WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering adding an Octo Finissimo of some sort to the collection as I find the design very compelling. I understand that as a 40mm square watch, it wears larger than its stated size. Some have said it wears visually closer to a 42mm round watch?

I wanted to get some feedback as I have not made it to a boutique to try one on yet, but I figured maybe some owners could attest to its wearability and maybe provide some reference to comparable wearing pieces in their collection? Also I would like to know any feelings about its versatility in fitting in with causal/smart casual clothing.

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet and I figured if I go to an AD to try one on, I might walk out with something in the heat of the moment I may grow to dislike, given how enamored I am by the pictures online. Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Tried the blue steel version yesterday. Was so blown away and absolutely in love with the watch. I have a 6.5 inch wrist, and I think I can easily pull it off. Sorry for the hastily taken picture.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the blue steel version yesterday. Was so blown away and absolutely in love with the watch. I have a 6.5 inch wrist, and I think I can easily pull it off. Sorry for the hastily taken picture. View attachment 15531191
Wow, that's a really nice looking dial. I was leaning towards a titanium or possibly black dial SS, but some of the pictures I've seen of the blue dial have been lust-worthy, so I haven't written that off as a contender. I have a 7" flat wrist and can wear up to 45mm, but I tend to prefer 38-42mm watches, which is why I'm worried the Octo may be at my upper limit or exceed it. What sizes do you normally wear? Can you equate it roughly to a round watch as far as wrist presence?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Well I usually wear 39-42.5mm but can get away with upwards to 45mm for a flieger watch. It is very very thin so this accounts for something...it can literally slip under any cuff. That being said it has a presence...I'd say probably 43mm...doesn't feel as overwhelming as a 45, nor as balanced as a 41 or 42.

A 39mm Epos 3408:

42mm (really 42.5) Tag Heuer Autavia:

A 45mm Stuhrling Original Aviator:

Reactions: SinCity

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I usually wear 39-42.5mm but can get away with upwards to 45mm for a flieger watch. It is very very thin so this accounts for something...it can literally slip under any cuff. That being said it has a presence...I'd say probably 43mm...doesn't feel as overwhelming as a 45, nor as balanced as a 41 or 42.

A 39mm Epos 3408:
View attachment 15531199

42mm (really 42.5) Tag Heuer Autavia:
View attachment 15531200

A 45mm Stuhrling Original Aviator:
View attachment 15531201
Thanks for the pics! It looks like it's closer to the TAG than the Stuhrling, which is what I'm looking for. It does look considerably bigger than the 39mm Epos though. Would you concur? I know I need to just get into an AD and see for myself, but I've already almost bought one sight unseen and I've been caught up in the moment before and regretted it. It is such a unique and beautiful design, but I want to make sure I'll wear it as I've been favoring my 38-41mm watches over the last six months or so. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks for the pics! It looks like it's closer to the TAG than the Stuhrling, which is what I'm looking for. It does look considerably bigger than the 39mm Epos though. Would you concur? I know I need to just get into an AD and see for myself, but I've already almost bought one sight unseen and I've been caught up in the moment before and regretted it. It is such a unique and beautiful design, but I want to make sure I'll wear it as I've been favoring my 38-41mm watches over the last six months or so. Thank you for your input!
Certainly larger than the Epos, but in a way similar as the Epos is 5.9mm thin. You have to put this Bvlgari on to appreciate the absurdity of how thin this watch is. It's almost like just wearing a bracelet with no watch. It feels closer to the Tag than the Sturhling, but I'd probably be more apt to grab it as a daily wear because of the thinness. I think the watch itself can be dressed up or down with ease, also. If you are concerned about it being too large, the Octo Roma line is nice too. As for me, I expect to own a Finissimo...one day 🤞

Reactions: SinCity

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Certainly larger than the Epos, but in a way similar as the Epos is 5.9mm thin. You have to put this Bvlgari on to appreciate the absurdity of how thin this watch is. It's almost like just wearing a bracelet with no watch. It feels closer to the Tag than the Sturhling, but I'd probably be more apt to grab it as a daily wear because of the thinness. I think the watch itself can be dressed up or down with ease, also. If you are concerned about it being too large, the Octo Roma line is nice too. As for me, I expect to own a Finissimo...one day 🤞
Yes, I have heard that about the Finissimo. My ceramic 38mm Laureato is what got me appreciating lightness in a watch. Unfortunately, though I do like the Roma and 38mm Octo, it is either the Finissimo or nothing for me. The thinness along with the facets is what I find extraordinary. I have a 42mm El Primero that I never wear though because it's almost all dial and a Tutima Saxon One that is a large cushion case I also don't wear, so mentally those are my references for what I would consider "too large" for my current preferences. I better just find a boutique to try some Octos on and leave the credit cards out of reach at home. Lol. If you get an Octo please do post some more pics! They are incredible watches imo!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yes, I have heard that about the Finissimo. My ceramic 38mm Laureato is what got me appreciating lightness in a watch. Unfortunately, though I do like the Roma and 38mm Octo, it is either the Finissimo or nothing for me. The thinness along with the facets is what I find extraordinary. I have a 42mm El Primero that I never wear though because it's almost all dial and a Tutima Saxon One that is a large cushion case I also don't wear, so mentally those are my references for what I would consider "too large" for my current preferences. I better just find a boutique to try some Octos on and leave the credit cards out of reach at home. Lol. If you get an Octo please do post some more pics! They are incredible watches imo!
You might be a risk if you think the 42 el primero wears too big on you. As I agree it wears like a 42mm watch. I have a 7.25” wrist and wear 40-44mm watches, and I refuse to wear anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might be a risk if you think the 42 el primero wears too big on you. As I agree it wears like a 42mm watch. I have a 7.25” wrist and wear 40-44mm watches, and I refuse to wear anything

Yes, I think my El Primero is a bit too large for me now, but I have a GO Sport Evolution that is also 42mm and it wears smaller. I have a Certina DS PH200M that is 43mm and I like as it also wears a bit smaller. I think the issue with the El Primero is its all dial and my tastes have skewed to the smaller side. The Octo Finissimo looks like the dial is quite a bit smaller than the EP's. I do worry the Octo will be right at the edge of my preferences though and Bvlgaris seem to be tough to move if I end up not loving it. I guess I'll have to see if it wears more like my EP or more like my GO. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yes, I think my El Primero is a bit too large for me now, but I have a GO Sport Evolution that is also 42mm and it wears smaller. I have a Certina DS PH200M that is 43mm and I like as it also wears a bit smaller. I think the issue with the El Primero is its all dial and my tastes have skewed to the smaller side. The Octo Finissimo looks like the dial is quite a bit smaller than the EP's. I do worry the Octo will be right at the edge of my preferences though and Bvlgaris seem to be tough to move if I end up not loving it. I guess I'll have to see if it wears more like my EP or more like my GO. Thanks for your input!
I don’t know what happened to my original post. About 2/3 of the post is missing. Lol

But without typing it all back out. Essentially was saying the Finissimo definitely wears like a 42mm watch minimum. Has decent wrist presence. So looks big on the wrist as far as space it takes up. But as the other said, the thinness helps it some.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don’t know what happened to my original post. About 2/3 of the post is missing. Lol

But without typing it all back out. Essentially was saying the Finissimo definitely wears like a 42mm watch minimum.

Good to know! Thanks

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Tried one on just for a lark (way too expensive for what you get, so I wouldn't consider it myself) and was way too big for my 7" wrist--I wear the watch below the wrist joint (forearm side), not above as in the odd pictures above--when worn above the wrist joint (hand-side), the case corners would be more than uncomfortable, I would think. So, think big, in the neighborhood of wearing a 42 to 44mm "regular" cased watch--I doubt it would work on a 6.5 inch wrist.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I didn’t buy either, but here’s the Solotempo on my 7.0” wrist. I didn’t take a pic of the Finissimo for some reason.
The Finissimo threw me for a loop on the wrist. It’s so thin, flat, & light it felt almost discordant as a watch. It’s quite monochromatic with the dial, case and bracelet all matching material & finish. The Solo felt more familiarly watch-like on my wrist and the added color and texture of the leather strap initially seemed more visually appealing to me.
All that said, the Finissimo is beautiful and I’ve earmarked it for another test drive now that the surprise of its attributes has hopefully worn off.

Here’s my 42mm Panerai for reference.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree with the assessment that it wears like a 42mm. I have a 7" wrist, and I really like the feel - perfect for me. Additionally, the thinness really does help to make it "feel" really nice on the wrist. No overhang and no top-heaviness.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tried one on just for a lark (way too expensive for what you get, so I wouldn't consider it myself) and was way too big for my 7" wrist--I wear the watch below the wrist joint (forearm side), not above as in the odd pictures above--when worn above the wrist joint (hand-side), the case corners would be more than uncomfortable, I would think. So, think big, in the neighborhood of wearing a 42 to 44mm "regular" cased watch--I doubt it would work on a 6.5 inch wrist.
Thanks for your input. My wrist is also 7" and 42mm is about my maximum preferred size. Out of curiosity, what makes you think that the Octo is overpriced for what you get? In what respects?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn’t buy either, but here’s the Solotempo on my 7.0” wrist. I didn’t take a pic of the Finissimo for some reason.
The Finissimo threw me for a loop on the wrist. It’s so thin, flat, & light it felt almost discordant as a watch. It’s quite monochromatic with the dial, case and bracelet all matching material & finish. The Solo felt more familiarly watch-like on my wrist and the added color and texture of the leather strap initially seemed more visually appealing to me.
All that said, the Finissimo is beautiful and I’ve earmarked it for another test drive now that the surprise of its attributes has hopefully worn off.

Here’s my 42mm Panerai for reference.

Those both look great on your wrist, which is the same size as mine. The Panerai looks like it might be a touch smaller, but it could also be the angle and distance from your wrist?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts