WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've worn an Oris automatic while sleeping over the last few days and worn a different watch during the day. It led me to start thinking about how much movement it takes to for an automatic to wind. Would eight hours of normal sleep with normal position changes and tossing/turning be enough to keep the watch wound?

Does anyone know, or is this a case for MythBusters?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Pretty sure my 2 year old daughter could... the rest of us.... not unless you have a muscle disorder of some kind.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
"The passive inhibition of movement during non-REM sleep is called disfacilitation. The active inhibition of movement during REM sleep is called REM atony. The physiological mechanisms facilitating disfacilitation and REM atony are not completely understood. What is known is that disfacilitation differs from REM atony. While disfacilitation is related to decreased brain activity, REM atony is a complex and mysterious response to chemical and electrical connections in brain cells. REM atony is a highly selective mechanism suppressing most motor movement while allowing variable heartbeat, breathing, sexual arousal and eye movement (hence REM's namesake). REM atony is so specialized that while some visual areas are highly active, most of the visual cortex is inhibited. This gives rise to the confused nature of dreams."

Reactions: TimeSaver

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Can? Yes. Will? Not for most.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
"The passive inhibition of movement during non-REM sleep is called disfacilitation. The active inhibition of movement during REM sleep is called REM atony. The physiological mechanisms facilitating disfacilitation and REM atony are not completely understood. What is known is that disfacilitation differs from REM atony. While disfacilitation is related to decreased brain activity, REM atony is a complex and mysterious response to chemical and electrical connections in brain cells. REM atony is a highly selective mechanism suppressing most motor movement while allowing variable heartbeat, breathing, sexual arousal and eye movement (hence REM's namesake). REM atony is so specialized that while some visual areas are highly active, most of the visual cortex is inhibited. This gives rise to the confused nature of dreams."

There's a little blue pill for all of these problems and if you are alone - it should wind it just fine.

Reactions: Lava Lamp

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Starting to think maybe I do have a disorder...

·
Premium Member
38,944 Posts
Why on earth do you take another watch off and then put the Oris on when you go to bed? There have been a few threads about people sleeping with their watch on, but I never thought someone would change watches to match their pyjamas!

·
Registered
9,454 Posts
Well automatics build up their power reserve by the wearers movement. And when you are asleep you are not moving. So you, er, do the math.

Seriously, I think if I changed into a fresh watch just to go to bed my wife would think I had gone a little crazy...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
... Depends if you toss and turn a lot (mainly toss).

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I've had 2 automatics lose hours during my sleep. Now I believe they ran down and then got started again by a few random jerks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously, I think if I changed into a fresh watch just to go to bed my wife would think I had gone a little crazy...
Mostly, she gets annoyed when I charge up the lume with a flashlight before hitting the sheets...

Reactions: HaleL

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why on earth do you take another watch off and then put the Oris on when you go to bed? There have been a few threads about people sleeping with their watch on, but I never thought someone would change watches to match their pyjamas!
Too many watches, I reckon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts