WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I took 1 movement with a standard pin/screw regulator system, and another movement with a freesprung balance wheel, would it be possible to switch them around? Let's assume the balance wheels were a similar size. I would be very interested in experimenting with a freesprung balance conversion if it's at all possible.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
If I took 1 movement with a standard pin/screw regulator system, and another movement with a freesprung balance wheel, would it be possible to switch them around? Let's assume the balance wheels were a similar size. I would be very interested in experimenting with a freesprung balance conversion if it's at all possible.
Just take your regulator off and you've got it. You might want to shorten your hairspring just a little bit [don't forget to correct the beat error] and add some quarter screws for timing. By using progressively heavier screws (and undercutting if necessary) you can achieve gross regulation. The screws can then be turned in or out (in unison) for fine timing. Better yet - use a Portescape (hairspring length adjusting) regulator on a moveable arm (for beat adjustment).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts