WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm pretty much a watch noob. I have heard of a watch getting magnetized, and if I understand correctly, it can cause a mechanical or auto to run fast or slow?

So my "beater" watch is a Hamilton Khaki quartz. Sometimes I take it off at work if I think a particular job may be rough on it. So I took my watch off this morning, and set it on a random box. Later in the day I went to put my watch back on, and it was about 6 hours behind, and not moving. It's only 6 weeks old. Damn. So I picked it up to see if the crown had been pulled out, but no. But now the watch was running. WTH? Then I looked at the box, and it contained a guitar pickup that I had swapped out a while back, and I remembered hearing about a watch getting magnetized. So I set the watch back on the box and it kept running until I moved it to the same spot, (where the pickup was) and it stopped again until I picked it up. Ok, I know why it stopped, but did I do any damage to it? I reset it to NIST time and 2 1/2 hrs. later it is still spot on, but that's not long enough IMO to be sure it's still accurate.

What say the WUS experts?

Thank You,

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it sat on a magnet for 6 hrs., but after 2 days it seems to be running spot on. So I guess the answer is no. The link posted above also suggested the effect was only temporary. It said the watch would stop while on the magnet, but resume normal operation when removed.

Thank You,

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts