation. Should your G get damaged because of large amounts of radiation, you don't have to worry anymore, because you can't take as much ;-)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
More realistic test questions perhaps....

Can a G-Shock survive a new puppy?

Can a G-Shock survive eight year old twin boys?

Can a G-Shock survive the "mosh pit" at a thrash metal concert?

Can a G-Shock survive being accidentally forced down the garbage disposal unit?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not 24 which inspired these questions. It's just that I need to prepare for the inevitable day when Decepticons from space invades us and shorts out everything military with an EMP blast. And after the attack, humanity has to go into deep space to survive so there'll be gamma radiation.:-d

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't believe that Tom's ever done a G-shock. But given some of the crazy stuff he *has* blended (a pair of skis being the most extreme I can think of), I wouldn't bet on *any* G - including the Mudman - surviving the experience.

Great way to sell a kitchen appliance, though.

·
Banned
15 Posts
my old trusty Gulfman survived numerous 20 - 25m diving seasons albeit the user manual states its not suitable for divining... i guess G Shocks are more capable than what the manual claim or i'm just lucky.. :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
During a zombie outbreak, the watch will survive. Not sure about the user though unless they're part of a zombie killing squad. b-)

How 'bout Zombies? Have they been discussed yet?

·
Registered
209 Posts
My GW6900-1 has survived my 8-month old son's craving to put everything in his mouth... :-!

·
Registered
182 Posts
"I'm a chemist and one of the first lectures is:"

i wish i could pick your brain for a while.. organic and bio chem is kickin my ars right now....lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts