WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I just obtained this cool radial dial Wyler and am wondering if anyone can narrow down when it was made. It has a bumper automatic with hand winding. It looks to be from the 30s or 40s but can anyone narrow it down any further? Thanks.

IMG_20190611_190311367.jpg
IMG_20190610_185339971.jpg
IMG_20190610_185520694_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi,

In a quick glance I'd say early to mid-1940s from the dial and hands design. If you have a pic of the movement we could say more ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

In a quick glance I'd say early to mid-1940s from the dial and hands design. If you have a pic of the movement we could say more ;)
I am reluctant to open the case because it is front loaded and has that special Wyler bezel set-up. I don't know it is actually difficult or simple to open, but it has been serviced within the last 2 years and I would rather not take the thing out and expose it to unnecessary dust etc.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I am reluctant to open the case because it is front loaded and has that special Wyler bezel set-up. I don't know it is actually difficult or simple to open, but it has been serviced within the last 2 years and I would rather not take the thing out and expose it to unnecessary dust etc.
If you know who has serviced it, you should find out what movement is in there.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Reactions: jenya79

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,993 Posts
Exactly. And I must say that the OP's original question was perfectly sensible and the joke seems to have been drawn out a little until it was rather thin..... :roll:

Normally, I'd amalgamate the two threads. This time, I will just close the original one and hope that this one gathers some more sensible and informative replies. I will also cross-link to this one.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly. And I must say that the OP's original question was perfectly sensible and the joke seems to have been drawn out a little until it was rather thin..... :roll:

Normally, I'd amalgamate the two threads. This time, I will just close the original one and hope that this one gathers some more sensible and informative replies. I will also cross-link to this one.

Hartmut Richter
Thank you Hartmut. I was rather starting to get frustrated. I was really hoping to get some good education on Wyler as it seems to be a very cool company with great history and innovations.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, all I know about them is what's written in Ranfft's database:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Wyler, Paul Wyler & Co, Fabrique des Montres SA, Bienne, Basel, New York

To the best of my knowledge, they are best known for their "Incaflex" design of the balance wheel. A specimen can be seen here:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Wyler AS 1382N

Hartmut Richter
Thank you for the reply Hartmut. I am aware of the Incaflex. It is a very simple yet effective solution. It's a wonder other brands did not take up a similar balance wheel. They also had a method of waterproofing that did not require gaskets. Which is pretty handy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts