WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a wegner watch that was supposed to be authentic, it had the box and everything, even tags, everything looked real till I opened it and found the "swiss mechanism" is all made of cheap plastic including the cogwheels.

Is it fake 100% or do wenger made plastic internals ?
Also the back stainless casing says Made In China

If it's fake, I will give the name of the ebayer that sold me this.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
Yes, being Swiss does not preclude it from having plastic parts inside. What kind of movement does it have? It's also likely that the case was made in China, hence the "Made in China."

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
You are referring to a 'quartz' movement right? that's how QUARTZ movements are......most of the volume of the movement is plastic spacer material

Most all quartz movements, whether swiss or japanese, are like this.

$500- $2000 Swiss Made Omega, Tag etc quartz watches probably have some plastic in it.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
How about a picture of the movement in question? I mean, you went to all the trouble to open the thing up, so why not snap a Q & D?

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,706 Posts
I purchased a wegner watch that was supposed to be authentic, it had the box and everything, even tags, everything looked real till I opened it and found the "swiss mechanism" is all made of cheap plastic including the cogwheels.

If it's fake, I will give the name of the ebayer that sold me this.
Sure as long as the plastic parts are swiss made it can be called a swiss mechanism I suppose. No different than with metal parts made in switzerland. But why is the country of origin for the movement so important??:-s

I don't think it makes much difference where the movement was technically made. If it's a quartz movement I would be more comfortable with a Seiko/Citizen/Casio/Tmex movement from China simply because they are so good at making reliable cheap movements.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

A quartz movement can certainly have plenty of plastic parts, and you can have plastic spacer rings around any movement. There have even been plastic mechanical movements, although those are probably quite rare.

Look up the definition of what it means for a watch to have "Swiss Made" on the dial. It's certainly possible for the case to state Made in China on a "Swiss Made" watch. "Swiss Made" probably does not mean what you thought it should mean...

Do post a good picture of your watch and we may be able to tell if it's an authentic or not, but I suspect you did receive an authentic watch. It's probably a very fine watch that will give you many years of good service, but it's probably not made where you thought it was made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts